Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire (G) Brian Boucher and (D) Mark Alt for (C) Luke Pither

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Neither one of them is even close to NHL ready. You do not want to see either one in a Flyers sweater this season.
I don't think either of them would play better than Boucher, but what I'm saying is I'm willing to overlook that. I think it'd be better in the long run and not much damage would be done in the short one.

Hovinen is "buried" in the ECHL for a reason. He has a .889 sv% and a 3.14 GAA down there and by all accounts has not looked good but you would rather have him over boosh in an emergency situation. While Heeter has performed better in the AHL (.911 sv% and a 2.81 GAA) he's still in only his 1st yr of pro hockey. with his numbers, only a yr removed from college he'd be a disaster in the NHL.

both of these guys' max potential is an NHL back-up imo so it's not like having Boosh here for this shortened season is damaging their future.
I agree on the max potential, even though at least with Hovinen I had hopes his maximum would be a middling starter. But yeah, I realize he isn't putting up good numbers and sobrien, who's watched the games, said he didn't look that good. At least not at the beginning, but he seems to have gotten his groove in these last games. But his play in the ECHL doesn't necessarily translate to what he'd show in the AHL/NHL. I mean, he was pretty much demoted from a level arguably on par with the AHL or even better (EHT) to a level well below it. Surely that also plays a role in how he's performing. I mean, fine, I'll admit that I'm biased and want him to succeed more than our other goalies, but I just don't think you send a goalie coming over from Finland after posting elite numbers there to the ECHL.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't think either of them would play better than Boucher, but what I'm saying is I'm willing to overlook that. I think it'd be better in the long run and not much damage would be done in the short one.

I agree on the max potential, even though at least with Hovinen I had hopes his maximum would be a middling starter. But yeah, I realize he isn't putting up good numbers and sobrien, who's watched the games, said he didn't look that good. At least not at the beginning, but he seems to have gotten his groove in these last games. But his play in the ECHL doesn't necessarily translate to what he'd show in the AHL/NHL. I mean, he was pretty much demoted from a level arguably on par with the AHL or even better (EHT) to a level well below it. Surely that also plays a role in how he's performing. I mean, fine, I'll admit that I'm biased and want him to succeed more than our other goalies, but I just don't think you send a goalie coming over from Finland after posting elite numbers there to the ECHL.

Hovinen has been terrible this year. He was badly outplayed in training camp by Heeter and he's getting his backside handed to him in the ECHL. People need to remember that Hovinen only had two good seasons in the Finnish Elite League. Previous to that, he was terrible everywhere else he played.

To read some of the stories about Hovinen's play in the ECHL is what makes the signing even worse. When your coach calls you out because you've failed to compete in a couple of games, that should speak in volumes.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
More like lets trade away young talent (Bob) for ancient dinosaurs (Boosh).

Basically another kick the can move by management.

This sure as hell doesn't solve our potential goalie problem.

Starter-inconsistent mental astronaut
Back up #1- MFL enough said
Back up #2- Use to be a solid back up guy that thrived being put into a game from behind. Now that is even up for debate. Never will be a starter. Nice guy and loyal teammate but overall mediocre goalie.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
He didn't trade Bob for Boucher. He traded Bob for 3 picks. The only asset we traded to get Boucher was Pither. This trade is a win, even though it is possible that neither of Boucher and Alt will play for the Flyers ever.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i woke up today from taunts via my Canesbuddy..

thought surely this news is april fools already.

i cant even put into words how /facepalm this news is.

but now its looking like boosh is gunna hangout in the AHL so im past freaking out mode

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
More like lets trade away young talent (Bob) for ancient dinosaurs (Boosh).

Basically another kick the can move by management.

This sure as hell doesn't solve our potential goalie problem.

Starter-inconsistent mental astronaut
Back up #1- MFL enough said
Back up #2- Use to be a solid back up guy that thrived being put into a game from behind. Now that is even up for debate. Never will be a starter. Nice guy and loyal teammate but overall mediocre goalie.

Huh?

They traded Bob, and used a pick to draft a promising goalie prospect.

They traded a (maybe) career AHL player for Boucher, as an insurance policy on Leighton.

They now have to veteran backup options. I don't see the harm.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
What is it about Boosh that keeps him coming back? Good lord.

How many times have we had him 4? 5? I'm alright with the move because it really is of no consequence. Hopefully now we trade Boucher at the trade deadline and then sign him again in the offseason to try to break the record for most time acquiring a player. We gotta be getting close.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
i woke up today from taunts via my Canesbuddy..

thought surely this news is april fools already.

i cant even put into words how /facepalm this news is.

but now its looking like boosh is gunna hangout in the AHL so im past freaking out mode

no need to freak out. at all.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
We make a prospect/AHL for prospect/AHL trade every year. No need to be alarmed.

The fact that Boosh is back within the organization is just a bonus. I'll take him any day of the week. He's a team guy, a locker room guy, and gives everything his all. There's a reason he's well liked in Philadelphia despite never having the all-around consistent success.

Nobody in Philadelphia asks that you turn water into wine, but if you try your hardest here you will be respected. Nobody embodies that more than Boucher.

Welcome back to someone I've basically grown up watching despite his bizarre career journey.

Not one person should have anything bad to say about the guy. Not the most talented, but again, it's not always about talent.

Like when we traded Ratchuk for Legein...throwing pieces at the board because we have pieces to throw. There's no reason for Pither to be here, and Alt adds at the very least organizational depth.

Where Alt is concerned? Meh. He's not all that great and is certainly not on any upswing. Pither wasn't doing anything either.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
I love boosh. Watching him play in the last game of the season and beating the rags in a shoot out to go on a long playoff run was a great memory for me. I can't see this as a bad move

IceHot

Jan 14, 2003
Redneck Riviera
Visit site
Smart Moves by management....

We are obviously collecting insurance for our Def and Goalies because this shortened season with quick prep -quick start might cause more
injuries then anticipated, throughout the league.
Management is insuring us to fill in these gaps if necessary or trade away the excess depth to teams who will be in dire need, for assets we need as we see fit.=Smart Move-win win situation for us.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

Hovinen has been terrible this year. He was badly outplayed in training camp by Heeter and he's getting his backside handed to him in the ECHL. People need to remember that Hovinen only had two good seasons in the Finnish Elite League. Previous to that, he was terrible everywhere else he played.

To read some of the stories about Hovinen's play in the ECHL is what makes the signing even worse. When your coach calls you out because you've failed to compete in a couple of games, that should speak in volumes.

He's played significantly better since getting called out by coach. At this point wins and losses should be thrown out the window for Trenton games, because the team's been dismantled. At this point, he's been outplaying Wedgewood.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Someof you people are nuts. A no name prospect at a position we have tremendous depth for for two bodies at two positions we have no depth at. One adds a prospect to d another adds experience at goal. I mean we didn't steal Duncan Siemens and Jonathan Quick for pither, but this isn't like we traded Giroux for randy jones and MFL. 0 risk high reward. I think some of you love to ***** for the sake of *****ing.

Yukon Cornelius*

We are obviously collecting insurance for our Def and Goalies because this shortened season with quick prep -quick start might cause more
injuries then anticipated, throughout the league.
Management is insuring us to fill in these gaps if necessary or trade away the excess depth to teams who will be in dire need, for assets we need as we see fit.=Smart Move-win win situation for us.

This is bang on in my opinion. There is no time for a nagging hamstring or a mild sprain. There are no throw away games this year. Really impressed with Homer's insight and quick action. There is very little to zero risk at all to these additional pickups.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I can't possibly see any downside to this deal. You all should be praising the Flyers for this.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Wait, people are actually finding ways to get angry about this move?:shakehead

It's laughable. We traded a non prospect ECHLer who didn't even get drafted for a perfectly fine number 3 goalie and a prospect and people actually think we should have done better. You have to almost assume its just trolling. Surely no one expects to improve the Flyers with Pither as the bait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->