Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Where did it happen?

I never saw anything crazy, and like Gensdef said no one ever went down.

Was it legit? Match penalty is 2 games minimum.
There was a Sting player down in the corner a bit earlier in the play. Didn't see anything other than that. Even when taking an effing match penalty Holmes still isn't doing anything that's noticeable. They need to clean up the defensive breakdowns in all 3 zones. They also seem to try and rely on skill too much and be too creative after grabbing a lead. Oddly enough, the most "skilled" player on the ice is also the one who's motor is going 100% for 100% of the time. I forgot to mention, I was glad to see Oksentyuk's hustle to break up the 2-0 Saturday night, I was even happier to hear the crowd cheer as loud they did for the goals Flint scored. Take note boys. That stuff will get you big cheers in this city and it'll win you fans in every scouting department in every league. There's work to do but it's a pretty damn good start. Oh....and scouts....there must have been like 15 in the house tonight. Somebody must be on the NHL radar bigtime because there were like 6 other games in the O today they could have went to.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Where was everyone today? Almost 4,000 last night and only 1,300 today. Come on folks we need to support.
The NFL still rules. With the Detroit Lions playing much better, Sunday attendance will continue to be an issue. Luckily, Flint has only 2 more Sunday games and one of them is during the holidays (December 29th) which could be a good crowd.

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The NFL still rules. With the Detroit Lions playing much better, Sunday attendance will continue to be an issue. Luckily, Flint has only 2 more Sunday games and one of them is during the holidays (December 29th) which could be a good crowd.

Staying home to watch a regular season game on TV instead of a live game in your own backyard is a difficult concept to understand for Canadian fans. The only thing that compares here is Olympic hockey and the league actively avoids scheduling games on those days. It appears that the Firebirds try to do the same for Sundays.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Staying home to watch a regular season game on TV instead of a live game in your own backyard is a difficult concept to understand for Canadian fans. The only thing that compares here is Olympic hockey and the league actively avoids scheduling games on those days. It appears that the Firebirds try to do the same for Sundays.

Football is king.

Friday nights are light due to high school football.
Saturdays are light if MSU or Michigan are playing later in the day 330 or later usually has a bigger impact.
Sundays are light when the Lions are on.

Attendance has always taken a bit of a bump up after football season.

Lions play Green Bay that Sunday at 1pm. If they were smart they would have scheduled it at 5, and hope you get a little late arriving crowd, or they are praying for the NFL to flex it to like Sunday night if its meaningful.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Friday Night games in the fall can be an issue with some teams getting several thousand or more for a high school football game and over 20 high school teams in the county.. Saturday’s games in the fall can also be a challenge if Michigan Football is being played with 115;000 in attendance with massive tv ratings or if Michigan State is playing with 80,000 in attendance and massive tv ratings.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
There's no link to OHL standings on the Firebirds' webpage. Not sure why, but some teams have it and some don't. Seems the teams can pick and choose the links they want to provide on the "master" webpage model used by the CHL. Would be a nice feature to have. Would be even nicer if they could embed the standings on the homepage.

Reactions: domi55us

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
There's no link to OHL standings on the Firebirds' webpage. Not sure why, but some teams have it and some don't. Seems the teams can pick and choose the links they want to provide on the "master" webpage model used by the CHL. Would be a nice feature to have. Would be even nicer if they could embed the standings on the homepage.
They might do that this year. I can imagine why they haven't in the past two years.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So, towards the end of last year the Keppen-Morgan-Wismer line outperformed the Dellandrea-Durham line a bit and was arguably the team's top line. Right? They're still playing pretty good with Wismer currently playing part time in that spot. Othmann looks like he's gonna be able to handle playing with Dellandrea and Durham and they've been getting a ton of chances. Maybe not converting a ton but you can see it coming. That said, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what Vierling and Oksentyuk can do with Roberts as they get adjusted to each other this year. Roberts looks like he's back to 100% and I think those 3 create a ton of OHL highlight clips this year. Those are 3 dynamic lines and Phibbs-Pierce-Kressler have looked good too. Wellwood is just throwing 16yo Kressler out there to start PK's and he's getting the job done? Right now I'm just looking at him like Flint's other quality 1st round pick. He's been that good so far.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
So, towards the end of last year the Keppen-Morgan-Wismer line outperformed the Dellandrea-Durham line a bit and was arguably the team's top line. Right? They're still playing pretty good with Wismer currently playing part time in that spot. Othmann looks like he's gonna be able to handle playing with Dellandrea and Durham and they've been getting a ton of chances. Maybe not converting a ton but you can see it coming. That said, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what Vierling and Oksentyuk can do with Roberts as they get adjusted to each other this year. Roberts looks like he's back to 100% and I think those 3 create a ton of OHL highlight clips this year. Those are 3 dynamic lines and Phibbs-Pierce-Kressler have looked good too. Wellwood is just throwing 16yo Kressler out there to start PK's and he's getting the job done? Right now I'm just looking at him like Flint's other quality 1st round pick. He's been that good so far.
Got to agree with you about the lines. I really like the looks of the Vierling, Oksentyuk andRoberts. Think that line has a chance to be awesome. We are much more balanced across the 4 lines than before. If we tighen up the team defense its going to be a fun year.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Any Firebirds fans who come up can PM me were very welcoming to visiting fans.
I might. Not sure just yet if I can afford spending that much free time this weekend on hockey/vacationing. I was up there about 6-7 weeks ago and planned on returning this weekend but responsibility is getting in the way. I've stated it on this forum before, Owen Sound is currently my favorite city/area/rink to visit in the O. They truly are some of the nicest fans and if you've got an extra bit of time to do some sightseeing, the region offers sights that'll give any part of Michigan a decent run for it's money. It's nice to be able to book a room that's like a 500 ft walk to the arena too if you can still get in.

Last edited:

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
There was a Sting player down in the corner a bit earlier in the play. Didn't see anything other than that. Even when taking an effing match penalty Holmes still isn't doing anything that's noticeable. They need to clean up the defensive breakdowns in all 3 zones. They also seem to try and rely on skill too much and be too creative after grabbing a lead. Oddly enough, the most "skilled" player on the ice is also the one who's motor is going 100% for 100% of the time. I forgot to mention, I was glad to see Oksentyuk's hustle to break up the 2-0 Saturday night, I was even happier to hear the crowd cheer as loud they did for the goals Flint scored. Take note boys. That stuff will get you big cheers in this city and it'll win you fans in every scouting department in every league. There's work to do but it's a pretty damn good start. Oh....and scouts....there must have been like 15 in the house tonight. Somebody must be on the NHL radar bigtime because there were like 6 other games in the O today they could have went to.

League has confirmed 5 games for Hunter.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
League has confirmed 5 games for Hunter.

I was wondering on this. I thought the match penalties were minimum 2 games. Surprised it took this long to get it announced.

For the first time maybe ever we can sit here and say "Next Man Up!".

Maybe Wismer back with Morgan and Keppen to see if they can capture that magic from last year again or Kressler are the 2 I'd really like to see on that line.

Skipper

Jun 2, 2019
I was surprised Wellwood had taken Wismer off that line after that line being so successful last year with the 3 of them together.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I was surprised Wellwood had taken Wismer off that line after that line being so successful last year with the 3 of them together.
He has a lot of new pieces to play with this year. I think he is doing a little experimenting with combinations to see how to best use those new pieces.

Reactions: Skipper

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Me too. The trio was together for most of the game in the Soo if I recall correctly. Not sure I'd give up on the 3 of them together just yet but maybe there was a message Wellwood was trying to get across or some infraction by Wismer. I was probably one of the biggest critics of Wismer on these boards but once he was on that line he shut my mouth. Barring reunification, I like the idea of giving Kressler those minutes. In departed depth news, Jacob Winterton has been looking awfully good in Oshawa so far.

Skipper

Jun 2, 2019
In departed depth news said:
Yes, I'm happy for Winterton. As they say, when one door closes another one opens. Oshawa is definetly a much better fit for him. Players sometimes need to find their own place on a team to really soar, look at Morgan for example. And as we all know coaches see different things in each player. What one coach may not see there is always another coach out there that will. Guelph will be better for Uba as well!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Where did it happen?

I never saw anything crazy, and like Gensdef said no one ever went down.

Was it legit? Match penalty is 2 games minimum.

It was a clear cross-check to the face. 5 games is steep but that's what they gave Serron Noel for the same thing, so they've backed themselves into a corner and basically have to give 5 games for a cross-checking to the face major from here on out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad