Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire (G) Brian Boucher and (D) Mark Alt for (C) Luke Pither

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
VOORHEES, N.J. -- Goaltender Brian Boucher is once again a Flyer.

The deal to acquire Boucher, first reported by TSN's Bob McKenzie, sent minor leaguer Luke Pither to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for Boucher and prospect Mark Alt.

Boucher had been practicing at Skate Zone during the lockout, but wasn't on the Flyers' official training camp roster and wasn't on the ice to start Day 1 of training camp Sunday morning.

The acquisition is likely an insurance move. The Flyers signed goalie Michael Leighton to a one-year deal last offseason to back up starter Ilya Bryzgalov, and so Boucher will most likely head straight to Glens Falls. Though the Phantoms' starter, Scott Munroe, has played well, he is on a minor-league deal and cannot be recalled by the Flyers in case of injury.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...ucher-from-Hurric?blockID=822987&feedID=10994

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired center Luke Pither (PIH-tuhr) from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for goaltender Brian Boucher and defenseman Mark Alt. Pither will be assigned to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL).

It's official, Link: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650126

Birthday:1991-10-18
Position: D
Shoots: Right
Height: 6-3
Weight: 199 lbs.
Acquired: 2nd round (53rd overall), 2010

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mark_alt/

Alt was a two-sport star in high school, as he led Cretin-Derham to a state title as a quarterback in football. The son of former Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman Jon Alt, he was entertaining offers to play football in college until late in the spring, when he committed to playing hockey at the University of Minnesota. Like his father, Alt is a tall man but despite his height is a fluid skater who has good speed and agility. Having not yet played at a higher level of hockey, he is still raw in terms of tactical play and positioning but is a strong two-way player according to scouts who've seen him play.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/alt_mark00.html

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Per @TSNBobMcKenzie PHI acquired Mark Alt from CAR. Alt is a very toolsy defenseman. Big man, physical, can skate, but very raw, no offense.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=127773

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Boucher > Leighton, right?

At least when healthy. Though I thought he had some injury issues?

Does seem an odd move...

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Ugh......the Flyers have been down this road before. Boucher offers nothing.

what i can't understand is why the flyers would get him back without making another move first. someone is obviously getting moved. there is no way the flyer get boosh back just to put him in the minors. don't see bryz moving either so maybe there is an injury issue we don't know about.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
what i can't understand is why the flyers would get him back without making another move first. someone is obviously getting moved. there is no way the flyer get boosh back just to put him in the minors. don't see bryz moving either so maybe there is an injury issue we don't know about.

Leighton has a messed up back again. Lol

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Boucher>>>Leighton, and I genuinely like the guy. I was kind of sad when we lit him up last year, I'm happy with this deal if it's true.

cardinal0512

Aug 10, 2005
Huge Flyers fan out here in Minnesota. I watch the Gophers, Alt's college team, every night. He's flat-lined if anything over his first few years and he's been worse this year than last year on a very good Gopher team. He has good size, skating is fine, but his puck-skills are lacking. He plays on a big ice sheet here with the Gophers so maybe down the road things will simplify for him on NHL-sized sheets.

Awesome to have Boosh back though!

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Mark Alt also coming according to McKenzie. 2nd round pick in 2010.

Rather good sized defenseman. 6'3, 205 pounds. Played in a decent hockey program and seems to be a good stay at home defender with some offensive upside. Still rather young at 21, but will probably need some time in the AHL to refine his game. Could be a good one.

mm6492

Dec 9, 2007
Pither struggled last year and was not in our future plans IMO. Add a defensive prospect while getting some goalie depth.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I kinda like Alt. he might have flatlined but hopefully it's just a problem this season. I hate Boosh so that I'm not happy about but I'm glad we are on the other side of one of these trades.

If I'm not mistaken though, Boosh can't go to the ahl so the teams going to carry 3 goalies? Seems like a total waste of space

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Canes fans seem confused as to why Alt was included in the trade. I'm thinking the trade was really Pither for Alt, and they wanted to be rid of Boucher.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Huge Flyers fan out here in Minnesota. I watch the Gophers, Alt's college team, every night. He's flat-lined if anything over his first few years and he's been worse this year than last year on a very good Gopher team. He has good size, skating is fine, but his puck-skills are lacking. He plays on a big ice sheet here with the Gophers so maybe down the road things will simplify for him on NHL-sized sheets.

Awesome to have Boosh back though!

Could be one of those guys who benefit from a change of scenery. The fact that he can skate and that he is a good defensive presence is a solid foundation to build from. It's clear from his previous seasons though that he does have good puck moving skills. I'm willing to write this season off as a bad season. Happens to everyone at one point or another. If indeed Alt is a part of the trade, I like it. A young defenseman with good upside. These are the kind of guys that Terry Murray and Kevin McCarthy work very well with. Could be a real gem if given the time.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Canes fans seem confused as to why Alt was included in the trade. I'm thinking the trade was really Pither for Alt, and they wanted to be rid of Boucher.

Yep. I remember some beat writers speculating that Boosh was of no use after sustaining a severe shoulder injury last summer, a shortened season coming up and with what Carolina has on its farm already, and could be waived.

The timing is kinda odd now that Heeter has starting playing well and Munroe doing everything right from the beginning.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Yep. I remember some beat writers speculating that Boosh was of no use after sustaining a severe shoulder injury last summer, a shortened season coming up and with what Carolina has on its farm already, and could be waived.

The timing is kinda odd now that Heeter has starting playing well and Munroe doing everysthing right from the beginning.

Maybe the Flyers are only about 90 percent confident in Leighton's health?

Boucher provides a contingency plan for NHL back-up, since neither of those AHL guys were really in a position to come up in case Leighton got hurt, right?

RJ8812*

Luke Pither is a nobody

we basically got Boucher for nothing

I'm ok with this since it means Leighton won't be on the Flyers...

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Boucher always end up here somehow. Glad to see him back, he's a team guy and a decent backup. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Maybe the Flyers are only about 90 percent confident in Leighton's health?

Boucher provides a contingency plan for NHL back-up, since neither of those AHL guys were really in a position to come up in case Leighton got hurt, right?

Leighton has played 56 games with the Phantoms last year which should be enough of a prove that his back is fine. Boucher is the one that had to recover from surgery this season and not Leighton but somehow nobody seems to care...

Boosh as a cheap insurance doesn't hurt though unless he takes aways playing time from Heeter in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->