Claimed off Waivers: Flyers claim Calvin Pickard

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Why is Pickard shown as "non-roster" on CapFriendly?

weve designated him as non roster because he isnt with the team yet. Hell be meeting us in Vegas, and at that point, well send someone down off the roster (weises was never officially loaned to Lehigh, its likely him).

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Wait a minute.

So you're telling me that Toronto waived both of these guys, so they could have Garret Sparks be their backup?

Now maybe I'm the one that's dumb here and I've got this all wrong, but that's a DUMB move if I'm right. Both the guys they waived have proven to be better goalies than Sparks, who was brutal when he played in the NHL a few years back. I understand McElhinney, he's older and has no future, but Pickard should have been the Leafs backup over Sparks.

So what happens if Andersen gets injured? They might be in some trouble. And if he's healthy, he might be playing even more than he did the past two years.
Sparks was 22 years old when he debuted for the 30th placed Leafs, what did you expect? Since then he's become the first rookie goalie in Leafs history to record a shutout in their debut, won AHL goalie of the year, won a Calder Cup, and has a career AHL sv% slightly under .930

He's progressed exceptionally well for a 7th round pick. He outperformed Pickard (who you think is better) head to head in the AHL. Sparks is also 10 years younger than McBackup and 1 year younger than Pickard.

Reactions: Mork

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sparks was 22 years old when he debuted for the 30th placed Leafs, what did you expect? Since then he's become the first rookie goalie in Leafs history to record a shutout in their debut, won AHL goalie of the year, won a Calder Cup, and has a career AHL sv% slightly under .930

He's progressed exceptionally well for a 7th round pick. He outperformed Pickard (who you think is better) head to head in the AHL. Sparks is also 10 years younger than McBackup and 1 year younger than Pickard.
I'm still not much of a believer in Sparks and think the Leafs probably need a better backup to rest Andersen more, who probably plays more than he should.

As far as McBackup goes, I wouldn't consider him a loss for the Leafs at all. He always fails the eye test for me, even though he's had some solid play over the last two years.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'm still not much of a believer in Sparks and think the Leafs probably need a better backup to rest Andersen more, who probably plays more than he should.

As far as McBackup goes, I wouldn't consider him a loss for the Leafs at all. He always fails the eye test for me, even though he's had some solid play over the last two years.
Neither am I in all honesty, but Mc/Pickard are UFAs at the end of the year. The former overachieved and is just too old, while the latter was always lower on the depth chart. Dubas is banking on Sparks' ceiling, which is the highest of the three, but there is considerable risk due to his unorthodox style.

I still think it was the best decision under the circumstances. Sparks would have been the biggest loss. Toronto will probably re-claim one of these two goalies if the chance arises; Babcock is a fan of both.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Meh. I'm not as big a fan of Picard as some but considering the other goalies that are available such as Mason, it seems to me they could have gotten a better back up. I guess we'll see though.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Meh. I'm not as big a fan of Picard as some but considering the other goalies that are available such as Mason, it seems to me they could have gotten a better back up. I guess we'll see though.
I wouldn't sign Mason if he was the only available goalie. I can't stand him, and he was not very well liked in the Flyers locker room.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Oh right. Lol. I totally forgot about his time there. Ya I'd hate him too. Not a bad signing I guess.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

He outperformed Pickard (who you think is better) head to head in the AHL.

ahl means NOTHING

at age 22 in the NHL:
16 games .932 Pickard
17 games ,893 Sparks

at age 23 in the NHL:
20 games .922 Pickard
nothing Sparks

at age 24 in the NHL:
50 games .904 Pickard
nothing Sparks

If Sparks is so good he should outperform at age 25 what Pickard did at age 23. Do you really believe he can. Sparks would need to be better than Andersen last season who was only .918

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Any source or reasons behind that? Not being accusatory, just curious.

I can't find the source, but there was apparently some locker room 'issues' after the Flyers let go of Jeff Reese, who Mason was fond of . Nothing terribly egrigious but apparently he was pretty miserable immediately following that.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I can't find the source, but there was apparently some locker room 'issues' after the Flyers let go of Jeff Reese, who Mason was fond of . Nothing terribly egrigious but apparently he was pretty miserable immediately following that.
Yeah because our idiot coach forced a goalie to play who still wasn't 100% healthy. Reece disagreed, so he quit

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah because our idiot coach forced a goalie to play who still wasn't 100% healthy. Reece disagreed, so he quit

Correct, But when people see 'locker room issue' they tend to think of like the guy being a total ass. From what i remember Mason wasnt a jerk to anyone on the team, he was just unhappy with the decision to let go the goalie coach who pretty much revived his career. Just wanted to point out the difference.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Correct, But when people see 'locker room issue' they tend to think of like the guy being a total ass. From what i remember Mason wasnt a jerk to anyone on the team, he was just unhappy with the decision to let go the goalie coach who pretty much revived his career. Just wanted to point out the difference.
Yeah that's true.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I think it's a great pickup for Philly!

I remember thinking he'd be a very good #1 in this league back then in the WHL then he had a good start with the AVS.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
This theory that is likely correct that the Leafs will just outscore all of the other teams is funny to me. As an Avs fan there were plenty of teams I thought that about that actually struggled to score. Like when Smyth was brought in. Selanne and Kariya was another year.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
There's been a Mason smear campaign in Philly for a while. He made some random off-color comment and now people believe he's a cancer.

Dude was the best goalie Philly has had in 15 years and we treat him like he's Robert Esche

Thank you. Mason really is the best goalie the Flyers have had in many, many years. Hexy really blew it by letting him walk and thinking he could be replaced by that sieve Elliott.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Thank you. Mason really is the best goalie the Flyers have had in many, many years. Hexy really blew it by letting him walk and thinking he could be replaced by that sieve Elliott.

I was with you until the bolded It was a really smart move for Hexy to do what he did since Mason wanted too much $ considering his bad season -- turns out, he was right to not offer.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Mason played 13 whole games last year for the Jets with a .906 SV% and is now out of the league at the age of 30. In his previous season as Flyers starter he went .908, but was below .900 till the final two months of the season.

Elliott had a .909 SV% last year.

Reactions: AnimalFear

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Elliot was rock solid for us last year until the moron Hakstol decided to play him 70 million games straight. He burnt out, got injured and couldnt regain form.

Beet farmer Hak did the exact same thing to Mason. Playing multiple back to backs and 3 in 4s. He has 0 idea how to rotate goaltenders.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
weve designated him as non roster because he isnt with the team yet. Hell be meeting us in Vegas, and at that point, well send someone down off the roster (weises was never officially loaned to Lehigh, its likely him).

Yahoo Fantasy news suggests he's nonroster because his work visa is not yet settled. I don't know if there's a whiff of truth to it, but that's what they're presuming.

"Calvin Pickard has been designated as a non-roster player. Pickard, who was claimed off waivers from Toronto on Tuesday, presumably has to get his work visa situation settled. However, this designation means he doesn't count against the 23-man roster limit yet."

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Great pick up for flyers. I think he may be better than Sparks, not his fault he played in the gongshow a couple years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad