Confirmed with Link: Flyers acquire Cam Talbot for Anthony Stolarz

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
All-world turd polishing going on in here by the same people that usually scoff at the notion that experience is more valuable than ability.

Some habits die hard.

Reactions: Stizzle

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It will end up being 8-10 games. Not a big enough sample to make meaningful judgements.
I agree but it’s better than nothing. You won’t be able to tell anything major based on numbers, but just watching him play will show something.

It’s worth about as much as the sample size people are using to overvalue Stolarz too.

Flyguy1ca

Nov 25, 2017
If I can perform an autopsy on this run-on sentence, the last phrase mostly answers the first part. Stolarz's biggest issue was his health. If Fletcher offered him a decent contract to back up Hart, which likely would have gone for 3 years to be eligible for the expansion draft, I strongly believe that he would take that security over putting himself out into the unknown of UFA. Plus,if as has been mentioned that he and Gostisbehere were good friends, that could have been some added incentive to stay with the Flyers.
I guess you have more faith in Stolarz than i do if you're willing to sign him to a 3 year deal to backup Hart. His injuries are a big concern, but his play is below average too. Certainly at the NHL level (3.33GAA .902%), and at best he has been average at the AHL level (2.90GAA .911%).

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Amazing assortment of overreactions here and catastrophic thinking. I'm not a big fan of the trade either, as I thought there should have been a 4th or 5th rounder coming with Talbot for the extra cap hit we take and the fact that Stolarz is as of right now, the better goalie. If anything, it signals like @BernieParent said, relatively poor value extraction by Fletcher which may become more evident at the TD.

But looking into the future though, I seriously doubt Stolarz would have been given a fair shake here anyway and there would be a logjam in goal with Sandstrom still in the wings. Stolarz seemed like a good kid, I'll be rooting for him to succeed. Just feel bad he has to go to that mess in Edmonton. Talbot and Hart clearly have good relationship, and even if Talbot lays a complete egg the rest of the season, theoretically they can cut him lose. Just hope that if they do re-sign him, it's for the going rate of a mediocre backup.

Reactions: BiggE

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Talbot turns 32 next year, he had two solid seasons as a starter, then a meh season followed by a bad season.
He's a less talented, more durable version of Elliott.

Edmonton was desperate to shed his salary, Fletcher screwed the pooch, should have gotten a 3rd or 4th rd pick in this deal for helping them out. Always add value in every trade, over time it adds up.

Stolarz is no big deal, watching him I see a solid NHL backup, but watching Lyon in LHV, I see the exact same thing at a similar age - we were going to lose one of them next year in any case. And we have Sandstrom, Ericsson, Federov and Ustimenko in the pipeline.

It's the inability to exploit a favorable negotiating position that worries me about Fletcher.
Exactly, should have received a pick. That's my only real issue with this deal.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All-world turd polishing going on in here by the same people that usually scoff at the notion that experience is more valuable than ability.

Some habits die hard.
You're taking a whole lot of shots over something worth very little. :laugh:

And avoiding a mini-meltdown isn't exactly the same as turd-polishing. You're just so hyper-focused on the word "veteran" that you're missing the logic behind having someone other than two rookies in net next year, while also missing the context of Talbots numbers and the reason it's possible to think he'd be better once out of that situation.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Demote him and recall Lyon.

Now flash forward to this scenario: Talbot gets a fresh start and posts a .915 + SV% all while STAYING HEALTHY all year and helps Hart thru his down times.

I will say it again, no one knows today how this will end up and how Talbot plays. Only in the future can we know for sure.

Woukd you be shocked if Stolarz got hurt next year? What then? Same result, we recall Lyon.

Sure, I suppose. I get it: both options were 100' tall question marks. All we can do is hold our breaths and hope that Talbot looks more like his first year with the Oilers than the last 2. But was it Charlie O who tweeted that Talbot hasn't looked like a very good goaltender suffering from simply being outgunned, but rather a bad goalie looking worse behind a terrible team?

To switch conversation topics, how many expect that if a contract is offered to Talbot, it would be geared to satisfy the ED requirement to expose him?

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Every time Hart and Talbots "relationship" is mentioned, an angel gets its wings.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Nope.

Youth is a great but at some point there's a limit to how much inexperience you can have without running into issues (ask Edmonton about that)... like having two goalies going into next season with less than 6o NHL games between them.

I think Stolarz trade value was overestimated.
Well, some of this is dependent on Talbot resigning.

We do have the leg up at the moment on signing one of three of this offseasons questionable veteran netminders...

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well, some of this is dependent on Talbot resigning.

We do have the leg up at the moment on signing one of three of this offseasons questionable veteran netminders...
Sure, we'll have to see what happens with signing him to get the full picture here.

On top of that, it's possible we move Elliott for something small as a backup to a playoff team (if he can stay healthy and prove himself a bit before the deadline).

I can't imagine we see anyone other than Hart and Talbot from here on out, with the edge in games going to Talbot probably, for max sample size to look at.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I agree but it’s better than nothing. You won’t be able to tell anything major based on numbers, but just watching him play will show something.

It’s worth about as much as the sample size people are using to overvalue Stolarz too.
I don’t think Stolarz is a big loss, but couldn’t you use the same sample of games to give Stolarz a slightly bigger evaluation window to make sure your evaluation of him is accurate? There is some theoretical upside there.

I’m not against adding a veteran backup, or even Talbot for next year, but what’s the upside here? Right now? He falls in love with the idea of backing up the Golden Child? The guy’s not ancient. I’m sure he probably still wants to explore the idea of starting somewhere next year. Realistically that ain’t happening here. He’s a career backup once he signs that extension here.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Some upside 25 year old traded for no upside 32 year old that will UNDOUBTEDLY cost more to extend. Theres nothing to defend here.

Goodnight weirdos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad