Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It was a clear cross-check to the face. 5 games is steep but that's what they gave Serron Noel for the same thing, so they've backed themselves into a corner and basically have to give 5 games for a cross-checking to the face major from here on out

No problem with that. If the league is going to prevent guys from defending themselves then they're going to need to be more proactive about disciplining the cheap stick stuff. I've seen guys suspended for stuff I'd prefer much more than having my face cross-checked.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Maybe this suspension will wake Holmes up and he will start contributing more. However, I am not holding my breathe.

Reactions: domi55us

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
No problem with that. If the league is going to prevent guys from defending themselves then they're going to need to be more proactive about disciplining the cheap stick stuff. I've seen guys suspended for stuff I'd prefer much more than having my face cross-checked.

Good points. Will force guys to be more cognizant of their sticks

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Did you guys see all the great scoring chances Oksentyuk had in that game. Must have been at least 4 break aways or almost break aways. This kid is so much fun to watch. Well maybe not so much for the other team. Finally have some import players that can play.

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Did you guys see all the great scoring chances Oksentyuk had in that game. Must have been at least 4 break aways or almost break aways. This kid is so much fun to watch. Well maybe not so much for the other team. Finally have some import players that can play.
He is crazy fun to watch at either end of the ice.

Reactions: MJ5 and Gensdef

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Different Flint team than we faced in the opener?
I hate to frame it quite that way, but yeah, they have looked much better. I think they'll have a better performance in the next meeting. The return of Dellandrea and Gretz has helped spread the depth out and Popovich has looked better since opening night too.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Thoughts on the game from anyone who attended?
The Attack may have got a gift in the form of BUG Cavallin.

But any time you go 1 for 10 on the PP (Firebirds) do you really deserve to win ?

Attack 2 for 3 PP and a shorty.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Thoughts on the game from anyone who attended?

Firebirds played a decent road game tonight versus OS where Flint came up short was there special teams.

1/10 on the PP would be a concern for the Firebirds as they had there chances and for stretches outplayed OS. Once the game got into the later stages the unravelling of the Firebirds was discipline and although they may not have taken a lot of PIMs OS made them pay on the scoreboard when they did.

Reactions: three dog night

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
1st goal. Cross ice to an unguarded winger streaking towards the net barely a minute in. 2nd goal. Tipped on a shot from the point by a free stick right in front of Cavallin. 3rd goal. What was McCourt even thinking? Leaving Morgan to get thoroughly undressed covering for Dellandrea. I don't really care for Dellandrea or Vierling being on the point for the PP. With Busby, Kolyachonok, McCourt & Co on D, I don't really see the need and it takes their most dynamic puck distributor or their "best" forward away from the forward group on the PP. 4th goal. OS Forward gets a free shot at the puck while standing in the paint and nearly running Luke over. I thought that one could have been called either way. It was close to goalie interference. 5th goal. That one's on Cavallin. 6th goal. It was a pretty slick sequence by the Attack but it was cross ice to an open winger who taps it BACK across to an open Sergey Popov standing just outside the crease all alone for an easy tap in. Dominik Hasek wouldn't have made the save. 7th goal. Cross ice so an open Aidan Dudas can take a blast. That one could have been stopped but if you're needing your goalie to make the save on a free Aidan Dudas from 10 feet out you screwed up somewhere. They looked like the 2018-19 Firebirds last night. Cavallin is just coming back from injury and two games in a row they've just let him get back doored and left to face 2 on 0's, Breakaways, 2 on 1's and 3 on 1's repeatedly. 4-2 is a decent enough start but they're gonna need to tighten up a lot. Peterborough, Kitchener, Sudbury and the Soo are coming up next.

Reactions: Skipper and MJ5

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I happen to think your team is as good as any and better than most.
It's early days, you've got some top end talent, great coaching and the cloud seems to be floating away that follows the team .

I expect big things from Flint .
And I don't think the Attack will get another game like that this season , when Flint comes calling .

Reactions: Toldyaso

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
...But my insider vape signals, from the 3rd generational concession worker, at the practice rink of the local midget club in Chatham told me they were buying the Firebirds and making them a minor league affiliate of the OHL.

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Wow seems like forever since we had a game. Ready for saturdays game. Think the GM strike is going to hurt our crowds. Read 15,000 either on strike or laid off from non GM supplier plants in area. Not good.

Last edited:

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Wow seems like forever since we had a game. Ready for saturdays game. Think the GM strike is going to hurt our crowds. Read 15,000 either on strike or laid off from non GM supplier plants in area. Not good.

STOP making excuses about attendance, whether it be the Lions, UM, MSU, Red Wings, Pistons, High School or UAW strike.

I guarantee you that Saginaw will outdraw Flint Saturday night......

BREAKING: Spirit welcome UAW workers Saturday complements of Garber Automotive Group - Saginaw Spirit

Reactions: TcNorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad