Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Players will come if the team is winning. Flint is also projected to do better then Guelph. While Flint could use some help on their back end, Lalonde will also get better exposure being on Flint, it’s a win win.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

Congrats on a great start. I really did feel this was and is going to be a good season for Flint. Getting your “Big Guy” back from the NHL is a key. Don’t panic if the cupboards get “stripped” to make a run for it. Selling off the next season or the following is a natural and needed response and you can build back up the draft picks as well as younger players pretty quick! Enjoy it for most teams the OHL is very cyclical so this is not new to your team.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Congrats on a great start. I really did feel this was and is going to be a good season for Flint. Getting your “Big Guy” back from the NHL is a key. Don’t panic if the cupboards get “stripped” to make a run for it. Selling off the next season or the following is a natural and needed response and you can build back up the draft picks as well as younger players pretty quick! Enjoy it for most teams the OHL is very cyclical so this is not new to your team.

Picks can certainly diminish and be replenished quickly. There’s a decent chance another player or 2-4 picks are moved for an OA.
But Flint should not feel a need to replenish for at least two seasons as they still have 6-2nds, 7-3rds, 5-4ths, 8-5ths over five drafts, condition on K.Pearson (OS), 3-3rds from 2019 draft, and 5-7 OA to keep/trade next season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Picks can certainly diminish and be replenished quickly. There’s a decent chance another player or 2-4 picks are moved for an OA.
But Flint should not feel a need to replenish for at least two seasons as they still have 6-2nds, 7-3rds, 5-4ths, 8-5ths over five drafts, condition on K.Pearson (OS), 3-3rds from 2019 draft, and 5-7 OA to keep/trade next season.
They're gonna to need at least one more big add up front this year. Let's say they go after an Akil Thomas or Arthur Kaliyev. They can't move Othmann, so there goes what? 4 of those 2nd rounders and probably a couple 3rds. Now they've got nothing (well, a little, not nearly enough) left to spend to replace Dellandrea, Durham and Busby next year. If they lose Koly too next year, they're done. It's basically a sell with a lot of really good pieces left. They're MOSTLY in this year and they'll have enough left to kind of MOSTLY be in next year. It's what Saginaw is doing. They weren't ready last year, didn't buy enough and got nothing to show for it. They're good this year but don't have enough left to buy the pieces to truly go all in and things don't look good to really accomplish anything this year. F that. I would have let this year ride, maybe spend some of those 3rd's and 5th's and a 2nd or two to touch up this roster. Get some playoff expierience and let Koly, McCourt, Bianconi, Deline, Harper, Keppen, Morgan, Wismer, Cavallin, Othmann, Kressler, Pierce, Vierling, Winterton (would have kept him and moved Holmes) and Oksentyuk all mature and develop this year. Next year they look good and have a ton to spend including a 16yo mid 1st round pick than you can trade. Go ALLLL in during the OHL's host season. The year after that, you've still got a few picks left, a bunch of tradeable pieces and you half sell off. Basically setting them up for a quick one year/two year rebuild that isn't too painful and they still make the playoffs both seasons. Well, that's gone now. They're going all in this year. I don't think they're ready and unless there's an OHL Championship banner or at least a Western Conf Championship banner being raised next year, I'll be right. So let's do it this year. Time to go add another big name forward, probably two. Be prepared to see Vierling moved. Maybe another kid or two. It could happen. The West and the O in general right now isn't crazy top heavy. This could work. It'll be A LOT of fun to watch and see. I just personally would have chosen a different plan and haven't really seen enough out of Dellandrea, Busby, Durham to say "Yes. THOSE are the guys to build a Championship around. We gotta go this year." I still believe in Cavallin. I still, at this point, believe he can challenge for the starter's roll, but man Popovich doesn't look like a kid who was along for the ride last year. He's looking like a top 2-3 goalie in the league who is ready to CARRY a team to the promised land.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They're gonna to need at least one more big add up front this year. Let's say they go after an Akil Thomas or Arthur Kaliyev. They can't move Othmann, so there goes what? 4 of those 2nd rounders and probably a couple 3rds. Now they've got nothing (well, a little, not nearly enough) left to spend to replace Dellandrea, Durham and Busby next year. If they lose Koly too next year, they're done. It's basically a sell with a lot of really good pieces left. They're MOSTLY in this year and they'll have enough left to kind of MOSTLY be in next year. It's what Saginaw is doing. They weren't ready last year, didn't buy enough and got nothing to show for it. They're good this year but don't have enough left to buy the pieces to truly go all in and things don't look good to really accomplish anything this year. F that. I would have let this year ride, maybe spend some of those 3rd's and 5th's and a 2nd or two to touch up this roster. Get some playoff expierience and let Koly, McCourt, Bianconi, Deline, Harper, Keppen, Morgan, Wismer, Cavallin, Othmann, Kressler, Pierce, Vierling, Winterton (would have kept him and moved Holmes) and Oksentyuk all mature and develop this year. Next year they look good and have a ton to spend including a 16yo mid 1st round pick than you can trade. Go ALLLL in during the OHL's host season. The year after that, you've still got a few picks left, a bunch of tradeable pieces and you half sell off. Basically setting them up for a quick one year/two year rebuild that isn't too painful and they still make the playoffs both seasons. Well, that's gone now. They're going all in this year. I don't think they're ready and unless there's an OHL Championship banner or at least a Western Conf Championship banner being raised next year, I'll be right. So let's do it this year. Time to go add another big name forward, probably two. Be prepared to see Vierling moved. Maybe another kid or two. It could happen. The West and the O in general right now isn't crazy top heavy. This could work. It'll be A LOT of fun to watch and see. I just personally would have chosen a different plan and haven't really seen enough out of Dellandrea, Busby, Durham to say "Yes. THOSE are the guys to build a Championship around. We gotta go this year." I still believe in Cavallin. I still, at this point, believe he can challenge for the starter's roll, but man Popovich doesn't look like a kid who was along for the ride last year. He's looking like a top 2-3 goalie in the league who is ready to CARRY a team to the promised land.

Idk. I think it might be get an OA F and see where that takes you. Unless, the firebirds can turn Holmes, Wismer, Bangs, Phibbs into picks to add to a Deline/Pierce package. I really doubt Vierling & Othmann are considered expendable for any rental.
I thought using significant assets to acquire a surplus of picks, McCourt, Roberts, Koly, Morgan, Popovich, & Lalonde was all about taking a run this year and next.
This (line up in some form) looks to me a good deep roster:
OA-Dellandrea-Durham
Keppen-Morgan-Oksentyuk
Vierling-Roberts-Othmann
Holmes-Kressler-Wismer
Pierce
Not a lot of teams can boast the depth to have 19 yr old 2nd round picks on the 4th line.
Kolyachonok-Busby
McCourt-Lalonde
Gretz-Harper
Deline
Bangs
That’s a nice group of defense, imo.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Idk. I think it might be get an OA F and see where that takes you. Unless, the firebirds can turn Holmes, Wismer, Bangs, Phibbs into picks to add to a Deline/Pierce package. I really doubt Vierling & Othmann are considered expendable for any rental.
I thought using significant assets to acquire a surplus of picks, McCourt, Roberts, Koly, Morgan, Popovich, & Lalonde was all about taking a run this year and next.
This (line up in some form) looks to me a good deep roster:
OA-Dellandrea-Durham
Keppen-Morgan-Oksentyuk
Vierling-Roberts-Othmann
Holmes-Kressler-Wismer
Pierce
Not a lot of teams can boast the depth to have 19 yr old 2nd round picks on the 4th line.
Kolyachonok-Busby
McCourt-Lalonde
Gretz-Harper
Deline
Bangs
That’s a nice group of defense, imo.
You may very well be right and we all hope you are. No matter what, this is going to be fun to watch and will be the best Firebird season yet. After seeing how loaded up Guelph and Windsor have been recently, I'm slightly concerned it won't be enough.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You may very well be right and we all hope you are. No matter what, this is going to be fun to watch and will be the best Firebird season yet. After seeing how loaded up Guelph and Windsor have been recently, I'm slightly concerned it won't be enough.

I can understand the concern about not fully going all-in and then disappointment falling short at the conference or league final like Ottawa and SSM. Those teams were built for multiple tries though, like Flint, they had long rebuilds. Guelph and Windsor bought what they could to have one successful run, no doubt. But they were fully committed pre-season, and much less veteran pre-deadline than the firebirds. Guelph for example, traded away 1st, 2nd, 3-3rd 17 olds to build a contender in season. Job well done, but risky nearly being eliminated round 1. Windsor went all-in as hosts, were eliminated round 1 of the playoffs I believe.
Still about three months to see what the team has in comparison to others.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The West is all bunched up with some early season very good clubs. Not so sure we should jump all in having played all of 7 games and break-up what we have going right now.. I still think the Soo and Saginaw are the cream of the crop in our division, but we shall see.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Oksentyuk & Othmann have both played some RW this year?, but played mostly LW previously. Durham played some LW last season with Dellandrea & Roberts early on?
Lodinia might be a good fit.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Lalonde had only played in one game of six this season with Guelph, and didn't play in this Saturday with Flint. Is he injured, or is there another reason that he's not playing???

Fntfirebirdfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lalonde had only played in one game of six this season with Guelph, and didn't play in this Saturday with Flint. Is he injured, or is there another reason that he's not playing???
He was sick with mono. And he also was coming to town after Thanksgiving. I'll find the article I read and post it

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Mono can sap your strength for months. How long has it been diagnosed and where is he in his recovery. Depending where he is at in his recovery it could even be dangerous for him to play. I sure hope this trade is conditional on him passing a physical.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Mono can sap your strength for months. How long has it been diagnosed and where is he in his recovery. Depending where he is at in his recovery it could even be dangerous for him to play. I sure hope this trade is conditional on him passing a physical.
My nephew had mono and was sidelined from sports for 4 months. There is a risk of enlarged spleen which is very dangerous especially in contact sports.
I too hope this trade was conditional.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
My nephew had mono and was sidelined from sports for 4 months. There is a risk of enlarged spleen which is very dangerous especially in contact sports.
I too hope this trade was conditional.
exactly what i was talking about.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
He was sick with mono. And he also was coming to town after Thanksgiving. I'll find the article I read and post it
I thought I saw him at the game on Saturday. Not in uniform but dressed up with someone who we took to be his dad. Looked like that with ages. Just a guess but based on Biaconi playing with Guelph in Erie PA Saturday night, I would guess that he was in Flint.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mono is quite common among OHL players. It is generally caught early and treated. Average recovery seems 3-4 weeks, though I know of at least one instance where a player was out about 3 weeks, returned, then out again for another 2-3 weeks

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Mono is quite common among OHL players. It is generally caught early and treated. Average recovery seems 3-4 weeks, though I know of at least one instance where a player was out about 3 weeks, returned, then out again for another 2-3 weeks
I hope that's all it is.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I hope that's all it is.

Should be rough time table. It takes 2 weeks to recover plus time to recover lost stamina, strength, weight ... caught early, a 19 yr old boy in excellent physical condition with OHL doctors monitoring meals should recover 3-4 weeks

Reactions: Toldyaso

Fntfirebirdfan

Dec 16, 2018
I thought I saw him at the game on Saturday. Not in uniform but dressed up with someone who we took to be his dad. Looked like that with ages. Just a guess but based on Biaconi playing with Guelph in Erie PA Saturday night, I would guess that he was in Flint.
He definitely wasnt in Flint, wont be in town till tomorrow.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
What does that give us now 7 1st rounders including 3 #2s now. am I missing anyone?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Glad he plans on playing this week. If our doctors say he's healthy, lace him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad