News Article: Fluto: By trading Dougie Hamilton, Update: Signs 6yrs/34.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Maybe, being a Canadian, he just wanted to go home? He's real young and maybe misses his family, pretty normal for a guy to get home sick, and Calgary are only gonna get better, I think he has fallen in the 'right' place for him, sucks for us but it is what it is and Family comes before hockey. I just hope he doesn't now go 'beast mode' that hes in his 'happy' place.

He's from Toronto. Consult a map.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
St. Catherines, actually.

Okay, right. He's from Southern Ontario then.

Distance to Calgary ~3400 km
Distance to Boston ~900km

Unless he has family in Calgary, I doubt there's any "going home because he misses his family" aspect to this.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Sweeney and Neely were leaning on Hamilton to start going by the name "Douglas" instead of "Dougie." It was a non-starter.

Same thing happened with Seguin rejecting the name "Ty", and Kessel's rejection of their chosen moniker for him: "Toad."

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
we offered 5.5

He signs for 5.75

If Dougie wanted to be here the Bruins would have 100% gave him the extra 1.5 million over 5 years

Dougie didn't want to be here good riddance

It can't be the money.
Canadian taxes alone will wipe out the modest increase in salary he got over the B's offer.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I'll never get all the facts, therefore I evaluate the situation with 2 things in mind: Common sense and no preconceived notions.

Doesn't common sense involve preconceived notions of what is "common" sense?

Come on, jgatie. I know we've disagreed pretty hard on Seguin, but we're not so far apart on Hamilton, etc. :)

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Doesn't common sense involve preconceived notions of what is "common" sense?

Come on, jgatie. I know we've disagreed pretty hard on Seguin, but we're not so far apart on Hamilton, etc. :)

No, common sense is what precludes having preconceived notions. And no, we are not that far apart, but to see the mental gymnastics being used to pin this one on Sweeney is pretty funny.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
No, common sense is what precludes having preconceived notions. And no, we are not that far apart, but to see the mental gymnastics being used to pin this one on Sweeney is pretty funny.

Fair enough, but for the record, I'm not trying to pin things on Sweeney. I actually think in light of what comes out, I'm willing to cut him slack on the return. When a player doesn't want to stay, it mucks up incentives and leverage a team has, even over an RFA, and sets things somewhat awry.

I still think a more patient approach may have led to a better outcome (matching, then trading in a year), but admittedly, that's not a guaranteed win either. There are risks both ways (match Hamilton, then he gets injured, for example), and Sweeney tried to go big on this draft, probably tried to trade up several picks and it didn't work out.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
So the Clod Julien was upset that real, actual talent like Seguin & now Hamilton didn't love his system?

Screw him & his damn system. SweeNeely should've kept Hamilton and fired the Clod.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
So the Clod Julien was upset that real, actual talent like Seguin & now Hamilton didn't love his system?

Screw him & his damn system. SweeNeely should've kept Hamilton and fired the Clod.

No. Hamilton didn't like it here, for whatever reason. Say it was the system, and you fire Clode. Who's to say more players won't hate the new system? And who's to say Hamilton would've even stayed? He had an excuse (well...) to jump ship for an up and coming contender and make sure we got a s*** deal out of it so that we're even less of competition to his new team as thanks for believing in him and Claude giving him more ice time than he deserved based on his level of play (not that we had much better options). Also, wouldn't want to take that risk for the player Hamilton was last season, or even what he could grow into. Seguin and Hamilton, maybe, but too much risk there anyway, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad