Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Schlemko & Froese from Montreal in exchange for Weise & Folin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Again, I understand that. Just curious about a yes or no the the 45+ question.
I think it’s more likely than not he hits more than 45. Doesn’t stop me from considering trades. I mean, Jake Gardiner will be in the free market.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I think it’s more likely than not he hits more than 45. Doesn’t stop me from considering trades. I mean, Jake Gardiner will be in the free market.

My thing is I don't think we get a good enough return to justify trading a 45+ point defenceman on a 4.5 mill contract.

Like you said if we get blown away by an offer go for it. But anything less then that we should just be happy to have such a talented and impactful player on such a cap efficient contract.

For instance I would rather have Ghost then Gardiner if I had to pick them straight up and I expect Gardiner's contract to be quiet a bit higher then Ghosts'.

But to each there own.

Reactions: Adtar02

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
At 2 mill more than Ghost makes.

Trading Ghost to sign Gardiner would be idiotic
Why does everyone have such an impossible time recognizing that those who’d trade Ghost wouldn’t release him, but want to leverage his return?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's a label meant to minimize him and allow your brain to more easily wrap around the concept of his replaceability and tradability. (I wondered where I've heard that Ozolinsh label before. That's a JXC-ism. He's used it countless times. Ozolinsh was also a top offensive d-man and Cup winner. And Ghost can be and has showed better.)

The Ozolinsh example as a reason to trade Ghost is bizarre. Dealing a high scoring winger for an offensively talented defenseman was one of two key moves (in addition to dealing for Roy) that put the Avs over the top and helped push them to win a cup. Some on here would like to make the opposite move???

Reactions: Curufinwe

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why does everyone have such an impossible time recognizing that those who’d trade Ghost wouldn’t release him, but want to leverage his return?
Because we are smart enough to see that REPLACING Ghost on D and all his upside, is not going to be cheap to do.

So you think we should trade Ghost for Nylander and his 6.9 cap, then sign Gardiner(who will be around 6.5 million), to replace Ghost?

Reactions: Adtar02

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Great. So tl;dr you went from rolling your eyes at the notion of calling Ghost “niche” to admitting he might be niche in the span of minutes.

I can respect the argument they need Ghost’s niche, even if I think that niche is worth exploring trading. But when you want to mock the notion that Ghost is a niche player by citing his points, come on now.
Actually he dismissed the notion notion as a negative. But applied your logic for sake of trying to be reasonable. Something that seems to fly over you head on here repeatedly

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Someone look at our forward group and tell me where we’re in desperate need of a winger, at the expense of an elite defensemen and seriously hurting our D group.

I’ll wait right here.

Reactions: Curufinwe

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Someone look at our forward group and tell me where we’re in desperate need of a winger, at the expense of an elite defensemen and seriously hurting our D group.

I’ll wait right here.
When we expose Voracek for the expansion draft.

Reactions: Larry44

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
A top 6 forward is our biggest need in the offseason. In fact, it may be our only need if Myers plays well this season and you are OK with Stolarz as the backup goalie.

That said, opening up a massive hole at D/PP1 by trading Ghost to fill this need isn't very smart. If we fail to acquire a big-name free agent then we've basically failed.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When we expose Voracek for the expansion draft.
Or maybe he can be used to fix the defense...

Ghost for a PPG winger
Voracek for a top offensive defensemen... you know, someone who can move the puck, man the PP, maybe someone who can play on the right side.

Works for me.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
This is my 1st time clicking on this thread. I haven't read a word, but can't even imagine why this is so many pages.

I mean, we traded for Byron Froese and David Schlemko. Sweet.

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
We have a lot of bodies on the roster atm, what are we going to do with these two?

Dr Pecker

Dec 18, 2018
A top 6 forward is our biggest need in the offseason. In fact, it may be our only need if Myers plays well this season and you are OK with Stolarz as the backup goalie.

That said, opening up a massive hole at D/PP1 by trading Ghost to fill this need isn't very smart. If we fail to acquire a big-name free agent then we've basically failed.

Do you really need a top 6 forward though?

G Couts Tk
Lindbolm Patrick V
Jvr _____ Frost

If you can add a 3c or keep g at c for one more year cause Jvr seems pretty inspired playing with his buddy then you need a 3lw and shore up the 4th line

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Do you really need a top 6 forward though?

G Couts Tk
Lindbolm Patrick V
Jvr _____ Frost

If you can add a 3c or keep g at c for one more year cause Jvr seems pretty inspired playing with his buddy then you need a 3lw and shore up the 4th line

Yes we need a top 6 forward.

Patrick won't break 35 points this year. If you have him at 2C that's as bad a resume as any No. 2 C in this conference, at least on any team that expects to be competitive. You're talking about matching him with Steven Stamkos or Evgeni Malkin or John Tavares. Ergo, Giroux is still the 1C.

We need a No. 1 or No. 2 LW pretty badly. JVR is not ideal in that spot.

Dr Pecker

Dec 18, 2018

Patrick won't break 35 points this year. If you have him at 2C that's as bad a resume as any No. 2 C in this conference, at least on any team that expects to be competitive. You're talking about matching him with Steven Stamkos or Evgeni Malkin or John Tavares. Ergo, Giroux is still the 1C.

I like the current setup, replace simmonds with frost and find a middle six winger with size to play with him and Patrick. That would be a fun 3rd line

Reactions: Fragmuffin

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

Patrick will be better next year. Get the poor guy proper wing men. Unless G is staying at C, he will be the 2C. I think he's proven himself lately. He's been a beast.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Patrick will be better next year. Get the poor guy proper wing men. Unless G is staying at C, he will be the 2C. I think he's proven himself lately. He's been a beast.

ya maybe, because it'd be hard for him to be worse. But we thought this last year, he was a beast late in the season last year, too, leading people to make all sorts of outlandish predictions for him.

Regardless, Patrick being "better" does not put him in the same league as Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos. A 50-point season would be a hell of a year for Patrick, and that's still not in the same league as those guys. Our matchups are just better with Giroux-Couturier at 1-2.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really hope they give him more help at some point this year... and the sooner the better. Now that his play has taken a step forward, he deserves linemates that can keep up. If that means G has to go back to wing, fine.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
ya maybe, because it'd be hard for him to be worse. But we thought this last year, he was a beast late in the season last year, too, leading people to make all sorts of outlandish predictions for him.

Regardless, Patrick being "better" does not put him in the same league as Malkin, Tavares, Stamkos. A 50-point season would be a hell of a year for Patrick, and that's still not in the same league as those guys. Our matchups are just better with Giroux-Couturier at 1-2.

G can always switch to C when playing those teams. Frost should play C at some point too, if not right away. I think we're ok at C going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad