OT: Florida's 2023 1st to dump Gallagher...

Would you do it, plain & simple??

• Yes

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 239 84.2%

• Total voters

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Here's a true solution. Give Gally the best minutes and linemates and cross those fingers that he can produce and raise his value. Then you trade him the **** out.
He’s gonna be in a wheelchair by the end of the year man, it’s over for Gally

Reactions: zeeto

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Have you paid attention to what Florida has done this off-season and do you know how deep the 2023 draft is shaping up to be?

The Florida pick could eb huge.

Florida is still a playoff team imo, but they're a couple bad streaks or an injury away from not being one after this off-season and after what teams like Ottawa have done.

I'm thinking

Tampa
Toronto
Florida
--------
Ottawa (could jump into top 3 but it's Florida's spot to lose)
Boston (could change if Bergeron is back)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well he’s a RW, he can’t play with Suzuki, giving him to Dach isn’t fair to Dach, he should get Anderson. Then there’s Armia left on the right and he’s better then Gally.. so 4th line it is? There’s no scenario where your proposition works barring injuries.
Dvorak-Gallagher
Evans-Armia

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
No. On an additional note? Our neighborhood has sold over 3 houses over the last 2 years. All of the new residents are fantastic imo. Cat lovers like me. I’m not embellishing! At any given time? There are at least 3 working if you look. My beautiful wife is not a cat fan… we have no cats. My only recourse? To befriend the house local cats with treats! It’s working lol

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Florida is still a playoff team imo, but they're a couple bad streaks or an injury away from not being one after this off-season and after what teams like Ottawa have done.

I'm thinking

Tampa
Toronto
Florida
--------

They're close to a potential wildcard team now and considering how deep this draft looks, we could end up getting our best defensive prospect in our pool with their selection, even if its early 20.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I'm thinking

Tampa
Toronto
Florida
--------

They're an Ekblad injury away from having Montour as their best D-man. Which would be worse than Montreal's tire fire of a D core. And Ekblad has missed a quarter of the season the last two seasons. Florida is also over the cap even with Duclair on LTIR.

This could backfire spectacularly for Florida and having their unprotected 1st could be significant.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I'm thinking

Tampa
Toronto
Florida
--------
They are potentially worse now than they were last week though. Huberdeau has been a solid 90+ player for the last 4 years. Tkachuk might have taken the next step last season or it might just be a cereer year. Weegar is not perfect but he is a good dman and the defense was their weakest link.

They should make the playoffs but it's less certain that last week. First year of a big contract for a player who's not used to have much pressure and is not used to play with Barkov. Weaker defense with an old past his prime number 1 goalie and a young goalie potentially not ready. Sky could fall on their head without the Barkov and Huberdeau duo.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
This is a simple yes. I think people expect Gallagher to bounce back. I think the odds are better he regresses even more. Then what? You're in the Lucic, Richards situation. A measly 1st round pick to liberate 6.5M in cap for FIVE years? The fact that the pick is unprotected means nothing. Florida is still an extremely good team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This is a simple yes. I think people expect Gallagher to bounce back. I think the odds are better he regresses even more. Then what? You're in the Lucic, Richards situation. A measly 1st round pick to liberate 6.5M in cap for FIVE years? The fact that the pick is unprotected means nothing. Florida is still an extremely good team.
Even if we considered the idea, there are two hurdles to overcome.

First, the acquiring team has to have cap space, or make the space.

Second, Gallagher has to be willing to accept the place he is being sent to.

So forget Winnipeg, Arizona, Anaheim, Vegas, Tampa, Florida, Calgary and likely many more.

The acquiring team will be one with a short compete window, who thinks Gally's grit will help, and who have a contract to send us back for one or two years, hopefully a player we can use on the ice and who might fetch a pick of some kind in his final year.

Does such a trade partner exist?

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Even if we considered the idea, there are two hurdles to overcome.

First, the acquiring team has to have cap space, or make the space.

Second, Gallagher has to be willing to accept the place he is being sent to.

So forget Winnipeg, Arizona, Anaheim, Vegas, Tampa, Florida, Calgary and likely many more.

The acquiring team will be one with a short compete window, who thinks Gally's grit will help, and who have a contract to send us back for one or two years, hopefully a player we can use on the ice and who might fetch a pick of some kind in his final year.

Does such a trade partner exist?

I agree. But that wasn't the question. I think it would be highly unlikely a team would take his contract on just for a draft pick. But if they would, then I would do it.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
That Florida pick is looking better and better and better all the time. I don't think Tkachuk was worth half what Florida gave up for him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Any chance there might be a window in the next two years where Gallagher's contract could be traded to a team close to where Gallagher grew up? I'm assuming he'd waive for that possibility. You'd really have to get rebound-type seasons to pitch it, no doubt.

Reactions: jaffy27

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Hell no, I don't think he's done. He'll rebound next season.

And we don't really need to get rid of him right now.
He can rebound. I will take Paul McCartney as an example. 10 years with the Beatles and the group split.
Mac went from excellence (especially the last album Abbey Road) to mediocrity. Mac's first 4 albums were bad.
One album have only one good song like Maybe I'm amazed. Each album hade only one or maybe two good songs. Most people said he's finished, washed up completely. Then comes his 5th album Band on the Run That's a good album. Even his less knowned songs were good enough to make the complete album interresting from the beginning to the end.

So this year could be the "Band on the Run" for Gally. Mac lost his team with John, George and Ringo. Gally lost his center with Danault. That's an excuse for a really bad year and I think Gally is not done. Not yet.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Considering a buyout only costs about 2m it's not a 1st vs 6.5m it's a 1st vs 2m. From memory Lucic had a buyout proof contract like Price so not really a good comparison, not to mention they dealt Lucic without giving up anything close to a 1st.

Reactions: zeeto and jaffy27

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Hughes has already given up on next year (I'm sure paying fans are happy about that...) but it's the four years after that, during which Gallagher's contract will be increasingly less efficient and painful, that need to be accounted for.

I don't think a 1st round pick is enough to sell Gallagher, I also don't think we should pay more than that to get rid of Gallagher. I'd rather bet on the cap going up for the 2023-2024 season and the Gallagher-induced pain going proportionally down.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
I think it would cost more in this market to take on 5 years, I also think The only teams that *might* theoretically be interested in even doing something like this would probably be the handful of teams on his no trade list.

Honestly at this point, as much as watching him play physically f***ing pains me, probably best to just let it sit for at least a year or 2 before deciding what to do with that stupid contract. Get through the 8 mill he's owed in 23-24 and the 9 mill in 24-25 and we can figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad