Claimed off Waivers: Flyers claim Calvin Pickard

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Knew he wouldn't clear waivers. His performance in the preseason was pretty solid IMO. Deserved a shot somewhere, unfortunately it couldn't be in TO. Best of luck Picks.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So, who are the Marlies' goalies this season, then? :laugh:

Their starter from last year is now the Leafs' backup, and their backup is now in Philly.

Couple rookies tending the twine for the defending champs, I guess. No other option, unless they grab another goalie if Sparks flounders, and send him down.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not surprised considering the Flyers current goaltending situation.

1. Elliott had offseason surgery and is ready to go but looked awful in all but 1 preseason game.
  2. Neuvirth is out another 4-5 weeks.
  3. Lyon is out another 3-4 weeks.
  4. Stolarz is healthy but he missed almost all of last season with knee surgery so he hasn't played competitive hockey in a long time.
  5. Hart was the best goalie in preseason by far but they don't want to rush him to the NHL so he will start in the AHL.
So, presumably they will start the season with

NHL Elliott - Pickard

AHL Hart - Stolarz

IR Neuvirth - Lyon

I don't think Neuvirth and Lyon are that far off. More like 1-2 weeks from returning.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Their starter from last year is now the Leafs' backup, and their backup is now in Philly.

Couple rookies tending the twine for the defending champs, I guess. No other option, unless they grab another goalie if Sparks flounders, and send him down.

Kasimir Kaskisuo and hopefully Joseph Woll.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Pickard was the casualty of a goalie logjam here, but should be a serviceable backup until Neuvirth comes back at least. I hope he lights it up.

Haha. First move I hate by Leafs management in almost 3 years. If Andersen gets hurt and Sparks sucks they are done. Leafs go from good goalie depth to ****.

To be fair, even if we magically kept all four and Andersen went down, we'd still be in big trouble....

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Kasimir Kaskisuo. Did well in the AHL last year. The Marlies loaned him to Chicago.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

No other option, except for all the other options... Like Kaskisuo, or Woll, or grabbing Pickard/Mac/Another Waiver goalie.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
No other option, except for all the other options... Like Kaskisuo, or Woll, or grabbing Pickard/Mac/Another Waiver goalie.

....which is what I said, immediately following the part you bolded. :laugh:

And Kaskisuo/Woll are both rookies, clearly. Kaskisuo's 28-game stint last year is the most either of them can say to have played pro-level hockey.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Congrats, Calgary fans. You're going to like Calvin Pic - Wait! It was Philly that claimed him?

I didn't see that coming. Philly has like 5 goalies all hoping to get NHL time. I get that Lyon and Neuvirth are hurt, but did they need another cook in the kitchen? Are they out that long?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Congrats, Calgary fans. You're going to like Calvin Pic - Wait! It was Philly that claimed him?

I didn't see that coming. Philly has like 5 goalies all hoping to get NHL time. I get that Lyon and Neuvirth are hurt, but did they need another cook in the kitchen? Are they out that long?

Neuvy is Neuvy. Im not sure much needs to be said there. Hell be back in a week, then back out a week later (if hes lucky).

Elliott is our de facto #1

Stolarz is up in the air after his meniscus tear. Didnt look great (but didnt really lookbad either) during pre season. Probably not comfortable with him being the opening day backup.

Lyon is out 4 weeks, and will likely either be waived himself, or come back and have Pickard waived.

Hart has been ear marked to play in the AHL since the beginning. If he had a tremendous camp, he probably still wouldve been sent down.

My guess is that one of Pickard/Stolie/Lyon are waved in a months time.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Neuvy is Neuvy. Im not sure much needs to be said there. Hell be back in a week, then back out a week later (if hes lucky).

Elliott is our de facto #1

Stolarz is up in the air after his meniscus tear. Didnt look great (but didnt really lookbad either) during pre season. Probably not comfortable with him being the opening day backup.

Lyon is out 4 weeks, and will likely either be waived himself, or come back and have Pickard waived.

Hart has been ear marked to play in the AHL since the beginning. If he had a tremendous camp, he probably still wouldve been sent down.

My guess is that one of Pickard/Stolie/Lyon are waved in a months time.

Ya, that all sounds right enough. But it still looks, to me, like Pickard is just doing a job that you have other people for. After Elliott and Neuvirth, your current 1 and 2, you still have 3 guys who want NHL time in Stalock, Hart, and Lyon. Why bring in a 6th dude just because some are hurt for a few weeks?

Couldn't Hart have started like one game instead?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well they didn't give Pickard a fair shot at all and McBackup has been as good in the NHL AND was better in pre-season than Sparks. They lost both.

No shot? 1 game in the NHL 0.857 SV percentage... given the starting job with the Marlies, and promptly lost it to Sparks, who ended up being flat out better. He played 34 regular season games for the franchise, and was judged inferior by the management/coaching.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ya, that all sounds right enough. But it still looks, to me, like Pickard is just doing a job that you have other people for. After Elliott and Neuvirth, your current 1 and 2, you still have 3 guys who want NHL time in Stalock, Hart, and Lyon. Why bring in a 6th dude just because some are hurt for a few weeks?

Couldn't Hart have started like one game instead?

Hextall is pretty adamant about Hart staying in the AHL this season. He wants him to get a high amount of quality starts.

Lyon and Stolarz (Not Stalock :p) may want NHL time, but neither terribly deserve it. Stolarz needs to prove his knee is healed first, and the team cant really take a chance on that with him as an NHL option out of the gate.

My guess is that Lyon is moved/waived once he returns, which would be pretty crappy, but he isnt a very great goalie either.

Pickard has NHL experience, so he's the more appealing option for a team that wants to start off on the right foot to making the playoffs again.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Hextall is pretty adamant about Hart staying in the AHL this season. He wants him to get a high amount of quality starts.

Lyon and Stolarz (Not Stalock :p) may want NHL time, but neither terribly deserve it. Stolarz needs to prove his knee is healed first, and the team cant really take a chance on that with him as an NHL option out of the gate.

My guess is that Lyon is moved/waived once he returns, which would be pretty crappy, but he isnt a very great goalie either.

Pickard has NHL experience, so he's the more appealing option for a team that wants to start off on the right foot to making the playoffs again.

Well that's good enough for me. You know your team better than I do, and I would hope Hextall does, too.

(forehead slap about Stolarz/Stalock)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well that's good enough for me. You know your team better than I do, and I would hope Hextall does, too.

(forehead slap about Stolarz/Stalock)

Lol, all good. The team isnt realistically good enough to contend, so bringing Hart up has a lot more cons than pros at this point. Let him play a full 80 game season (as opposed to 40 or whatever it is in WHL), and adjust to the rigors of that season, the travel, etc. Id rather take my chances with Journeymen this year and not shatter Hart's confidence behind a team that has a suspect defense, and i think Hextall feels the same. He also has a tendency to marinate prospects quite a bit so while we're all hoping for Hart in 19-20.. it wouldnt surprise me to see him start in the AHL that year either, and come up after the season starts.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Solid move. Cheap 26 year old goalie.

Never know. We squeezed some pretty awesome years out of Mason in a similar situation, so let's see if we do it again with Pickard.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm not surprised considering the Flyers current goaltending situation.

1. Elliott had offseason surgery and is ready to go but looked awful in all but 1 preseason game.
  2. Neuvirth is out another 4-5 weeks.
  3. Lyon is out another 3-4 weeks.
  4. Stolarz is healthy but he missed almost all of last season with knee surgery so he hasn't played competitive hockey in a long time.
  5. Hart was the best goalie in preseason by far but they don't want to rush him to the NHL so he will start in the AHL.
So, presumably they will start the season with

NHL Elliott - Pickard

AHL Hart - Stolarz

IR Neuvirth - Lyon

Nice post.

In your opinion if Pickard preforms well, could he steal a job from Elliott or Neuvirth?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Neuvirth back to caps? do they need a backup?
Copley has played light's out in the pre-season, so the Caps are currently set at back-up. Obviously that's the pre-season and can end up being a very different situation by mid-November. But currently the Caps aren't shopping for another goalie.

Reactions: backburner

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
They better outscore their opponents because they lost one of their backup goalies and their backup AHL goalie?

I don't see the correlation.

Seriously. If the Leafs find themselves in dire need of a goalie, they can trade for these guys for conditional 7ths. Relax, people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->