News Article: Fluto: By trading Dougie Hamilton, Update: Signs 6yrs/34.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
And you know that how? Because Sweeney said so? Nobody has any idea what 'he did not want to be here' even means. It could mean that he wasn't willing to agree to whatever terms the Bruins management were dictating for his future. It could also be a complete fabrication. It could be anything, so why are you giving benefit of the doubt to the Bruins management who have a history of character assassinations after sending their franchise talent packing?

Calgary made a beautiful trade and signed Dougie to a great contract. Very much like Dallas when they got Seguin for free and he was already signed to a great contract (6 years 34 million).

Except nobody from Bruins management has assassinated Dougie Hamilton's character. :shakehead

Now aside from that, how do you explain Hamilton signing for slightly more money than was offered by Boston, except for the fact that He.Did.Not.Want.To.Be.Here. I eagerly await the twisted logic that follows.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Except nobody from Bruins management has assassinated Dougie Hamilton's character. :shakehead

Now aside from that, how do you explain Hamilton signing for slightly more money than was offered by Boston, except for the fact that He.Did.Not.Want.To.Be.Here. I eagerly await the twisted logic that follows.

Oh it wasn't the Bruins staff that right after the trade started spreading the rumours that Hamilton had no friends, Hamilton is an oddball, Hamilton isn't fitting in, Hamilton is demanding 9 million AAV, etc? We even got quotes from Clode that he wished young players weren't wishing for so much money so soon. That's also something Bruins have done before. A young talented player thinks he can dictate his terms he will be sent packing. You can spin that all you want. 'He did not want to accept our lowball offer so clearly he did not want to be here'.

No doubt the question was about money.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Oh it wasn't the Bruins staff that right after the trade started spreading the rumours that Hamilton had no friends, Hamilton is an oddball, Hamilton isn't fitting in, Hamilton is demanding 9 million AAV, etc? We even got quotes from Clode that he wished young players werent wishing for so much money for so soon.

Not one of those quotes was attributed to Bruin's staff, and Claude was obviously off the mark about money because the kid signed for only $250K more than Boston's offer.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Oh it wasn't the Bruins staff that right after the trade started spreading the rumours that Hamilton had no friends, Hamilton is an oddball, Hamilton isn't fitting in, Hamilton is demanding 9 million AAV, etc? We even got quotes from Clode that he wished young players werent wishing for so much money for so soon.

Actually no it wasn't! It was an assistant GM from another team. Unless you think Steven Harris is lying.

And it obviously wasn't about money when Calgary signed him for pretty much what the B's offered. But whatever you want to think doesn't mean that's what happened.:banghead:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Not one of those quotes was attributed to Bruin's staff, and Claude was obviously off the mark about money because the kid signed for only $250K more than Boston's offer.

Unless Dougie asked for a hell of a lot more from Boston (in the $7m range as some have reported) because he wanted to convey to the B's that he didn't want to play there. That appears to me to be what happened.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
And the deal doesn't look good for sure, but I suppose we need to see how Senyshyn, Forsbacka Karlsson, and Lauzon pan out.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Actually no it wasn't! It was an assistant GM from another team. Unless you think Steven Harris is lying.

And it obviously wasn't about money when Calgary signed him for pretty much what the B's offered. But whatever you want to think doesn't mean that's what happened.:banghead:

Yeah it's awfully convenient that right after the Bruins make a controversial trade, an anonymous assistant GM of another team reveals us some inside information from inside the Bruins locker room. This magical 'assistant GM of another team' (Providence Bruins?) is in fact a Bruins staffer or the person is just fabricated altogether.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Unless Dougie asked for a hell of a lot more from Boston (in the $7m range as some have reported) because he wanted to convey to the B's that he didn't want to play there. That appears to me to be what happened.

It is what happened. Boston offered $5.5m/6. Team Hamilton countered with $7M+ (no term announced). He signed for $5.75m/6. The only explanation for this is he didn't want to be here, and the only way he was staying is if Boston breaks the bank.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Yeah it's awfully convenient that right after the Bruins make a controversial trade, an anonymous assistant GM of another team reveals us some inside information from inside the Bruins locker room. This magical 'assistant GM of another team' (Providence Bruins?) is in fact a Bruins staffer or the person is just fabricated altogether.

or a reporter asked a contact he had who happed to be a former assistant GM of another team his opinion and reported it.

I know its a long shot but sometimes that happens. former NHL execs are asked all the time to comment on things not related to their team and a lot of former execs actually become media and comment on things not related to the teams they managed.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

There are no doubt bad journalists who fabricate, but I don't believe that a savvy veteran like Steven Harris is one of them. Awfully brave to spread false rumors about someone on the google machine.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It is what happened. Boston offered $5.5m/6. Team Hamilton countered with $7M+ (no term announced). He signed for $5.75m/6. The only explanation for this is he didn't want to be here, and the only way he was staying is if Boston breaks the bank.

I'm betting he rejects the 7M too for some other reason.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
There are no doubt bad journalists who fabricate, but I don't believe that a savvy veteran like Steven Harris is one of them. Awfully brave to spread false rumors about someone on the google machine.

Smear campaigns happen all the time in pro sports, especially after controversial trades. There's guys in the media who get their contacts by serving as mouthpieces, spreading and circulating anything necessary. Who benefits from rumours that Hamilton was rotten? The Bruins management. Does the Bruins management have a history of this kind of behaviour? Yes they do. That's all that needs to be said.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't understand the sentiment that he was unhappy with Julien or anything like that. I mean, he was utilized more than he should have been last year, in all situations. What else can you ask for?

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
I don't understand the sentiment that he was unhappy with Julien or anything like that. I mean, he was utilized more than he should have been last year, in all situations. What else can you ask for?

I'm thinking he grew up a Calgary fan, drafted by a Boston team that was on top. Saw Boston starting to fall off and Calagary starting to rise. Took his opportunity to get where he wanted. It sucks and it's a bit of a ******* method but it can work in our favor with players at some point as well.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Seriously why are people still pretending that the starting position or offer that a party makes at the beginning of a negotiation, must be non-negotiable and will not move?

That because Hamilton signed for lower than his starting counter, he must have wanted to leave?

If I'm negotiating and at the beginning of a negotiation the Bruins start at 5.5, of course I go big on my counter (7+) with the assumption that both parties move and a compromise is found somewhere in the middle (around 6m). That's how negotiations normally work.

In fact, Hamilton signed for a value essentially along the lines of just such a compromise -- between the B's starting offer and Hamilton's starting counter. It was a little lower, because he arguably has less leverage after being traded to Calgary.

We have absolutely no evidence that Hamilton indicated that his initial counter was non-negotiable. The only party unwilling to negotiate here, it seems, are the Bruins.

Based on everything we know, here is how the trade and signing happened:

• 5.5m offer from the Bruins.
  • 7+m counter from Hamilton.
  • Rather than counter, Bruins trade Hamilton.
  • Hamilton signs for a compromise number of just under 6m/year with Calgary, which was a compromise between the Bruins and his own starting counter.

Based on this, it seems to me it's the Bruins who were not negotiating in good faith, and did not try to find a compromise. They made a non-negotiable offer and when Hamilton didn't sign, but countered, they traded him, for bad value.

And now, surprise, surprise, there are all these nasty stories appearing on HFBoards and in anonymous sources, that he's "uppity" and "didn't want to be here", whatever.

If the Bruins made a below market value non-negotiate starting offer and said "take it or leave it", then why would he stay for a hometown discount? Our second best D last year, who would be our best this year.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Easier to blame Claude around here than the player

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I'm betting he rejects the 7M too for some other reason.

Absolutely. The price for Boston was going to be $1 over what they are willing to pay.

You guys have any evidence of this? A quote direct from Hamilton or his agent?

Or is speculation or based on a quote from an anonymous source "close to the Bruins". Because they have no reason to obfuscate or misrepresent at this point, with the fanbase brandishing their pitchforks.

I'm open minded. If Hamilton's initial offer was non-negotiable, it changes a lot for me, and changes my view of everything. But I see no evidence that is the case right now.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Seriously why are people still pretending that the starting position or offer that a party makes at the beginning of a negotiation, must be non-negotiable and will not move?

That because Hamilton signed for lower than his starting counter, he must have wanted to leave? Hasn't anyone here actually negotiated anything in their entire life?

If I'm negotiating and at the beginning of a negotiation the Bruins start at 5.5, of course I go big on my counter (7+) with the assumption that both parties move and a compromise is found somewhere in the middle (around 6m). That's how negotiations normally work.

In fact, Hamilton signed for a value essentially along the lines of just such a compromise -- between the B's starting offer and Hamilton's starting counter. It was a little lower, because he arguably has less leverage after being traded to Calgary.

We have absolutely no evidence that Hamilton indicated that his initial counter was non-negotiable. The only party unwilling to negotiate here, it seems, are the Bruins.

Based on everything we know, here is how the trade and signing happened:

• 5.5m offer from the Bruins.
  • 7+m counter from Hamilton.
  • Rather than counter, Bruins trade Hamilton.
  • Hamilton signs for a compromise number of just under 6m/year with Calgary, which was a compromise between the Bruins and his own starting counter.

Based on this, it seems to me it's the Bruins who were not negotiating in good faith, and did not try to find a compromise. They made a non-negotiable offer and when Hamilton didn't sign, but countered, they traded him, for bad value.

And now, surprise, surprise, there are all these nasty stories appearing on HFBoards and in anonymous sources, that he's "uppity" and "didn't want to be here", whatever.

If the Bruins made a below market value non-negotiate starting offer and said "take it or leave it", then why would he stay for a hometown discount? Our second best D last year, who would be our best this year.

We made three offers.
I am comfortable in saying this is all on Dougie, even if we should have gotten more in the trade. The smear campaign is silly but Dougie :shakehead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad