News Article: Fluto: By trading Dougie Hamilton, Update: Signs 6yrs/34.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Never did and was doing what any other 21 year old would do with a bunch of money
This one trade to haunt this team for a long time.

Yup, Seguin would be twice the player he is in Dallas had he stayed and given a role as Center. Kid could backcheck so well. Especially with Bergy helping him along the way. It's tough to say as Krejci is my favorite NHL'er but we really should have kept Seguin over Krejci, it didn't seem so at the time though.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Trying to get confirmation that Dougie Hamilton has entered the CIA trauma based program to erase from his memory he ever played for Boston

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Trying to get confirmation that Dougie Hamilton has entered the CIA trauma based program to erase from his memory he ever played for Boston

I heard he's changing his first name to "Douglas" and and dying his hair black to further separate his current self from his past self.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Its the Front Office fault.

Kid saw 'The Red Mile' on ESPN clips and thought - 'thats for me'.

Bruins should have at least brought him to Revere Beach as part of offers.

We never stood a chance.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Yup, Seguin would be twice the player he is in Dallas had he stayed and given a role as Center. Kid could backcheck so well. Especially with Bergy helping him along the way. It's tough to say as Krejci is my favorite NHL'er but we really should have kept Seguin over Krejci, it didn't seem so at the time though.

Maybe with the Hamilton revelations, people will regain some perspective on Seguin.

He was a kid who *wanted* to be here, who had played hard for us, and was already producing (led the team in goals/pts by his second full season with the club, and among the leaders in his third season). Sure he had some off ice issues, but nothing that couldn't have been dealt with, given how the Hawks have supported/tolerated Kane and his constant public drunkenness and debauchery.

Anyways. Water under the bridge (or the Big Dig), whatever.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Maybe with the Hamilton revelations, people will regain some perspective on Seguin.

He was a kid who *wanted* to be here, who had played hard for us, and was already producing (led the team in goals/pts by his second full season with the club, and among the leaders in his third season). Sure he had some off ice issues, but nothing that couldn't have been dealt with, given how the Hawks have supported/tolerated Kane and his constant public drunkenness and debauchery.

all that glitters is not gold. some things cant be taken back or 'dealt with'.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I like Julien so I am not throwing him under the bus but I will guess his system is what had Hamilton wanting out. I am almost a hundred percent sure that was Kessels issue. Tyler embraced it and made himself a better player. Lets face it Juliens system is not for everyone. I think its a great winning system but it with out a doubt slows individual production point wise.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
And if Dougie thinks it'll be any different under Bob Hartley who will bench you if you don't block shots, take the body or stick to the system he's in for a shock.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

People always bring up Kane as a comp but I don't understand why because there's a big difference...Kane delivered on the ice! The Bruins didn't trade him just because he had off-ice issues...they traded him because had off ice issues AND after 3 full years and two deep playoff runs, as a #2 pick, he still wasn't an impact player for them when it counted. Leaving that out is ignoring a huge piece of the puzzle and revising history.

Oh and let it also be said that the first guy the Bruins "gave up on" was literally just handed away by his next team after he killed several coaches and got the team nowhere. The second guy, Seguin, was benched at the end of this season for more off-ice crap. Let's not make this out like the Bruins are the only teams sick of this crap from players.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I like Julien so I am not throwing him under the bus but I will guess his system is what had Hamilton wanting out. I am almost a hundred percent sure that was Kessels issue. Tyler embraced it and made himself a better player. Lets face it Juliens system is not for everyone. I think its a great winning system but it with out a doubt slows individual production point wise.

Kessel's issue with Claude was that he actually wanted him to exercise and play a little defense.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
People always bring up Kane as a comp but I don't understand why because there's a big difference...Kane delivered on the ice! The Bruins didn't trade him just because he had off-ice issues...they traded him because had off ice issues AND after 3 full years and two deep playoff runs, as a #2 pick, he still wasn't an impact player for them when it counted. Leaving that out is ignoring a huge piece of the puzzle and revising history.

Oh and let it also be said that the first guy the Bruins "gave up on" was literally just handed away by his next team after he killed several coaches and got the team nowhere. The second guy, Seguin, was benched at the end of this season for more off-ice crap. Let's not make this out like the Bruins are the only teams sick of this crap from players.

Seguin was benched in Dallas too at the end of last year for missing or being late to practice. I'm not saying the B's should have traded him but his issues still exist. How many NHL players have their own website by the way? Just curious.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

How can you say he didn't deliver on the ice? I get the other stuff, but....?

He had a bad playoffs in 2012/13 (I've argued elsewhere, unlucky), but whatever, he was 21.

In his rookie year-- and I don't think B's fans give him enough credit for this-- he helped win the Cup, essentially single handedly winning Game 2 in the Eastern Conference final with a 4 point performance against Tampa, to even the series. We won that series in 7 games. Without Seguin, we would have lost it in 6. He was 19 years old.

In his second season in the league, he led the team in goals and points at the age of 20.

In his third, strike shortened, season in 2012/13, he contended for the team lead in goals and points. Seguin was also a Corsi beast in 2012/13, rivaling Bergeron for the team best. Everyone was a better player when he was on the ice, much like Bergy. And to pre-empt the inevitable 'Bergy was inflating his numbers' claim, in reality, Seguin's Corsi numbers in 2012/13 without Bergeron on the ice were slightly better than Bergeron's without Seguin on the ice. Together their Corsi average was 65 or something ridiculous like that.

So, other than helping us win the Cup, leading the team in goals and points, contending for the team lead in goals and points, and being a Corsi leader on the team, improving everyone's possession numbers and forming perhaps the most formidable Corsi partnership in the league with Bergeron, all before his 23th birthday, yeah, he didn't at all deliver on the ice.

Honestly, if people apply the standard that they measured Seguin by, to the rest of the B's, we'd have to clear out much of the team for failing to deliver / underachieving, save maybe Bergeron.

Last edited:

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
seen seguin in espn mag? i wouldn't want that guy as the centerpiece of my team either. [mod]

the problem is they fell into the trap of getting the guy that's so underrated he's overrated and some spare parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad