Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Schlemko & Froese from Montreal in exchange for Weise & Folin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You are acting like Ghost was not recovering from injury in year 2. He was. And STILL posted 39 points.

And yes he is having a bad year. It happens. But we also have no Dman PROVE they can do what Ghost does, when Ghost has his good years.

We should not be trading quality, for quantity. We have so much depth it won't all play anyways. Keep the quality. I just think you are WAY over reacting to Ghost's year and you have all year.

Again, agree to disagree on trading him.
I’m not advocating trading quality for quantity.
I’m advocating being willing to listen to offers for what I think is overrated quality for different types of quality.
And if the offers aren’t good enough, to hold pat.
You seem to think Ghost is untouchable & that making him untouchable is both reasonable & the only reasonable stance. So, yes, we disagree there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I’m not advocating trading quality for quantity.
I’m advocating being willing to listen to offers for what I think is overrated quality for different types of quality.
And if the offers aren’t good enough, to hold pat.
You seem to think Ghost is untouchable & that making him untouchable is both reasonable & the only reasonable stance. So, yes, we disagree there.
I don't think Ghost is untouchable. I just have yet to see anyone propose anything that makes us better next year and takes everything like cap hit, term, needs, etc... into consideration.

I said before, if we signed EK, I 100% would have no issue trading Ghost as we would have a Dman who could replace those elite years that Ghost is capable of. Of course it will cost us 12 million for that.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't think Ghost is untouchable. I just have yet to see anyone propose anything that makes us better next year and takes everything like cap hit, term, needs, etc... into consideration.

I said before, if we signed EK, I 100% would have no issue trading Ghost as we would have a Dman who could replace those elite years that Ghost is capable of. Of course it will cost us 12 million for that.
Ok. I don’t think that’s a terrible opinion; I just think I’m more skeptical of Ghost’s value to this team vs. trade return going forward than you are. There’s no one right opinion at the moment.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ok. I don’t think that’s a terrible opinion; I just think I’m more skeptical of Ghost’s value to this team vs. trade return going forward than you are. There’s no one right opinion at the moment.
I also think us finding a winger in FA will be 100% easier this summer and that essentially fills the entire top 9.

Meanwhile on D, we should be replacing the worst guys 1st. Hopefully Myers and Morin show something in the next 2 months.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I also think us finding a winger in FA will be 100% easier this summer and that essentially fills the entire top 9.

Meanwhile on D, we should be replacing the worst guys 1st. Hopefully Myers and Morin show something in the next 2 months.
I’m still on the C idea over a W, as I like 3 good Cs plus G on wing, & starting Frost at W.

I’m expecting Morin to struggle.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

That's the other part of the "Ghost trade scenario" that doesn't get mentioned as much but equally important.

It's going to be much easier finding a winger in FA and/or with the Simmer trade vs trading Ghost for one and then trying to replace his impact.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

I think many fixate on the whipping boys, & think all will be well if we only replace AMac & Hagg & the coaches! Ok.... with whom & how? Most likely you’re just shuffling similar pieces.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I come from the viewpoint of examing cup teams like Chicago, detroit, jersey, colorado, dallas, anaheim......................
To borrow a conversation from the other day, even the 87 Flyers were loaded - Howe, Mcrimmon, Crossman, Marsh, Samuelsson.

They had loaded defensive corps.
I want the Flyers to have a similar situation. I have been calling for a lights out defensive corp since the days of early 2000's

What if you trade Ghost and then Myers and Morin flop and Sanheim becomes nothing more than an "ok" player.

Its too early to move one of these guys
...... unless you're acquiring some stud on defense through some means.

kostas

Jul 18, 2018
At the very least we can say that Fletcher and Gordon can identify dead weight like Lehterra and Weise. That being said, I'm sure most people feel like I do waiting for that first real trade by Fletcher. So far, the most exciting thing is bringing in Justin Bailey. My feeling on Simmonds is that this guy wants to get paid. It'll be his only shot at a big payday, and he really did himself a disservice on his current deal at like 4mm per season. I would expect to see a thread in a couple of weeks with Simmonds traded.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I come from the viewpoint of examing cup teams like Chicago, detroit, jersey, colorado, dallas, anaheim......................
To borrow a conversation from the other day, even the 87 Flyers were loaded - Howe, Mcrimmon, Crossman, Marsh, Samuelsson.

They had loaded defensive corps.
I want the Flyers to have a similar situation. I have been calling for a lights out defensive corp since the days of early 2000's

What if you trade Ghost and then Myers and Morin flop and Sanheim becomes nothing more than an "ok" player.

Its too early to move one of these guys
...... unless you're acquiring some stud on defense through some means.
That's exactly right.

Even if someone desperately wants to trade Ghost out of irrational hatred, this is literally the worst possible time to suggest such a thing.

Both because 1) it would be selling low on him, and 2) because it's way too early to tell what we have in the rest of the young defensemen, so if they don't pan out and Ghost was traded we'd be completely screwed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think many fixate on the whipping boys, & think all will be well if we only replace AMac & Hagg & the coaches! Ok.... with whom & how? Most likely you’re just shuffling similar pieces.
That's not true. You don't HAVE to replace trash, with trash. That's a myth that you and Dead keep spewing. Replacing trash with GOOD players, does indeed make you better.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
That's not true. You don't HAVE to replace trash, with trash. That's a myth that you and Dead keep spewing. Replacing trash with GOOD players, does indeed make you better.
Of course, but that’s pretty damn hard.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Of course, but that’s pretty damn hard.
Not with the amount of assets at our disposal.

Honestly, AMac should never play for us again. Use this Spring to get Myers his minutes. Let Morin and Hagg split time to ease Morin back in and let them duke it out for #6/7 Dman next year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Good players don't come cheap, either as FAs or in trades.
People think they're gonna replace trash with good players without paying the piper.

Now the Flyers are in the enviable situation where all they really need to add are bottoms six forwards and bottom three defensemen.
And they can be obtained at relatively low cost (2nd/3rd rd picks and 2nd tier prospects).
But they're also a good candidate for a "lateral" trade or two where they trade a top talent for a different top talent that's a better fit.

Right now this is not a good team, replace Hart with say Elliott or any other average goaltender and this is a 90 point team.
But it's more a matter of fit than lack of talent, and more talent is coming.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
That's exactly right.

Even if someone desperately wants to trade Ghost out of irrational hatred, this is literally the worst possible time to suggest such a thing.

Both because 1) it would be selling low on him, and 2) because it's way too early to tell what we have in the rest of the young defensemen, so if they don't pan out and Ghost was traded we'd be completely screwed.
There has been a lot of bickering about Ghost, but this is exactly where you should have started your argument. :laugh:

I don't support trading Ghost unless there is a clear #1 PP QB to replace him. He has his deficiencies in the defensive zone, but there is no better transition defenseman on the Flyers, nor is there anyone that reads the game better from the blueline in the offensive zone.

His footspeed is an issue only if he can't get it back or can't adjust to his current speed. He is struggling this year, but it's hard to write him off as expendable right now.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'll just add the point that, with the Flyers being on the verge of adding all of the defensemen about whom we have been dreaming, there is the increased potential that Gostisbehere can, if necessary, be sheltered into a more offensive-centric role. I think he had an off season and can bounce back. If next season's pairings work best at -- for example -- Provorov / Sanheim, Morin / Myers, Gostisbehere / Gudas, then so be it. We don't have to be married to the conventional division of minutes of the 3 pairings. Rotate Gostisbehere's pairing in for heavy OZ starts and let him play PP1 with an actual strong PP strategy. If all of these defensemen hit near their potential, there are going to be talented Dmen on the 3rd pairing no matter how they are mixed and matched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad