Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Just for fun...Former Flint Firebirds no longer in OHL with Junior eligibility remaining...

Nikita Alexandrov '99.....Russian Pros (KHL).......................................1 gp, 0-0-0 pts, 0 pim
C.J. Clarke '99.................Didn't make SSM (OHL) out of camp as an OA
Samuel Duchesne '99......Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (Captain)...8 gp, 2-10-12 pts, 8 pim
Kyle Harris '01.................???
Kyle Keyser '99................Providence Bruins (AHL)
Ryan Littlejohn '00.........Caledonia Corvairs (GOJHL).........................8 gp, 3-6-9 pts, 19 pim
Zach Pilon '00.................Caledonia Corvairs (GOJHL).........................3 gp, 0-2-2 pts, 6 pim
Michal Steinocher '99.....Czech Pros (Czech 2, Czech 3)........................3 gp, 0-0-0 pts, 0 pim
So, I was a bit of a supporter of keeping Duchesne, Littlejohn and Pilon around. Looks like I was wrong on Littlejohn and Pilon but based on the style we know he plays, that Captaincy and those numbers, I still think Duchesne should have been kept. I know they could have used him last year and I think they could a Sam Duchesne type D on the backend right now although I think if he can return and stay healthy, Marcus Gretz will do the job better. Nikita Alexandrov in the KHL? Really. I didn't think he was much better than Vladimir Putin, surprised he's in that league.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Actually I am more of U of M fan than MSU. Ill root for any Michigan based team. Have no skin in the big 2 colleges. Been on U of M campus more times as I reside 30 min or so from it. I have many friends and co workers who are wal mart wolverines so its more fun to troll them.
It’s just that I have never ever seen someone who roots for Michigan refer to their fans as wal mart wolverines.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
It’s because I don’t get all hyped up on them like most. Want to see them great again as much as the next but don’t think harbaugh is the guy anymore for that job.

But any news on if Flint, might have any interest in Merkely? If the cost is right, why not make a splash and say you’re serious about winning by taking a gamble on this high end talent? I’m sure someone’s email is lighting up right now with info.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
It’s because I don’t get all hyped up on them like most. Want to see them great again as much as the next but don’t think harbaugh is the guy anymore for that job.

But any news on if Flint, might have any interest in Merkely? If the cost is right, why not make a splash and say you’re serious about winning by taking a gamble on this high end talent? I’m sure someone’s email is lighting up right now with info.

Well Merkely seems to have earned a reputation for being a toxic element on every team he's been on. I think that is the last thing this team needs. Seems like someone would have already jumped at acquiring that high end talent if that were not the actual case.

Reactions: Gensdef

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Could Flint even take on Merkley’s gold education package if they wanted? Is it 7 that teams are allowed? Othmann, Vierling, Keppen, Morgan, Dellandrea, Roberts, (Busby?)

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Could Flint even take on Merkley’s gold education package if they wanted? Is it 7 that teams are allowed? Othmann, Vierling, Keppen, Morgan, Dellandrea, Roberts, (Busby?)

Pretty sure that Merkley has signed a NHL, which eliminates the gold package.
If Dellandrea is signed is gold package is gone too.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Thanks Legend. I wouldn't be interested in Merkley anyway. No need to upset what is supposedly a tight but possibly fragile locker room. Not at the cost. People are throwing around things like "a 4th and a mediocre OA" and I don't think he comes that cheap. I thought all the Merkley bashing was overblown but when TWO Championship contending teams are willing to dump an offensive star D.....that says a LOT. I first started to have my doubts in his 2nd or 3rd game in Flint. A forward grabbed the puck in the neutral zone at the far boards and cut towards the net. Merkley was neck and neck with him at the near boards (can't remember who the Firebird F was) and Merkley just went into glide mode giving him a breakaway. Wasn't even there to cover a rebound. As dynamic as he can be, I've also seen the effort Level get dialed way back too often.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Yeah right, forgot about signing bonus $.
I think Merkley is not worth the risk for Flint, but he’s not an OA or mediocre. Any team willing to throw away a few decent assets could end up changing the balance of power with that type of talent

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
The Petes owe Guelph three high draft picks (2nd, 3rd & 5th, if I remember correctly) if Merkley plays in the OHL this year, regardless of whether that's for the Petes or another team, so I'd imagine that the Petes want any package offered for him to include at least that much, as that is basically the cost for the Petes to walk away "even" on him.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
The Petes owe Guelph three high draft picks (2nd, 3rd & 5th, if I remember correctly) if Merkley plays in the OHL this year, regardless of whether that's for the Petes or another team, so I'd imagine that the Petes want any package offered for him to include at least that much, as that is basically the cost for the Petes to walk away "even" on him.

I said this in the Saginaw thread. The picks are likely going to have to be paid regardless by Petersbourgh unless the conditions are solely about playing for them this season. The rumored condition is that they are paid upon him playing in the O. So when San Jose sends him back they have to literally take what they can get (remember other GMs are bargaining from a position of strength here) or hold the kid hostage and not let him play while holding out for a better deal. The 2nd option is nuclear and will put a bigger black eye on a team with recruiting issues.

As for price I suggested Webb and a 4th as what I would be willing to pay. I think realistically he nets a 2nd and a warm body. If he didnt have the red flags hed bring in a 16 year old 1st rounder potentially so the cost is already pennies on a dollar.

Skipper

Jun 2, 2019
According to Dallas Stars twitter, Dellandrea has been returned to Flint it says.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
A little bit quicker than I thought. Now, if Flint wants to contend for the West Division title they'll get major help if Arizona keeps Hayton and the Islanders send Wilde to the AHL. Right now, it looks like Prosvetov will be playing pro. A quick return of Marcus Gretz will help also.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Not looking good

Attachments

• sungame.JPG
    sungame.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Really ready for a home game at the Dort. Hope the place is really buzzing for the boys. Go Birds!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad