Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Claim Noah Juulsen

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You asked this several times in the thread. I would ask his agent as the agent has more responsibility for this.
There were not a lot of NHL prospects playing in Europe. Montreal was lucky to have 2 with KK and Brook and Brook missed most of it because he had Covid. There are many, many factors.
The teams may not want to risk bringing someone in temporarily with covid.
The player may not want to go for the same reason.
The team has to be willing to sit one of their players for a brief period of time.
Countless other potential personal reasons that all people consider in such a decision. (family, health, an ill relative, a girlfriend with a wandering eye...:)

Why try to say it was a Montreal Canadiens management problem?

Management has a say in where their prospects play and develop.

I would have liked someone in the media to have asked Bergevin why Juulsen wasn't playing in Europe. The only response that gets him off the hook is: we tried to convince him it was important for him as a way to get back in game shape and earn a roster spot; but he had his reasons for not following our advice.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The kid came back for one or two games with Laval in March and was their best D.... When you have talent and skills, and you work hard at training, you don't lose them overnight.
2 games...
Carolina beat Toronto with the zamboni driver in their net one game. Means f*** all.

Reactions: Riddum and Vachon23

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Juulsen was just a way better option than Mete as #7 d-man.... As simple as that.

You can obviously tell. How many games did you see him play in the past two years and please do not answer more then 20 :). I like Juulsen, he might come back to us if he is cut from florida. But I hop for his sake that he sticks to the team and stays in the NHL

Reactions: Vachon23

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kulak and Edmundson better be worth it as I just don't see a team picking Kulak and paying him 2.2M after this season in a flat cap after he had a 7 pt season.

To me it should have been Mete over Kulak, but neither should be at RD. Waiving Kulak frees up 1.075M and easily solves the cap issue.

I think Juulsen will be a very solid bottom pairing D, he's no Tinrodi/Pateryn, he's a lot better then them. Fleury I like but he was just so damn terrible in Laval, though maybe his heart wasn't in it after being with the Habs for that long and then getting sent down (was f***ing stupid, should have been in Laval sooner just like KK but the Habs made another mistake there)

That said we'll see what happens as the panthers do have a lot of D now. Too bad we couldn't have worked out a trade for Borgstrom.

Also all this cap issues come down to paying Alzner almost 4M to sit at home on his couch trying to open pickle jars. Alzner is our 9th highest paid player this year in terms of cap hit, he's going to make over 1.2M more then Gallagher this year all while playing for the Habs on his xbox.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Mete does not look good at RD, Juulsen is healthy now so as long as he stays that way it he should be fine.

Clearly the NHL and AHL staff didnt think so, and I'm inclined to agree with them as well.

Not gonna throw away a guy who has been a NHL defenseman over a guy who wasn't really one when he last played meaningful time.

Reactions: Vachon23

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Kulak and Edmundson better be worth it as I just don't see a team picking Kulak and paying him 2.2M after this season in a flat cap after he had a 7 pt season.

To me it should have been Mete over Kulak, but neither should be at RD. Waiving Kulak frees up 1.075M and easily solves the cap issue.

I think Juulsen will be a very solid bottom pairing D, he's no Tinrodi/Pateryn, he's a lot better then them. Fleury I like but he was just so damn terrible in Laval, though maybe his heart wasn't in it after being with the Habs for that long and then getting sent down (was f***ing stupid, should have been in Laval sooner just like KK but the Habs made another mistake there)

That said we'll see what happens as the panthers do have a lot of D now. Too bad we couldn't have worked out a trade for Borgstrom.

Also all this cap issues come down to paying Alzner almost 4M to sit at home on his couch trying to open pickle jars. Alzner is our 9th highest paid player this year in terms of cap hit, he's going to make over 1.2M more then Gallagher this year all while playing for the Habs on his xbox.

Alzner the signing that keeps on giving.
Craig Rivet he ain’t. :laugh:

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I think, the Habs should have kept him on the roster instead of losing him for nothing. It's not like Xavier is any better. Brook and Fleury didn't really managed to crack the lineup last year either. During the season, if it didn't work out, then you explore several options.

His career derailed do to several injuries and it would have been nice to see him get another chance. Unfortunately, the Habs lose yet another D, they drafted, and he becomes yet another addition to the long list of Habs' failed prospects or youngsters that the Habs simply gave up on.

Several in recent years include the following: McCarron (first round pick, traded for a career AHLer), Tinordi (first round pick, traded for a goon on the decline), Beaulieu (first round pick, traded for a third), LeBlanc (first round pick, traded for a conditional fifth), Scherbak (first round pick, lost to waivers), de la Rose (second round pick, lost to waivers), Galchenyuk (first round pick, though through subsequent trades, the Habs acquired Anderson), Sergachev (first round pick, traded for Drouin). Subban (second round pick, traded for Weber), McDonaugh, (first round pick, traded for Gomez), Fischer (first round pick, released), Hudon (fifth round pick, signed in Europe) and off course the list goes on.

I really hope KK, Suzuki (although never drafted by the Habs), Caufield, Guhle and Romanov do become of something. As for Mete, Brook, Evans, Poehling and Fleury, the future looks bleak.
Meh, Poehling will take 3rd line center in 2 years or 3rd line left wing next year. Evans will be a quality 4th this year and for a long time. Give another 2 year and Fleury will be a pilar distributing checks on the 3rd pair. Poehling is the one where i have most doubts but if he takes it seriously he can be good though probably not top 6.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Clearly the NHL and AHL staff didnt think so, and I'm inclined to agree with them as well.

Not gonna throw away a guy who has been a NHL defenseman over a guy who wasn't really one when he last played meaningful time.

I’m no Mete fan and I’m also not a fan of playing D on their weak side. Bottom line for me is our R D is a lot weaker than our L D. I’m not saying Juulsen will pan out in Florida but I did like his game when he was healthy. I’ve really never liked Mete’s game healthy or not. I have to say the Asset Management was bungled regardless.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Wouldn’t it be something if Fla claiming Juulsen was a “wink-wink” deal between buddies....since Habs get 1st shot at Juulsen if Panthers waive him & can send him down to AHL...

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebs

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
too bad. kid has a ton of potential and had cracked the roster before that crazy night of injuries. i wish him well. if he can stay healthy, he's a legit no.4

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Mete does not look good at RD, Juulsen is healthy now so as long as he stays that way it he should be fine.
I think almost everyone hated Mete at RD. I'm wondering if ed'son's ability to play on the R. was a factor in singing him. If after 30 games Rom'v can steal some of Ed's shifts, Mete won't have to play RD. And if Mete is really bad, Rom'v can play RD.
Not saying I like this approach, but it might be the reason.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

That's the thing with Juulsen... he was never a bluechip prospect (maybe on draft day?) to begin with and then you throw in all those injuries and development time lost... he's gonna be 24 at the end of the year and the last time he played more than 60 games in a year was in juniors in 2015.

I don't like to regularly ice a guy like Kulak or Mete, but at least you know what you're getting

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The only reason he did so was because of our inability to have good enough d-men so we had to rush one because we had no choice. Incredibly enough, the top 4 d-man with considerable amount of minutes does not have a place in our regular lineup in what we call the best team we have in years.

For me, he didn't have those minutes because he was great. But because we had nothing else. Demonstrated by the likes of guys like Ouellet, Benn, Alzner, Morrow, Rielly, Schelmko, Jerabek, Davidson, Lernout, Folin, Scandella, Barberio, Redmond and Co that we had in our lineup regularly enough to know that most of them if not all of them didn't belong.

But it is a guess. I would guess that Juulsen brings an intangible notion that there's more to it than what we saw compared to what we already know Mete is all about and might not be able to give us more, while others d-men are coming like guys like Harris or Norlinder. That actually might not only show how offensive they could be but might actually be more than the flash that Mete shows.

19-20-21 year old 5'9 Mete, playing for Claude Julien, got ice time & minutes ahead of that long list of NHL vets...

I think it's a bit premature to say "we know what we have" with the 22 year old Mete.

We know what he's given us as a smallish young player that, as you point out, was rushed into action...

We can pretty much bank on the fact that several guys from his draft year that have barely touched the NHL yet will end up having solid NHL careers, that's how progression and development work out. No reason to believe that "what we've seen is all we'll ever get" in Mete's case, and if you ground the assessment against the context of smallish PMD, his track record thus far suggests a considerable ceiling awaits.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Another option would have been to sign Edmundson at 3.5M and keep Juulsen. We now have over 700k in capspace, so actually, when it comes to cap space signing Edmundson didn't prevent us from keeping Juulsen.

And, when it comes to playing time, we could have used the extra depth this year and made a decision for next year based on how each played this year - taking into account that Juulsen would be quite rusty when called upon.

Still better...

Keep the pick, Juulsen, not risk losing Perry to waivers and have a few million to play with as teams desperately try to deal with cap or internal budget constraints....

Edmundson adds nothing close to what we lost by trading for & signing him (not too mention there's a very reasonable chance we could have had him for cheaper & free by just letting him hit Ufa status).

Mete, Juulsen, Kulak, Fleury as depth filling out the bottom pairing is more or less = to Edmundson, Mete, Kulak, Fleury

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Still better...

Keep the pick, Juulsen, not risk losing Perry to waivers and have a few million to play with as teams desperately try to deal with cap or internal budget constraints....

Edmundson adds nothing close to what we lost by trading for & signing him (not too mention there's a very reasonable chance we could have had him for cheaper & free by just letting him hit Ufa status).

Mete, Juulsen, Kulak, Fleury as depth filling out the bottom pairing is more or less = to Edmundson, Mete, Kulak, Fleury

Yeah I'm not that familiar with Edmundson, as I wasn't familiar with Chiarot before last season. I've heard mixed things - mainly that Eddy isn't a top 4.

So I'm on wait and see for myself mode.

But I would have kept Juulsen as 8th D.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’m no Mete fan and I’m also not a fan of playing D on their weak side. Bottom line for me is our R D is a lot weaker than our L D. I’m not saying Juulsen will pan out in Florida but I did like his game when he was healthy. I’ve really never liked Mete’s game healthy or not. I have to say the Asset Management was bungled regardless.

We lost our what.. 5th RD on the depth chart? Weber Petry Romanov Fleury then Juulsen.

I dont think theres a lot of teams with 6 viable right shot D men, so I'm not too concerned.

Yeah Mete isnt great on the right side but Juulsen sucks on the left side and needs to play.

The real nonsense is that we had to waive Juulsen despite him being on IR for almost the entirety of his ELC

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Based on the scherbak theory... Just ignore these doom and gloom people for now. Odds are he will be on injured reserve again shortly

The Ron Hainsey, Francois Beauchemin, Sean Hill, Stephane Robbidas, and Francis Bouillon theories wish to counter argue those claims.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The Ron Hainsey, Francois Beauchemin, Sean Hill, Stephane Robbidas, and Francis Bouillon theories wish to counter argue those claims.
non where coming of a head injury.... sherbak can be argued had head issues hahaha... though you right, but keep in mind we talking of a player who played 1 game in 2 years

Reactions: 26Mats

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A thing we need to keep an eye on is if Juulsen can make Florida team and they decide to put him on the waivers again. We could claim him and put him in Laval where he should be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad