News Article: Fluto: By trading Dougie Hamilton, Update: Signs 6yrs/34.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Hamilton wanted out of Boston. This isn't his fault though.

The Bruin's organization is tailored to older players, not young guys. If you're not a vet with a family you're automatically labeled a 'problem child' it seems here. All of the players trying to impose their parenting skills on the younger guys or something of that nature.

If you want to be able to keep young talent things will have to change. Some more older vets will have to leave. Can't keep Chara until he's 50.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Read a lot, don’t post often, but I’d like to offer my very humble POV on the Hamilton affair.

Knowing that:
- the Bruins offered him $33M/6 yrs ($5.5M/yr)
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 30 juin
Bruins made offers on 4-5-6 year terms. Best offer to Hamilton was 6 years at $5.5 average. Obviously both sides believed change was best.
- that Hamilton camp countered with $45M/6 yrs ($7.5M/yr):
Per Elliotte Friedman: The best information I can give you is it appears the team offered six years and $33M to Hamilton, while the response was about $2M per year higher. (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-bieksa-deserves-better/)
- and that Hamilton ended up signing for $34.5M/6 yrs with Calgary ($5.75M/yr),

we're justified to conclude that Hamilton had no intention of staying here, as said Elliotte Friedmann:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 30 juin
BOS offer to Hamilton was $5.5 AAV. New contract in CAL will be approx $5.75. Safe to say player wanted a fresh start and Flames are it.

Moreover, Sweeney at his presser after the trade said:
“…I think the more important part was I don’t believe that we would have been that Dougie would have been comfortable in Boston going forward, for the long term…†(http://nesn.com/2015/06/live-stream-don-sweeney-discusses-bruins-dougie-hamilton-milan-lucic-trades/, at around the 4:20 mark)

-----------------------------------

The first sticking point is when did Sweeney learned that.
I have no idea, but obvisouly, the sooner the better so he can have more time to find the best trade possible.

The second one is why did Hamilton want out.
Some people on this board I consider well-connected (mainly DHK and Dom) seems to know something.

After reading stuff right and left, my general take is that “Team Hamiltonâ€, for whatever reason, wanted Dougie in “comfortable surroundingsâ€, for whatever that means, and that Boston (or the Bruins) was not that (it reminds me a bit the Lindros affair, but I'm not going there :help:). Further, I think that it was not necessarily a “Boston†thing, that there were very few places that were considered “comfortable surroundings†by Team Hamilton, limiting the list of possible suitors.

I’m pretty sure that some higher-ups on other organizations knew something about that and had some ideas of what were those “comfortable surroundingsâ€. That would partly explain why we heard so much about offer sheet threats leaking through the media leading up to July 1st.

One who very probably knew that Team Hamilton would not sign in Boston was Chia. I would venture to guess that he approached Sweeney to let him know that and that he’d rather make a trade for Dougie than offer sheet him, not unlike Burke did in Kessel’s case.

The problem for Sweeney is that his trading options were limited, even more if he excluded some or all the Eastern Conference teams. I’m pretty sure that Arizona and Carolina for example would have either known of Team Hamilton wants or would have wanted to talk to Hamilton before-hand. Since I guess those were not considered comfortable surroundings, they were not that interested in dealing with that.
Essentially, Sweeney’s hands we tied up to a certain point, and Team Hamilton had a lot more leverage than we might have thought.

Seeing that, Sweeney opted to trade him for picks before this year’s draft instead of declining an upcoming offer sheet, which was the right thing to do since the 2015 draft had been drummed up as a super rich and deep draft.

Obvisously, he could have matched the offer, but then the team is "stuck" with a player not wanting to be here for at least a year and a crop of picks in a weaker draft. I know team chemistry is overrated, but that could have turn pretty ugly.

Funny because I’ve read some posts saying the Bruins played hard ball with the kid, but it seems to me that they rather let him get what he wanted.

That’s why I give Sweeney a pass here, espacially after the other moves he made.

Maybe I should take off my Black and Gold glasses, but hey, I am what I am! :laugh:

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Read a lot, don’t post often, but I’d like to offer my very humble POV on the Hamilton affair.

Knowing that:
- the Bruins offered him $33M/6 yrs ($5.5M/yr)
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 30 juin
Bruins made offers on 4-5-6 year terms. Best offer to Hamilton was 6 years at $5.5 average. Obviously both sides believed change was best.
- that Hamilton camp countered with $45M/6 yrs ($7.5M/yr):
Per Elliotte Friedman: The best information I can give you is it appears the team offered six years and $33M to Hamilton, while the response was about $2M per year higher. (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-bieksa-deserves-better/)
- and that Hamilton ended up signing for $34.5M/6 yrs with Calgary ($5.75M/yr),

we're justified to conclude that Hamilton had no intention of staying here, as said Elliotte Friedmann:
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 30 juin
BOS offer to Hamilton was $5.5 AAV. New contract in CAL will be approx $5.75. Safe to say player wanted a fresh start and Flames are it.

Moreover, Sweeney at his presser after the trade said:
“…I think the more important part was I don’t believe that we would have been that Dougie would have been comfortable in Boston going forward, for the long term…†(http://nesn.com/2015/06/live-stream-don-sweeney-discusses-bruins-dougie-hamilton-milan-lucic-trades/, at around the 4:20 mark)

-----------------------------------

The first sticking point is when did Sweeney learned that.
I have no idea, but obvisouly, the sooner the better so he can have more time to find the best trade possible.

The second one is why did Hamilton want out.
Some people on this board I consider well-connected (mainly DHK and Dom) seems to know something.

After reading stuff right and left, my general take is that “Team Hamiltonâ€, for whatever reason, wanted Dougie in “comfortable surroundingsâ€, for whatever that means, and that Boston (or the Bruins) was not that (it reminds me a bit the Lindros affair, but I'm not going there :help:). Further, I think that it was not necessarily a “Boston†thing, that there were very few places that were considered “comfortable surroundings†by Team Hamilton, limiting the list of possible suitors.

I’m pretty sure that some higher-ups on other organizations knew something about that and had some ideas of what were those “comfortable surroundingsâ€. That would partly explain why we heard so much about offer sheet threats leaking through the media leading up to July 1st.

One who very probably knew that Team Hamilton would not sign in Boston was Chia. I would venture to guess that he approached Sweeney to let him know that and that he’d rather make a trade for Dougie than offer sheet him, not unlike Burke did in Kessel’s case.

The problem for Sweeney is that his trading options were limited, even more if he excluded some or all the Eastern Conference teams. I’m pretty sure that Arizona and Carolina for example would have either known of Team Hamilton wants or would have wanted to talk to Hamilton before-hand. Since I guess those were not considered comfortable surroundings, they were not that interested in dealing with that.
Essentially, Sweeney’s hands we tied up to a certain point, and Team Hamilton had a lot more leverage than we might have thought.

Seeing that, Sweeney opted to trade him for picks before this year’s draft instead of declining an upcoming offer sheet, which was the right thing to do since the 2015 draft had been drummed up as a super rich and deep draft.

Obvisously, he could have matched the offer, but then the team is "stuck" with a player not wanting to be here for at least a year and a crop of picks in a weaker draft. I know team chemistry is overrated, but that could have turn pretty ugly.

Funny because I’ve read some posts saying the Bruins played hard ball with the kid, but it seems to me that they rather let him get what he wanted.

That’s why I give Sweeney a pass here, espacially after the other moves he made.

Maybe I should take off my Black and Gold glasses, but hey, I am what I am! :laugh:

Thanks for putting this all together. Maybe some of the conspirators at 98.5 can read this to get the scoop.
Thanks

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Seems to me like Hamilton thought he knew all there is to know about hockey and hated it when CJ tried to tell him how to play. The tweet from his close friend and stuff from the insiders seem to be pointing that way. Dougie was just to full of himself and didn't like criticism. Spoiled

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Hamilton wanted out of Boston. This isn't his fault though.

The Bruin's organization is tailored to older players, not young guys. If you're not a vet with a family you're automatically labeled a 'problem child' it seems here. All of the players trying to impose their parenting skills on the younger guys or something of that nature.

If you want to be able to keep young talent things will have to change. Some more older vets will have to leave. Can't keep Chara until he's 50.

Bingo. Clod's the problem, not Hamilton (or Seguin).

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
And you know that how? Because Sweeney said so? Nobody has any idea what 'he did not want to be here' even means. It could mean that he wasn't willing to agree to whatever terms the Bruins management were dictating for his future. It could also be a complete fabrication. It could be anything, so why are you giving benefit of the doubt to the Bruins management who have a history of character assassinations after sending their franchise talent packing?

Calgary made a beautiful trade and signed Dougie to a great contract. Very much like Dallas when they got Seguin for free and he was already signed to a great contract (6 years 34 million).

You haven't been paying attention

Though I do have the advantage of getting direct info from people who know what went on behind the scenes,if you are paying close attention you can figure it out.

Btw, not once has Sweeney said a single negative thing about Hamilton aside from the "comfortable" comment which was as PC and non-inflammatory as it gets.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Seems to me like Hamilton thought he knew all there is to know about hockey and hated it when CJ tried to tell him how to play. The tweet from his close friend and stuff from the insiders seem to be pointing that way. Dougie was just to full of himself and didn't like criticism. Spoiled

I must have missed this? Unless you're talking about the image of the txt someone posted

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Bingo. Clod's the problem, not Hamilton (or Seguin).

So a great coach that by all accounts guys like Bergy ADORE, who is a winner, and who does do great things with other young players is the problem because 3 spoiled stars disliked him? 1 of those spoiled stars the Leafs just decided they could not build a team around (surprise, we knew that...).

I'm gonna say this isn't black and white, it's grey. And should you see Pasta develop into a solid 2 way player before age 20, you'll have proof of it.

Maybe Claude just pushed people to be the best they can be at both ends, and when young 1-way players come in who don't want to put in the work, they act out or bail...

And if that's the case, maybe we have to scout a bit better and trade out of those situations before drafting them.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Bingo, this is it right here. And from what I've been hearing, Sweeney has put an emphasis on this

Wally - are you going to development camp? Think I'll drive out for at least one

The same people who've been *****ing that Clode ruins 1-way players and we should draft accordingly are now *****ing about Sweeney drafting physical, fast, 2-way players instead of the BPA.

Never change HF. Never change.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The same people who've been *****ing that Clode ruins 1-way players and we should draft accordingly are now *****ing about Sweeney drafting physical, fast, 2-way players instead of the BPA.

Never change HF. Never change.

There's a bit more to it than that. Frankly I think that at the very least Debrusk was a trade down situation that Sweeney flat out missed it. I don't know that to be certain, but it feels like it. I don't care that he passed on Barzal and co, I care that people wanted to trade up there to get him and didn't do it with us. Senyshyn is different. If the stories are true and the Bruins felt he was absolutely gone in the next few picks, they Sweeney did it right. No complaints, we'll see in 3 years how that goes.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
So a great coach that by all accounts guys like Bergy ADORE, who is a winner, and who does do great things with other young players is the problem because 3 spoiled stars disliked him? 1 of those spoiled stars the Leafs just decided they could not build a team around (surprise, we knew that...).

I'm gonna say this isn't black and white, it's grey. And should you see Pasta develop into a solid 2 way player before age 20, you'll have proof of it.

Maybe Claude just pushed people to be the best they can be at both ends, and when young 1-way players come in who don't want to put in the work, they act out or bail...

And if that's the case, maybe we have to scout a bit better and trade out of those situations before drafting them.

Actually, I'd call it 2 spoiled stars. I don't put Seguin in the same group as Kessel and/or Dougie if we're saying that didn't like to play for Claude. I don't recall hearing that about Seguin.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

and I`d be willing to bet Babcock felt the same about Kessel without coaching him for so much as a minute, knew he wouldn`t be able to work with him

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
without going thru this whole thread, has there been any comment from Dougie or his agent in regards to any of this?

like the timing, the reasoning etc etc etc?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
That's cool, im sure I'll meet the legend someday ;)

Hope your boy at Umass is kicking ass and enjoying life

He loves it out there. Hard to believe he graduates this coming year. Man, FAST 4 years!

Both my twins are going to apply for early admission out there in the next couple of months. (fingers crossed)

I hope to get to training camp in Sept.. We'll see.

:)

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
He loves it out there. Hard to believe he graduates this coming year. Man, FAST 4 years!

Both my twins are going to apply for early admission out there in the next couple of months. (fingers crossed)

I hope to get to training camp in Sept.. We'll see.

:)

It does go fast. I remember feeling like it took half the time Highschool did even though they both lasted 4 years. Glad to hear you're building a little family lineage there, it's a very underrated school imo, mo. something tells me they'll both get in.

Love to go in to camp in September but only if there's one on a weekend

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
without going thru this whole thread, has there been any comment from Dougie or his agent in regards to any of this?

like the timing, the reasoning etc etc etc?

Yes, he did. Hamilton did his best Darth Hoodie impersonation during the interview.

" We're moving on to Calgary "

" Looking forward to moving on to Calgary "

" Moving on to Calgary "

" Calgary "

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Actually, I'd call it 2 spoiled stars. I don't put Seguin in the same group as Kessel and/or Dougie if we're saying that didn't like to play for Claude. I don't recall hearing that about Seguin.

Never did and was doing what any other 21 year old would do with a bunch of money
This one trade to haunt this team for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad