News Article: Fluto: By trading Dougie Hamilton, Update: Signs 6yrs/34.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Here is a problem the Bruins are going to have to deal with....and quickly.

Long time STH's are locked into next season ( with a modest increase ) but if the team sputters in 2015-16 many of us are going to really going to think about renewing for 2017.

A decade ago tickets were relativity inexpensive compared to today and many fans bailed then. Today a season ticket holder through secondary market options can usually break even or make some money on games they don't want to attend, but another downward season and you will be seeing fire sales on Stub Hub.

RIGHT NOW this Bruins team not only won't compete for the Cup next season, they could be the worst team in the Atlantic Division.

The entire hockey universe is dumbfounded by the Bruins moves today.

By trading Dougie Hamilton, Bruins dismiss a franchise player

The Bruins had other options besides the nuclear one of dismissing their future franchise defenseman. They could have matched an offer sheet, which they pledged to do. They could have waited until training camp, when bargaining power swung back their way. Or they could have given Hamilton what he wanted.

The third option would have been costly at first. But not long term. Defensemen like Hamilton are hard to find. Since Sweeney started his time in the front office in 2006, the Bruins have never had a defenseman with a comparable skill set. These are players you pay, even if their costs make Harry Sinden, Cam Neely, and any old-guard types want to tell them to go yodeling in the Alps.

The Bruins said goodbye to a whole lot of creativity, mobility, and touch. They’re left with Chara, Dennis Seidenberg, Torey Krug, Kevan Miller, and Adam McQuaid. The latter signed a four-year extension worth $2.75 million annually — big term for a stay-at-home defenseman with a history of freak injuries. These are players that should be replaced by younger, cheaper, in-house alternatives, not re-upped for four years.

In several years, picks 13-15 Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zachary Senyshyn (Triplets 2.0) should become good NHL players. This is no comfort to Chara, Patrice Bergeron, Tuukka Rask, David Krejci, and Brad Marchand. The dressing room they left in April is now in tatters.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Bruins have traded away 2 franchise players in the past 2 years.
First Seguin. Now Hamilton.
No more chants of, "Thank you Kessel."

Losing Lucic is no small loss either.
Although I agree that it made sense for him to leave, the return that we got leaves something to be desired.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I feel absolutely gutted for the vets.

I would actually be ok with trading all of them at this point (aside from Bergeron, as he is the Bruins). They deserve much better than this.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
more than anything right now I want to see what Dougie's deal ends up being. I can't possibly imagine it is so bad that it justifies trading him.

And the killer is the return. The Isles return for Reinhart was only slightly worse on paper, and arguably equal considering that the Bruins reached with the 15 pick. Had they traded Dougie to the Oilers and picked 16th and 33rd they probably still could have gotten their guys Debrusk and Senyshyn. But Dougie is way better than Reinhart so they honestly could have gotten a much better return.

I mean Dougie was a 9th overall pick and probably should have gone top 5 in his draft and the best they get in return for him is 15? WTF were they thinking?

Marley

Feb 10, 2011
I liked Hamilton but he's not a franchise player.

That said, the return for him sucked.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not only worse than Seguin trade, but worse than Thornton trade.

Is already an all time bad trade. Just 6 hours later.

Know what is funny? He will eventually be scoring more points than our points leader.

I can see him hitting 60-70 in Calgary, regardless of how good his D is.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Wow. Think about that and let it settle in.

Ouch.

This day is definitely worse. This meltdown is much worse than when we traded Seguin.
It's not even close. Most could live with the return Seguin fetched us and also had much more faith in the teams management.

How quickly the times have changed. I feel like our organisation isn't run much better than the Oilers or Flyers. Philly is another exmaple of a very talented and stacked team that dismantled themselves by making stupid decision after stupid decision.

The B's been taking the same road ever since 2011. I was glad they finally canned that lucky guy Chiarelli. But now it turns out his luckiest trade ever (he and everyone else thought the Leafs pick would be mid-range selections) was thrown out of the window by that inept group of dummies.

It starts from the TOP. They didn't handle the firing of Chiarelli very well. They didn't handle the signing of Sweeney very well. And frankly, they didn't handle the Julien-situation very well. Actually I thought it was embarassing by such a decorated franchise.

Seriously, the Jacob's might very well be the worst owners ever. Jeremy is unbearable, but Charlie is taking this whole thing on another level. How can we feel comfortable being run by those clowns?
If you ask me, it will get better as soon as they overhaul that entire management. Neely and his puppets + Jeremy calls back his annoying son.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
What did most bruins fans see hamilton as? was he still being projected as a future #1/franchise guy? a solid top pairing guy?

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
What did most bruins fans see hamilton as? was he still being projected as a future #1/franchise guy? a solid top pairing guy?

most of us expected him to be our #1 Defensemen for the next 12 years

just a very sad day to be a Boston Bruins fan

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Funny how quickly a player becomes the next great one.

Ain't that the truth. A few months ago people wanted him benched because of his constant mistakes in the d zone.

Hamilton is a good young defensemen, in his prime I think he could be a very good #2 offensive defensemen. But he will never be Erik Karlsson IMO.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The part that's maddening about people judging Dougie is not what he is NOW. It's what he could be at age 25. At the second hardest position in the game, we traded a 22 year old who is on a career arc to be GREAT.

22 years old and he was already that good.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
To TOR: Kessel

To BOS: Seguin, Hamilton, & Knight
------------------------------------------------
To Dallas: Seguin, Peverley, & Ryan Button

To BOS: Eriksson, Smith, Fraser, & Morrow
To EDM: Fraser

To BOS: 0, zip, nada, about what you would expect.
To CAL: Hamilton

To BOS: 2015 - 15 (Zachary Senyshyn), 45, & 52
-------------------------------------------------
To MIN: Jared Knight

To BOS: Zach Phillips
-------------------------------------------------

Since arriving in TOR Kessel has wore out his welcome, consumed 459 pounds of cheese fries, and scored 281 regular season goals.

Combined Seguin (56), Hamilton (22), Eriksson (23), R.Smith (33), Fraser (5), and Morrow (1) have combined for 140 regular season goals.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Here's what I don't get: Bruins are trying to get younger and quicker apparently. Right? I mean they won't call this a rebuild, but trading 2 core guys and picking 3 spots in a row in the first round to me loudly says 'rebuild'.

So if you're going to rebuild and hand it over to the kids then why trade Dougie? If you're going for a youth movement then why not trade Chara instead? I mean I would personally keep both but if you insist on only paying one of them 7 mil then I go with the guy who's on the rise and fits today's NHL over the guy who is on the decline and wears 2 knee braces.

Sure now they've re-stocked the cupboard and may have some real good future players on their hands but when those kids are NHL players Chara will be gone and then who runs the D?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Not only worse than Seguin trade, but worse than Thornton trade.

Is already an all time bad trade. Just 6 hours later.

Know what is funny? He will eventually be scoring more points than our points leader.

I can see him hitting 60-70 in Calgary, regardless of how good his D is.

Sure but i hear Trotman and Cross can block shots.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I liked Hamilton but he's not a franchise player.

That said, the return for him sucked.

People have been sure Dougie is a franchise defenseman for so long they are incapable of thinking anything else.

Sweeney might very well feel that Dougie will only be a very solid offensive defenseman for many years, but might never be a solid defender. Maybe he didn't want to pay 6.5 per for a offensive defensman for a real long term.

The return was weak, because of the Dougie hype. Sweeney, and tuns of people, have been terrified of an offer sheet for weeks. He wanted the picks this year.

I'm not sure an offer sheet was so sure. But Sweeney's actions scream it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad