Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire (G) Brian Boucher and (D) Mark Alt for (C) Luke Pither

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Leighton has played 56 games with the Phantoms last year which should be enough of a prove that his back is fine.
Boosh as a cheap insurance doesn't hurt though unless he takes aways playing time from Heeter in the AHL.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree. I'm just trying to figure out the logic--unless the deal was really Pither for Alt, with Boucher as the throw-in.

It seems you could argue that Boucher / Leighton offers a back-up tandem. Both have had significant injury concerns in the past. Each is insurance against the other, though, as mentioned above, I suspect Leighton gets the actual role, and steps in if Bryz gets hurt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leighton won't play more than 6 or 7 games anyways.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Luke Pither is a nobody

we basically got Boucher for nothing

I'm ok with this since it means Leighton won't be on the Flyers...

This doesn't mean that.

Could be one of those guys who benefit from a change of scenery. The fact that he can skate and that he is a good defensive presence is a solid foundation to build from. It's clear from his previous seasons though that he does have good puck moving skills. I'm willing to write this season off as a bad season. Happens to everyone at one point or another. If indeed Alt is a part of the trade, I like it. A young defenseman with good upside. These are the kind of guys that Terry Murray and Kevin McCarthy work very well with. Could be a real gem if given the time.

What? He has yet to step on the ice for the Carolina organization. He'll still be at the University of Minnesota after this trade.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec

You can say whatever you want about his talent, the guy has always been dedicated to this team.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Well according to twitter, Boucher is the 3rd goalie and will most likely be assigned to the AHL.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
This doesn't mean that.

What? He has yet to step on the ice for the Carolina organization. He'll still be at the University of Minnesota after this trade.

By change of scenery, I meant maybe he needs to get out of the college game and start on his pro career. Some players just need to get out of the environment they're in and begin a new challenge in a different environment. Maybe Alt is at a point where he isn't going to progress any further and that his development needs to go in another direction that he won't get in Minnesota.

spudnick

May 6, 2005
Is there honestly a worst goaltending tandem/ trio in the league? We have probably the worst starting goaltender and 2 retread back ups. Won't this organization ever learn?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What I can tell you guys about Alt:

Great athlete, possibly the most athletic player at Minnesota the last few years. Big physically as a defender and he loves to hit. Last season he seemed to really be turning the corner as a defender and was a rock for the Gophers. However this season has been a real struggle for him for some reason, to the point where he's been benched for the first time since early in his freshman season. It's always been expected that he's at least all 4 years in NCAA and possibly even a couple in the AHL after that away from sniffing NHL ice. Very raw still (which is somewhat disturbing since it's his 3rd year at the U) but he'll be the best asset in this deal by a good bit if he puts it together.

SgtJoseph*

You can say whatever you want about his talent, the guy has always been dedicated to this team.

Absolutely ! Folks forget so quickly ! Never been a big Leighton hater either. He put together a nice playoff run and gave it his best.......Gotta respect that. I have seen Hextall (who i liked) give up horrendous goals from terrible angles, way out front etc during his tenure here etc........Still like and repect the guy.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Rather good sized defenseman. 6'3, 205 pounds. Played in a decent hockey program and seems to be a good stay at home defender with some offensive upside. Still rather young at 21, but will probably need some time in the AHL to refine his game. Could be a good one.

Very raw player. Just a year or so ago he was Carolina's 2nd rated D prospect. Luke was going nowhere here so to me this was worth a shot. Plus I always liked Brian.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
So this trade is more about Alt. I don't know much about him but reading his scouting reports has me intrigued.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Canes just signed Dan Ellis to a 1 year deal which is why they got rid of Boucher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad