OT: Florida's 2023 1st to dump Gallagher...

Would you do it, plain & simple??

• Yes

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 239 84.2%

• Total voters

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You don't want to go all youth. Habs have tons of salaries coming off the books this year. There is no need for this move. Gallagher is character player.
Exploring different options that all include him playing fr the Habs this year.

1. He rebounds to at least 20 goals.
a. he is brought back another year​
b. every few months, we explore a hockey trade to VAN, CGY or EDM​
c. repeat each year and hope he can continue to pot 18-20 and display his work ethic​
2. He plays like a guy whose body has given out but is not officially permanently injured - pitiful production
a. we tell him this is too sad to watch and tell him that if we buy him out, he would get $2M or so per year for 8 years (or 6 years if he gets through two years before we hit this point)​
b. would it not be better for his body while still respecting his meaning to the franchise to take an assistant coaching job for similar money?​
3. At some point the doctors say he is finished, and the insurance will pay his salary
a. we do a simiar trade as we did with Weber​

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Man does the buy-out system sucks. It's practically useless. I don't think that allowing one that doesnt count on the cap per year would result in chaos with every team signing monster deals. Because buying out means you still have to pay the actual money to the player, so if you abuse the system you'll pay a lot of dollarinos and no owner want to pay dozens of millions "dans le beurre" for players who don't actually play.

It would help for situations like Luongo where the athlete is unhappy, the team is unhappy, the teammates, the fans, etc. and it just makes way more sense to just pull the plug.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I’ll bet Gally has a bounce back year. Will be easier to offload him if he pots 30 again.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
At some point we will have to pay to dump him. There's no logical reason to do it now.
Once the draft is over and the UFA market is closed for 2023, I'd consider paying for a team to take Gallagher's contract.

I'd offer as much as a 2nd round pick in 2024, a 1st round pick in 2025 and a 3rd round pick in 2026. I think it might cost that much to move that contract after this upcoming season, with four years remaining on it.

Hopefully, we land a 1st pairing RHD on the UFA front, a Weegar type, at the minimum. That compensates for the 1st round pick in 2025, but we'd still have our 1st round pick in 2024, after most likely having picked early at the draft in 2023.

That would leave us two firsts from 2022, two firsts from 2023 and at least a 1st from 2024. We should have added decent talent by 2025. If we address the RHD problem with a young, UFA signing and maybe add Dubois in 2024, we won't miss the draft picks given ion 2024, 2025 and 2026 to move Gallagher's contract, IMO.

There would be plenty of options for top-6 players from Suzuki, Caufield, Dubois, Slafkovsky, Dach, Anderson, our 2023 1st round pick and Roy. That's eight players for 6 spots. Even if a few swings are misses, we'd have a strong top-6 and the misses would likely seamlessly slide into a 3rd line chair.

I’ll bet Gally has a bounce back year. Will be easier to offload him if he pots 30 again.
If he pots 20, it will be easier to offload him.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Once the draft is over and the UFA market is closed for 2023, I'd consider paying for a team to take Gallagher's contract.

I'd offer as much as a 2nd round pick in 2024, a 1st round pick in 2025 and a 3rd round pick in 2026. I think it might cost that much to move that contract after this upcoming season, with four years remaining on it.

Hopefully, we land a 1st pairing RHD on the UFA front, a Weegar type, at the minimum. That compensates for the 1st round pick in 2025, but we'd still have our 1st round pick in 2024, after most likely having picked early at the draft in 2023.

That would leave us two firsts from 2022, two firsts from 2023 and at least a 1st from 2024. We should have added decent talent by 2025. If we address the RHD problem with a young, UFA signing and maybe add Dubois in 2024, we won't miss the draft picks given ion 2024, 2025 and 2026 to move Gallagher's contract, IMO.

There would be plenty of options for top-6 players from Suzuki, Caufield, Dubois, Slafkovsky, Dach, Anderson, our 2023 1st round pick and Roy. That's eight players for 6 spots. Even if a few swings are misses, we'd have a strong top-6 and the misses would likely seamlessly slide into a 3rd line chair.

If he pots anything close to 25 goals and 50 points next season you just keep him.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If he pots anything close to 25 goals and 50 points next season you just keep him.
That's an option, but I'd flog him, because the odds of his production dropping before the end of that contract (four more years after next year's 25Gs and 50Ps, if it happens.

Gallagher's style of play, size and lack of conditioning (notice he's out of breath halfway through every shift and has trouble getting back to the bench).

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
That's an option, but I'd flog him, because the odds of his production dropping before the end of that contract (four more years after next year's 25Gs and 50Ps, if it happens.

Gallagher's style of play, size and lack of conditioning (notice he's out of breath halfway through every shift and has trouble getting back to the bench).
It will take a whole lot to dump him if he's bad.

When you have teams dumping players like Pacioretty for nothing...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Character :D
Gallagher is hardest worker in NHL. He bleeds the CH. Been many great moments from in the Bubble to playoff series win in Boston 2014 to 2021 Playoffs of course. A bad season under Ducharme who would give up an unprotected pick in stacked draft? It's nonsense. Be worst trade in Habs 110 year history

A two time 33 goal scorer, He's only 30 shouldn't be done

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Absolutely not. This is incredibly short sighted.

We don’t need the cap space now, why not wait more and see how things go. Maybe he finds his game back and at worst there is one less year on his contract.

This is a disease called “cap space obsession syndrome” CSOS. Everyone is seemingly obsessed with cap space that it takes away all common sense. Yes cap space is important and valuable but there is no point in paying valuable assets when you don’t really need it

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

F no

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yall can't see two steps ahead. Gallagher and the first for nothing would be an absolute steal. Then we could take on more terrible contracts for at least double the value of a late 1st.
Then why would someone accept only a late 1st for Gallagher if the cap space we’d be saving is, by your estimation, worth double that amount?

I don’t see any logical argument to justify trading Gallagher now. Particularly if it comes at the expense of a non protected 1st round pick in a stacked draft.

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
No. HUGE NO!!
(absolutely not!!).

We need our 1st rnd pick (Florida).
We need to keep it.

Our 1st rnd picks is what will make this season interesting.
(Will ours be a top 3 pick? top 5 pick? top 10 pick? Will our other 1st rnd pick from Florida become a top 10 pick? top 15 pick? top 20 pick?).

We need our 1st rnd picks.
(contending teams will probably be interested in Gallagher within 2-3 years...for now we desperately need to keep our 1st rnd picks).

Apr 28, 2010
I would not. Gally seems like the type of player you just keep no matter what.

Unless we're gaining a legit young top pairing dman out of this deal, then go for it, I guess..

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Gallagher will slide in production towards becoming an energy, 3rd line winger. He certainly won't be worth the 6.5M by the end off the contract, even if the Cap goes up again in two years from now.

It's costly, but a 1st in 2025, a 2nd in 2024 and a 3rd in 2026 as payment for team to take on all of that remaining contract is not a bad idea. It still leaves us the two firsts from 2023 and our 1st from 2024. Ideally, we'd also get a 2nd 1st round pick in 2024.

With three years of having two 1st round picks, including at least two years with great picks of our own in the first round (Slafkovsky in 2022 and one of Fantilli or Dvorsky in 2023?), we'd be set in terms of first round talent and still could count on 2024 for more.

Beyond that, the cap space is more important than another 1st round pick in 2025.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad