OT: Florida's 2023 1st to dump Gallagher...

Would you do it, plain & simple??

• Yes

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 239 84.2%

• Total voters

CanadienColt

Jul 6, 2022
We will eventually dump it in the next couple of years, but not now. The reasons are:
1. I have a feeling he's going to have a great year (lowest value now)
2. 2023 draft is going to be a deep and talented draft. Good chance to get an impact player.
3. Need his influence on these young prospects we just drafted. Gallagher's influence on this team cannot be measured simply by goals and assists. Great mentor.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
No for now. I'd rather know where that pick will be before the Habs trade it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We will eventually dump it in the next couple of years, but not now. The reasons are:
1. I have a feeling he's going to have a great year (lowest value now)
2. 2023 draft is going to be a deep and talented draft. Good chance to get an impact player.
3. Need his influence on these young prospects we just drafted. Gallagher's influence on this team cannot be measured simply by goals and assists. Great mentor.

Exactly and spot on. You deserve a hug for that

giphy.gif

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
We don't need the space now so I wouldn't consider it. It is more important to keep accruing as many high end picks as possible. We can always trade him later in his contract when we are more established......who knows, Gallagher seems like a prime suspect to end up on LTIR before his contract expires anyways.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A 1st is just a 1st. Especially from 15th down, which is what this one is likely to be. Who cares?

I'd rather have a late 1st.

Only way I'm interested in trading that pick is if it's to acquire someone who can step in and help the team long term. I'm not paying it to get rid of someone. You don't want to repeat the same mistakes other teams have made.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Why are we trying to dump Gallagher in the first place?
Habs fans at their ultimate… what have you don’t for me lately.

Never sell an asset at low point…. given Gallagher’s natural work ethic & drive, probability would state there’s a strong chance he will bounce back after a long off season to train, rest & recuperate.

I get it, he’s got hard miles on that body, but the dude just turned 30, not 35. I also suspect Gallagher’s game will adapt to MSLs concept, with more focus on shedding weight in exchange for mobility/pace

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not directly (ie Gally + 1st for future considerations)...

Might as well see if/how much he bounces back after a long offseason, no rush to free up that cap space and with Hoffman/Drouin/Dadonov/Caufield as 4 of our top 9 fwds, his grit and style of play up front is much needed.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Next year we will have a lot of cap space, with Byron, Drouin, Dadonov and Allen gone... 16,7M. Useless move.

Exactly.

Hughes said in his zoom call after free agency that one way or another, the Habs will have cap space because of all the contracts coming to an end. He wasn't saying he will let them all walk. He was only pointing to the fact that they will have more cap space to work with sooner than later.

And the year after that, Hoffman and Edmundson = 8M between those two alone.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Good question OP, I would like to get rid of Gallagher but I think we can wait it out two more years before his contract becomes problematic.

We can ship him to Laval if he becomes too much of a liability on the ice like we did with Alzner.

Last edited:

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
No, ridiculous really. Gallagher been good player for a decade. A two time 33 goal scorer who bleeds the CH
Too bad we can't time travel back 3 years. And who cares that he bleeds the CH? He's no where near worth his contract and looks like a 3rd liner at this point. His benefit to this team is in the past. Just like Price. Hes banged up and slow. Hes not "bouncing back". Time to get rid of bad contracts. How you can seriously defend Gallagher's current worth is beyond me. I would've kept Leks over him any day.
Ps I'm not saying I'd give up a first just to move him.

Reactions: the

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I would like to see if Gallagher can bounce back from clear nagging injury problems and one of the most statistically unlucky seasons of a player in the past decade before even considering this.

Reactions: Archijerej

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Nope, there is no reason to waste a 1st round pick. They are 3 or 4 years away from being a serious playoff team and by then Gally contract will be coming to an end. Their cap problems begin to disappear next off season.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No...are we desperate to unload his contract? We're fine for this upcoming season...we have about 17m coming off the books next off-season so we'll likely be fine that year too.

This is a problem for 2 years down the road which just so happens to be when PLD is a UFA too (assuming he isn't signed to another team longterm). Who knows what our cap situation will be like then.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
People need to get to grips with this. We're not a good team. We don't need to be a good team now. We're basically Phoenix. So just letting guys play (Price, Gallagher, Hoffman, Dvorak, Drouin, Dadonov, Matheson, Byron, Allen, Anderson) and increase their value. Cup contending teams get desperate and will overpay. Then trading them out to a contendor, while we are tanking is how we are going to get back on the level of a Colorado, Edmonton, etc.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Cap flexibility is not a huge priority at this point in the rebuild.

But cap flexibility can be utilized to accumulate assets during a rebuild. Look at what Arizona was able to do by taking on the Kassian contract. We were frozen out of making such deals because we didn't have that flexibility.

That said, like others have mentioned, I wait a couple years before looking to move Gally. We do need to ice a roster after all.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Au contraire! I don't think Gallagher is done. He has way too many excuses on his side. I'm confident he will score 25+ next year. Why dump his awful contract when the value is at its lowest?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Good question OP, I would like to get rid of Gallagher but I think we can wait it out two more years before his contract becomes problematic.

We can ship him to Laval if he becomes too much of a liability on the ice like we did with Alzner.
Bergevin made sure to give him a NMC on top of all that money so unfortunately we’re stuck with him in the NHL if he declines more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad