Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Schlemko & Froese from Montreal in exchange for Weise & Folin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with your points and rant :thumbu:

But don't poke the proverbial bear. I've seen discipline handed out over less!
f4b9739e8e37d2af7b1a5282d79e804e.png

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Where did I say his value is down? I think his trade value is potentially higher than his future value to the team. Hence, you consider offers.

Well when I read

"He is a core piece. A struggling core piece"

It makes it seem like you think Ghost has been worse this year then compared to the year before, and one can infer that his perceived trade value would reflect that.

Did you think his trade value in the league is as high today as it was this time last year? Do you think his trade value will sink lower then it is today?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Where did I say his value is down? I think his trade value is potentially higher than his future value to the team. Hence, you consider offers.

Actually let's just go with this.

Do you think Ghost is having a bad year this year?

Would having a bad year negatively effect his trade value?

Do you expect this to be a low point in his career or will the next 2 season following this one be at this level of production?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well when I read

"He is a core piece. A struggling core piece"

It makes it seem like you think Ghost has been worse this year then compared to the year before, and one can infer that his perceived trade value would reflect that.

Did you think his trade value in the league is as high today as it was this time last year? Do you think his trade value will sink lower then it is today?
Well most of this board seems to think his value is as high as ever.

My belief is that his trade value hasn’t dropped much — but it sure could with another year like this. I wouldn’t turn down a good offer if I could get it now.

You seem unwilling to acknowledge that my willingness to trade Ghost is dependent on return. So if his value has depreciated so much you can’t get much for him, then forget it. I’m not advocating Ghost must go at all costs. It’s odd how many can’t wrap their heads around that.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Before we trade Ghost, I would try hiring Kimmo, now. Coach or consultant. Or someone else with an aptitude for teaching NHL level defenceman play, tilting towards "you're responsible for defence, but you can be good at offense too". Flyers are blessed with this type of dee, and expecting more on the way as early as Monday night...so let's coach it up and system it in!

No offense to Kjell. Kimmo lives in/around Philly doesn't he?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
By Magua’s logic it would be laughably stupid to label Sandis Ozolinsh a niche defenseman.

It's a label meant to minimize him and allow your brain to more easily wrap around the concept of his replaceability and tradability. (I wondered where I've heard that Ozolinsh label before. That's a JXC-ism. He's used it countless times. Ozolinsh was also a top offensive d-man and Cup winner. And Ghost can be and has showed better.)

Elite puck skills, shooting, deception, entry/exit ability, PP QBing, an even larger sample size of him playing with Provorov on one of the best pairs in the league......that's not niche in my book. That's called positive on-ice value. The only thing that matters. Even if he's a "niche" player, it's a "niche" we can't replace at a cost we can't match. No one calls an elite defensive defenseman a niche player, or even an elite offensive winger. It's purposefully negative in connotation and yet another tacit admission you want him gone desperately for reasons no more complex than bias, boredom, and short-sightedness. You'll deny it; we won't buy it. Round and round we go.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Well most of this board seems to think his value is as high as ever.

My belief is that his trade value hasn’t dropped much — but it sure could with another year like this. I wouldn’t turn down a good offer if I could get it now.

You seem unwilling to acknowledge that my willingness to trade Ghost is dependent on return. So if his value has depreciated so much you can’t get much for him, then forget it. I’m not advocating Ghost must go at all costs. It’s odd how many can’t wrap their heads around that.

I understand what your saying. I understand that if you have reason to believe that his current play is the new norm you should move him now as his value will only continue to drop.

I get that you don't want to move him for the sake of moving him, it would need to be for a sufficient return to make it worth it.

I get that you think of all the defenceman on the team you think he has the highest ratio of value in a trade to future value to the team.

But again I have to ask.

Do you believe this is the new norm for Ghost and we can expect similar seasons over the next two years.

Reactions: Adtar02

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
It's a label meant to minimize him and allow your brain to more easily wrap around the concept of his replaceability and tradability. (I wondered where I've heard that Ozolinsh label before. That's a JXC-ism. He's used it countless times. Ozolinsh was also a top offensive d-man and Cup winner. And Ghost can be and has showed better.)

Elite puck skills, shooting, deception, entry/exit ability, PP QBing, an even larger sample size of him playing with Provorov on one of the best pairs in the league......that's not niche in my book. That's called positive on-ice value. The only thing that matters. Even if he's a "niche" player, it's a "niche" we can't replace at a cost we can't match. No one calls an elite defensive defenseman a niche player, or even an elite offensive winger. It's purposefully negative in connotation and yet another tacit admission you want him gone desperately for reasons no more complex than bias, boredom, and short-sightedness. You'll deny it; we won't buy it. Round and round we go.
Great. So tl;dr you went from rolling your eyes at the notion of calling Ghost “niche” to admitting he might be niche in the span of minutes.

I can respect the argument they need Ghost’s niche, even if I think that niche is worth exploring trading. But when you want to mock the notion that Ghost is a niche player by citing his points, come on now.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I understand what your saying. I understand that if you have reason to believe that his current play is the new norm you should move him now as his value will only continue to drop.

I get that you don't want to move him for the sake of moving him, it would need to be for a sufficient return to make it worth it.

I get that you think of all the defenceman on the team you think he has the highest ratio of value in a trade to future value to the team.

But again I have to ask.

Do you believe this is the new norm for Ghost and we can expect similar seasons over the next two years.
I don’t know. If I were sure he’d revert to last season, it’d be harder to trade him. But I don’t know. So I’d like to see the offers. I tend to think the Flyers can get a point man that won’t make their PP much worse than it’s been with Ghost.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

:clap:

10/10

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I don’t know. If I were sure he’d revert to last season, it’d be harder to trade him. But I don’t know. So I’d like to see the offers. I tend to think the Flyers can get a point man that won’t make their PP much worse than it’s been with Ghost.

If I laid an over under of 45 points for Ghost next year which would you take?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad