OT: Florida's 2023 1st to dump Gallagher...

Would you do it, plain & simple??

• Yes

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 239 84.2%

• Total voters

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Wouldn’t this early. Hopefully we get some LTIR relief with Price and Byron to help out. I’d put Armia on waivers and pray someone takes him. Drouin is gone at year end.

Definitely something to look at end of season when we know where the pick ends up and if he bounced back or not.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I voted no, but I hesitated. The tiebreaker was the unprotected part. There's a decidedly non-zero chance this pick turns into a superstar through a top 5 or top 10 pick.

Right now, Gallagher's value is at its lowest. A decent season or two, and his contract isn't as bad, and it's 2 years shorter by then, too. Once the cap starts rising (and with inflation as it is, it will move up quickly), it might be a tolerable deal for a 3d liner with some leadership. And I don't expect that cap room will be critical to keeping anyone until its last year or two, and by then it's 50-50 that he'll be LTIR, or just that with a higher cap the cost of moving that deal is less.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
...so, pretty simple question here...would you trade the unprotected 2023 1st we got from Florida to dump Gallagher's contract??...:dunno:

Not before I know it's not in the top 15 in 2023. Would you trade a franchise player to dump Gallagher?

We'll have more 1st round picks in 2023 and 2024 - with more certainty they will be around 25-30, let's trade those.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
...so, pretty simple question here...would you trade the unprotected 2023 1st we got from Florida to dump Gallagher's contract??...:dunno:
Even if we could, I wouldn't. We need to accumulate 1st round picks and 2nd round picks for 2023 and 2024 if we want a rebuild that won't be eternal. We need as many cracks at real talent as possible and that's 1st and 2nd round.

Once Gallagher and Price's contracts are the only archetypes left from the Bergevin era, it won't be crippling in the least. We can handle one bad 6.5M contract for a third line winger by year four from now, along with Price's last year on his contract.

Beyond that, there's a possibility we can trade Gallagher without sacrificing a 1st round pick if he rebounds this season, which I think is still possible.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I voted no, but I hesitated. The tiebreaker was the unprotected part. There's a decidedly non-zero chance this pick turns into a superstar through a top 5 or top 10 pick.

Right now, Gallagher's value is at its lowest. A decent season or two, and his contract isn't as bad, and it's 2 years shorter by then, too. Once the cap starts rising (and with inflation as it is, it will move up quickly), it might be a tolerable deal for a 3d liner with some leadership. And I don't expect that cap room will be critical to keeping anyone until its last year or two, and by then it's 50-50 that he'll be LTIR, or just that with a higher cap the cost of moving that deal is less.
That contract will age badly, for sure, but it won't be a Cap problem for the Habs, not with the huge chunks of Cap space potentially coming off the books every year for the next four years. This year alone, with contracts ending for Drouin, Byron, Allen and Dadonov, it's 16.775M potentially off the books. Most, if not all of those contracts should be gone by trade deadline.

After next year, it's Hoffman, Pitlick, Edmundson, mount Mambo and Wideman with contracts potentially coming off the books. That's another 10.1M and I'm not even counting Wideman whom is clearly a league minimum deal.

In the 3rd year, it's another 13.05M with Dvorak, Armia, Savard and Evans potentially coming off the books.

After the fourth year, Price's final year on his last NHL contract, IMO, it's another 15.375M potentially coming off the books if you consider Matheson's newly acquired contract.

As long as HuGo keep acquiring talent through then draft, trades and UFA signings, they will have enough leeway to keep improving the team year in and year put without needing to move Gallagher's contract.

The Cap will stay flat for another two years, but should go up again once revenue sharing is evened out with money recouped from the players.

HuGo are not in a bad cap situation for a strong rebuild, including Gallagher's ALBATROSS OF A CONTRACT.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Gallagher’s contract is one of the worst in the NHL… also Carey Price’s. With Price we have the LTIR back door solution. It’s less likely we have that with Gallagher given how young he is and (presumably) how much he wants to keep playing hockey.

I don’t think we need that cap space today as we have other options to uncover cap space — Dadanov, Drouin, Allen, and Byron (+ Alzner) are off the books by next July at the latest.

Our best bet is to hope he grinds to 20-20 and 40pts this season and feels productive and engaged.

When the time comes that we’ve shed all our ineffective cap hits (eg Armia, Anderson) and still need more — then yeah sure let’s see how much it’ll cost.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's unlikely without money coming back. Surely Arizona is on Brendan's no-trade list.

Would I trade a 1st if Gallagher went to a team that had an overpaid but good top 4 D to send us back who has less than $15M left on his contract? Very possibly but I have no idea if such an opportunity exists.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I like unprotected firsts.

Florida crashed and burn in playoffs last year. It's very likely they are good again this season, but not certain - I could see them fall out of playoffs and be lotto eligible.

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
No way. Not in a rebuild, we don’t need the cap yet and this draft is very good. A problem for another year.

Imagine if Florida is unlucky and decimated with injuries, you need to keep an unprotected pick.

Reactions: dcyhabs

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gallagher will be overpaid throughout his contract, but if he bounces back to a reasonable level he's overpaid to a level of maybe 2.5 million/year, which should be manageable.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
Just isn't the time. Specially after his worse season in a while. Maybe he has a bit better season and it lessens the cost of shipping him out. Even if it doesn't no need to rush we aren't in a win now situation.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I suppose the best strategy is to sign PK.

He and Gally argue and fight all season, poisoning the locker room and we finish dead last. Out of frustration, Gally quits playing hockey and takes up professional softball.

PK joins ESPN and is assigned to commentate on Gally’s games.

/s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad