OT: Florida's 2023 1st to dump Gallagher...

Would you do it, plain & simple??

• Yes

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 239 84.2%

• Total voters

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
100%!

Imo Gally's contract is a contender for worst in a league and I'd trade Florida's 1st in a heartbeat if somebody actually took that package for him.

Edit: If we didn't have Gally's contract on the books, we could have gotten Pacioretty from Vegas and flipped him at the deadline for a 1st rounder + decent prospect.

Having 6.5M in cap space could enable HuGo to acquire cap dumps and flip them at the deadline.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Yall can't see two steps ahead. Gallagher and the first for nothing would be an absolute steal. Then we could take on more terrible contracts for at least double the value of a late 1st.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I’m kind of torn down the middle. We really don’t need to trade it anytime soon with our current situation. But at the same time, the contract is so bad, if we had the chance to rid ourselves of it right now, it would be hard not too pull the trigger.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
On one hand, Gallagher is good for the tank. On the other hand, 2-3 years from now, I don’t think anyone will take him… even for a 1st. I’m not very hopeful when it comes to Gallagher.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Have no idea why anyone would vote yesterday to this. Not only do we not need to dump Gally as there is plenty of deadweight we can cut loose first, contracts expiring and no need for the cash, but why give a valuable asset to do this? Leafs HAD to trade Marleau and it cost them Jarvis. Add to that FLA has fallen behind the arms race in the East and could easily fall out of the playoffs next season.

All this equals a hell nah from me. Keep Gally, hope he can have a comeback year and recover from injuries and hopefully he’ll up his value that way. But to trade a 1st to move him for no reason is ridiculous and would never happen under competent HuGo management.

Reactions: KFlint and Revansky

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yall can't see two steps ahead. Gallagher and the first for nothing would be an absolute steal. Then we could take on more terrible contracts for at least double the value of a late 1st.
Which part of Hughes saying they expect the team to be competitive and disappointed if they’re a lottery team and Gorton saying there will be no tear down to the foundation & rebuild does that align with?

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
No trading a first for a rebulding team isn't the way to go. Trade a first in 2025 if needed when we compete but for now we need more blue chip and A prospect than capspace.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
But cap flexibility can be utilized to accumulate assets during a rebuild. Look at what Arizona was able to do by taking on the Kassian contract. We were frozen out of making such deals because we didn't have that flexibility.

That said, like others have mentioned, I wait a couple years before looking to move Gally. We do need to ice a roster after all.
Giving up a first to free up contract space to acquire more contracts which will be unlikely to fetch a first seems like bad asset management

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Krett Bulak

Jun 21, 2010
Let the guy have a good summer of training and recovery from his injuries.

He had a bad season like everyone else. But he was a fan favorite in 2019 with two consecutive 30 goal seasons and on pace for the same in the two seasons after that. (injuries)

He had ONE terrible season coming back from injuries and people are ready to burn him alive.

Let's see what he does this year.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The only reason his contract is so terrible is because we have so many other terrible contracts too.

Price, Anderson, Armia, Hoffman, Drouin, etc.

Those 6 contracts are nearly 40% of our cap. Add in Dadonov and Byron and you're at 50%.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If Gally gets us ~50 points per year, while being an absolute pain in the ass for the other teams, we won't have to "dump" him. He still holds value if he can stay healthy. Retention sure.....but pure cap dump, no.

Reactions: GrandBison

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
I'd wait two years to buy him out if he hasn't picked-up his play in the meantime to trade him.
As always, contract structure sucks for a buyout. Buying him out in 2024 or 2025 gives a pretty bad cap hit of over 4 millions in 2026-2027, the rest being roughly 2 millions a year. Gotta love Bergevin and his crappy contracts.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Giving up a first to free up contract space to acquire more contracts which will be unlikely to fetch a first seems like bad asset management
Right, but I was never in favour of giving up a first. Just stating that there are clear advantages to having cap flexibility even in a rebuild that we are unable to take advantage of.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I'd gladly give the Florida 1st if it turns out to be higher than 15 lol. Sadly tho, to get cap room, you might have to part with Anderson and keep Gallagher instead. At least in that scenario, Habs will be receiving assets back

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The only reason his contract is so terrible is because we have so many other terrible contracts too.

Price, Anderson, Armia, Hoffman, Drouin, etc.

Those 6 contracts are nearly 40% of our cap. Add in Dadonov and Byron and you're at 50%.

Lol, far from the only reason.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
What about wait and see how he comes back? If he plays like last year, then his "value" will raise a bit as the contract lenght will shorten. If he has a strong season, then we will have the choice to trade him for something valuable or to keep him to help the kids.

If you want to replace what Gallagher SHOULD bring to the team, you are not getting it with less than 4M$, so it's not about 6,5M$ but about 2.5M$

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yes, and Gallagher's is arguably the worst of them.
Depends if he rebounds this year and can stay healthy. If he's healthy and gives us 50 points, he's overpaid only slightly.

We pay Anderson 5.5. He's scored 62 points in 143 games in a Montreal jersey. That's 35 points per 82. Gallagher has scored 53 in 113, in the same time frame, which is 38 per 82. And Gallagher isn't a dumpster fire in his own end. Both contracts are bad currently. Maybe they can both have huge years and become moveable.

And I don't see how anyone can think Price isn't the worst. It's 13% of the cap.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
C'est une poupée...qui fait NON-NON-NON-NON......

A joke that only oldies will understand....

Jul 6, 2016
Depends if he rebounds this year and can stay healthy. If he's healthy and gives us 50 points, he's overpaid only slightly.

We pay Anderson 5.5. He's scored 62 points in 143 games in a Montreal jersey. That's 35 points per 82. Gallagher has scored 53 in 113, in the same time frame, which is 38 per 82. And Gallagher isn't a dumpster fire in his own end. Both contracts are bad currently. Maybe they can both have huge years and become moveable.

And I don't see how anyone can think Price isn't the worst. It's 13% of the cap.
I think both players had been badly injured over the last couple of years. Let's wait a bit.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
...so, pretty simple question here...would you trade the unprotected 2023 1st we got from Florida to dump Gallagher's contract??...:dunno:
I have no idea why so many folks are counting Gallagher as a cap dump , I think he'll be good for the majority of what's left on his contract while being an outstanding role model and leader for all the kids that will be coming up over the next five years .

• Haha
Reactions: the

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Giving up a first just to get rid of Gallagher is dumb. If we want to get rid of Gallagher the answer is buyout. So if after this season Gallagher continues to regress and we buy him out in '23 it's only a 2m cap hit. Yeah it's for a long time but with a rising cap 2m is basically nothing and a first round pick is way more valuable.

And it's not like our rebuild is going to be completed over night, we could easily suck for 2-3 years so it's not like we would even care about the capspace. So you wait until the team looks like it's starting to get good and then you buy him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad