Claimed off Waivers: Flyers claim Calvin Pickard

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
Not happy with the decision by Toronto and this was inevitable. Good luck Pickard.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not surprised considering the Flyers current goaltending situation.

1. Elliott had offseason surgery and is ready to go but looked awful in all but 1 preseason game.
  2. Neuvirth is out another 4-5 weeks.
  3. Lyon is out another 3-4 weeks.
  4. Stolarz is healthy but he missed almost all of last season with knee surgery so he hasn't played competitive hockey in a long time.
  5. Hart was the best goalie in preseason by far but they don't want to rush him to the NHL so he will start in the AHL.
So, presumably they will start the season with

NHL Elliott - Pickard

AHL Hart - Stolarz

IR Neuvirth - Lyon

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Haha. First move I hate by Leafs management in almost 3 years. If Andersen gets hurt and Sparks sucks they are done. Leafs go from good goalie depth to ****.
What could they have done, though? They had 4 guys fighting for two spots.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
**** Hes gonna end up being the best of the three.
Doubt it, he couldn't beat out Sparks for Marlies starting job and Sparks is 2 years younger.

Haha. First move I hate by Leafs management in almost 3 years. If Andersen gets hurt and Sparks sucks they are done. Leafs go from good goalie depth to ****.
They were going to lose 2 guys regardless. I think they made the right choice given the facts they had in front of them.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Well they didn't give Pickard a fair shot at all and McBackup has been as good in the NHL AND was better in pre-season than Sparks. They lost both.
Well, they would have lost either;

Mac + Pickard
Mac + Sparks
Pickard + Sparks

Either way, they were losing two goalies.

At the end of the day, we got them both for nothing when we were a bad team and now that we're a good team, there is no room. They were both good for the Leafs but it's the circle of like and I'm happy for them both to get shots at other clubs.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he gets a decent run as your starter. He's pretty good.

Hes pretty inconsistent. He'll see starts, no doubt, but hes as about as Jeckyll ad Hyde as the rest of our squad. That being said - i was in favor of adding him before as a low risk high reward kind of thing - similar to Mrazek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->