Claimed off Waivers: Flyers claim Calvin Pickard

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Fair enough. Only really wondeirng about this year anyway

My suspicion is that other Leaf fans shouldn't count on Pickard becoming available on waivers again this year for us to take back and stash directly to our AHL team.
If they are the only team putting in a claim...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
And given they are both UFA's at the end of the season, it wouldn't be surprising if management just buried one of Elliott or Neuvirth if they feel Pickard is a better long-term option. Would you as a Flyers fan say that is accurate?
Possibly. They really are unlikely to bury one of the vets in the AHL, but a trade is possible (including eating some cash). Elliott's coming off surgery and isn't really 100% yet. And he stinks. Neuvirth is hurt, not sure on timeline but not back soon. As soon as he comes back, he'll get hurt again. Alex Lyon would be next in line, but he's hurt too, another month. Stolarz is coming off missing a whole year with ACL surgery so they don't want to rely on him if Elliott can't go. That's basically why they claimed Pickard, best option of waiver wire goalies. The Leafs will be able to get one of our goalies back, e.g. Stolarz, as soon as Neuvirth is healthy and depending on who they waive. Carter Hart will get the time he needs in the AHL, and Felix Sandstrom is playing well in Sweden. We're happy with the future, just can't rush it... I really can't say I've ever seen Pickard play, so who knows???

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This is a solid pickup if Hextall thinks that Neuvirth injury will be problematic regarding future health.

Neuvirth and Elliot had semi-major surgeries and don’t look that good now, although Elliot apparently had a good game against Boston.

Lyon is also out for a decent amount of time and Stolarz has had a ton of bad Knee problems.

Elliot
Neuvirth
Hart
Stolarz
Lyon

Of our top 5 goaltenders in NHL contracts, the only one healthy is Hart.

Pickard makes for 6 goaltenders in NHL contracts.

My guess is someone is moved in a trade (Neuvirth, Lyon, or Pickard) or they just try to lose Pickard on waivers once everyone is healthy.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Possibility, if he plays well. When you said 'long term' i assumed you meant well beyond the next two years.

That being said, the flyers will still have stolarz next year, and Felix Sandstrom will likely be coming over to the AHL next year as well. I can't see pickard being in town for much longer than 3 years in the best case scenario for him.

Not to damnpen your enthusiasm at all, but I remember a time when many Pittsburgh fans were talking about how Dumoulin wouldn't have a place on Pittsburgh's blueline due to Letang, Maatta, Despres, Morrow, Harrington and Pouliot all being ahead of him, and how he should be traded for a forward. I also remember a time when Quick was seen as a place holder for Bernier.

I'm not saying that's what you're suggesting (you didn't), but I wouldn't be so quick to put any sort of timeline on Pickard's future with Philly until he plays some games and you see how he does. He could very well be your starter for the next 10 years. I wouldn't bet on that, but you get what I'm saying.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not to damnpen your enthusiasm at all, but I remember a time when many Pittsburgh fans were talking about how Dumoulin wouldn't have a place on Pittsburgh's blueline due to Letang, Maatta, Despres, Morrow, Harrington and Pouliot all being ahead of him, and how he should be traded for a forward. I also remember a time when Quick was seen as a place holder for Bernier.

I'm not saying that's what you're suggesting (you didn't), but I wouldn't be so quick to put any sort of timeline on Pickard's future with Philly until he plays some games and you see how he does. He could very well be your starter for the next 10 years. I wouldn't bet on that, but you get what I'm saying.

I mean, sure that's possible. I get what you're going for. But Pickard is 26 now, and i think it would be a safe assumption that he is what he is at this point. Especially when you consider the defense he'd be playing behind. Nobody knows the future, but i think we can all mostly agree that Carter Hart taking the reigns here is a reasonable expectation.

Reactions: Riptide

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
**** Hes gonna end up being the best of the three.
Why? Because he was a highly drafted goalie? The guy couldn't earn starting minutes in the AHL last year, his seventh as a pro. There is no upside as the kids around here are fond of saying, he is what he is and that's AHL backup. He isn't anything special, you are worrying about nothing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wait a minute.

So you're telling me that Toronto waived both of these guys, so they could have Garret Sparks be their backup?

Now maybe I'm the one that's dumb here and I've got this all wrong, but that's a DUMB move if I'm right. Both the guys they waived have proven to be better goalies than Sparks, who was brutal when he played in the NHL a few years back. I understand McElhinney, he's older and has no future, but Pickard should have been the Leafs backup over Sparks.

So what happens if Andersen gets injured? They might be in some trouble. And if he's healthy, he might be playing even more than he did the past two years.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Gotta figure that Pickard and McBackup would have been claimed.
How does the NHL rules which team gets first chance to come claim?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
More likely we just wave Pickard again when Neuvirth comes back temporarily healthy again.
Broken glass is more durable than Neuvirth! If I were the Flyers, I would put Neuvirth on waivers when he's healthy again. The guy is so unreliable. Pickard might not be as good, but at least he won't crumble physically like paper!

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I mean, sure that's possible. I get what you're going for. But Pickard is 26 now, and i think it would be a safe assumption that he is what he is at this point. Especially when you consider the defense he'd be playing behind. Nobody knows the future, but i think we can all mostly agree that Carter Hart taking the reigns here is a reasonable expectation.

I recall people saying the same thing about Bernier. That said, if I was going to place a bet on who will be the starter in 3-5 years in Philly, I'd be betting on Hart before Pickard.

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Only two questions regarding pickard, does he know how to stretch, and is he durable? If the answers are yes, we are better today than we were yesterday - our keepers keep breaking, it's insane really.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I recall people saying the same thing about Bernier. That said, if I was going to place a bet on who will be the starter in 3-5 years in Philly, I'd be betting on Hart before Pickard.
Pretty sure Elliot and Neuvirth are UFA this upcoming year. We can probably make that bet for next year with Hart starting.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Haha. First move I hate by Leafs management in almost 3 years. If Andersen gets hurt and Sparks sucks they are done. Leafs go from good goalie depth to ****.

Sparks was better in the AHL than Pickard. Why would they keep Pickard when Sparks clearly outplayed him last season?

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Im not saying none of the others have a chance. I originally thought Sandstrom was going to be the best of the bunch, and theres a small part of me that still does. But Harts body of work seems to point otherwise.

If out of all we have someone else turns out better than Hart, i'd be 100% ok with being wrong.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Only two questions regarding pickard, does he know how to stretch, and is he durable? If the answers are yes, we are better today than we were yesterday - our keepers keep breaking, it's insane really.
from what I saw of him in the AHL he should be a good backup and I dont remember him ever having an injury problem and I mean its not ideal but he probably could go atleast .600 if he had to be your guys starter for a bit if everyone else gets injured lol

Reactions: Bruckuss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->