Claimed off Waivers: Flyers claim Calvin Pickard

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Yahoo Fantasy news suggests he's nonroster because his work visa is not yet settled. I don't know if there's a whiff of truth to it, but that's what they're presuming.

"Calvin Pickard has been designated as a non-roster player. Pickard, who was claimed off waivers from Toronto on Tuesday, presumably has to get his work visa situation settled. However, this designation means he doesn't count against the 23-man roster limit yet."

Could also be contingent on Pickard passing a physical. Even though he already did so with TO, Philly might want to do their own, just to be sure.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yahoo Fantasy news suggests he's nonroster because his work visa is not yet settled. I don't know if there's a whiff of truth to it, but that's what they're presuming.

"Calvin Pickard has been designated as a non-roster player. Pickard, who was claimed off waivers from Toronto on Tuesday, presumably has to get his work visa situation settled. However, this designation means he doesn't count against the 23-man roster limit yet."

It could be a few different things. The only thing thats certain is that its a temporary designation that he cant be on for very long. Work visa would explain most of it.

Edit: Bill M confirmed it as a visa issue.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Elliot was rock solid for us last year until the moron Hakstol decided to play him 70 million games straight. He burnt out, got injured and couldnt regain form.

Beet farmer Hak did the exact same thing to Mason. Playing multiple back to backs and 3 in 4s. He has 0 idea how to rotate goaltenders.
I've never liked Elliott. For me, he joins 'The Group I Can't Wait To See Leave" with Weise, Macdonald, Lehtera and, of course, Hakstol! I have a feeling that Gudas and JVR will be next to join...

Reactions: mmvvpp

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
They could have made decisions earlier and not waived two guys after other teams had goalie injuries.

Yes, much earlier. They should have known in April what to do.
April would have been a good time to start shopping Andersen and search for a better goalie coach. Playing 66 games is not needed and Andersen isn't good at it either.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yes, much earlier. They should have known in April what to do.
April would have been a good time to start shopping Andersen and search for a better goalie coach. Playing 66 games is not needed and Andersen isn't good at it either.

I’m a Habs fan and I hate the Leaf’s, but this is a ridiculous statement that I wouldn’t double down on.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
There's been a Mason smear campaign in Philly for a while. He made some random off-color comment and now people believe he's a cancer.

Dude was the best goalie Philly has had in 15 years and we treat him like he's Robert Esche

Most talented, maybe. But why do people act as if Martin Biron was no good in Philly, when he was a legit #1 during his two full seasons? And, of course, Ray Emery (RIP) looked like a Vezina candidate behind our excellent defense to start off 2009-10, before his hip started dying.

EDIT: To clarify, Bobrovsky clearly was the most talented goalie the Flyers have had post-lockout, but we didn't know at the time he was a Flyer that he would be.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I’m a Habs fan and I hate the Leaf’s, but this is a ridiculous statement that I wouldn’t double down on.

I don't hate the Leafs. Most of my time I spent on the Leafs board when Reimer and Bernier were there and I enjoyed it very much. It made me hate Babcock, and Shanahan is bad too.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Most talented, maybe. But why do people act as if Martin Biron was no good in Philly, when he was a legit #1 during his two full seasons? And, of course, Ray Emery (RIP) looked like a Vezina candidate behind our excellent defense to start off 2009-10, before his hip started dying.

EDIT: To clarify, Bobrovsky clearly was the most talented goalie the Flyers have had post-lockout, but we didn't know at the time he was a Flyer that he would be.

Not even saying most talented. I'm saying based on his actual performance, Steve Mason was the best goalie we had in years for a number of seasons statistically.

Reactions: dats81 and Jray42

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia

Mason was better than Biron and Emery was a small sample size.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
What could they have done, though? They had 4 guys fighting for two spots.

Weren't we supposed to get some picks from McBackup and/or Pickard, maybe in one of the often mentioned "package deals" that have been proposed here frequently? Are we not disappointed that management didn't leverage these assets into something?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not even saying most talented. I'm saying based on his actual performance, Steve Mason was the best goalie we had in years for a number of seasons statistically.

Im still baffled by the people who dont appreciate Mason's numbers while in Philly. He was statistically the best goalie we'd had in quite some time - likely going back to the Hextall days. Thats before you consider the tirefire of a defence he had playing in front of him for most of it.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Yeah not sure why this gets ignored.

.944 in his 7 game tryout after the trade
.917 in 61 games
.928 in 51 games
.918 in 54 games
.908 in 58 games

It's really clear he had 1 bad year and unfortunately for him, it came in the contract year.
Though that one down year still got him a 4,100,000 contract

Reactions: Tripod

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Flyers setting up a trade where they exchange 4 goalies out to get one good one?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Stolarz placed on waivers... must mean Pickard is ready to go.

Flyers are in Ottawa Oct 10th, after playing SJ at home on the 9th. That's a good opportunity for him to start.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good Mason was better than all of them. We had long stretches of Bad Mason, though. I mention Biron because he was above-average almost the entire time he was a Flyer.

Yup, Biron was a top 10 starter for two years. Then he demanded too much money, the Flyers let him walk, and he was never a starter again.

NHL.com - Stats

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Im still baffled by the people who dont appreciate Mason's numbers while in Philly. He was statistically the best goalie we'd had in quite some time - likely going back to the Hextall days. Thats before you consider the tirefire of a defence he had playing in front of him for most of it.
Roman Cechmanek says hi.

Reactions: mercury

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Mason played 13 whole games last year for the Jets with a .906 SV% and is now out of the league at the age of 30. In his previous season as Flyers starter he went .908, but was below .900 till the final two months of the season.

Elliott had a .909 SV% last year.

Save percentage is a team stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad