Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
well Oksentyuk is in the lineup tonight. :thumbu:
Awesome. That’s really good news. I remember the Bryan Berard injury very well and I was a bit concerned. That’s not how I wanted to see his season or career end. Things sound promising on Keppen too so now it’s just Cavallin? He in the lineup tonight?

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I should also add a big Congratulations to Popovich and the Firebirds on their first shutout of the season last night. He’s had a few games where he made more spectacular saves and deserved the SO, but I’m sure he’ll take that one too.

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
No Cavallin, no Keppen tonight.
ERVVVKEU0AEf-T1

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Kitchener is next in this one game at a time attitude. No looking ahead. Way to go Firebirds. Incredible run boys!

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Was not a big fan of Barclay being our GM, but have to admit he did make some good moves this season.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
He's made a few before this year as well. Roberts, McCourt, Morgan. What we are seeing is the culmination of moves made over the past several years. I don't know that I would call Branch an evil genius or anything but it would appear he's been working toward this place for a while.

Reactions: Gensdef

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He's made a few before this year as well. Roberts, McCourt, Morgan. What we are seeing is the culmination of moves made over the past several years. I don't know that I would call Branch an evil genius or anything but it would appear he's been working toward this place for a while.

He’s obviously tough skinned. Branch made no excuses while enduring a beating to his ego for patiently finishing a rebuild started by others. If there was one outstanding transaction, it is the willingness to take on Rowe’s gold package to acquire Koly and ultimately Oksentyuk.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Just imagine how Rolf feels....NO Hakon made a BIG difference.
This team would still be really good even with Hakon getting a regular shift. If you wanna point fingers, there’s all the injuries, Ouhlahen, youth.... to try and say that the improvement is because of Hakon being gone is petty and childish. I’m sure Rolf doesn’t read or care about this thread and is completely fine with Hakon having what appears to be a decent start to his pro career in Norway.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
He’s obviously tough skinned. Branch made no excuses while enduring a beating to his ego for patiently finishing a rebuild started by others. If there was one outstanding transaction, it is the willingness to take on Rowe’s gold package to acquire Koly and ultimately Oksentyuk.

Agree 100%.

Getting Koly changed this franchise. I know on paper the package they gave up for Rowe just looks awful, especially when they moved him later for like a 12th rounder.

Koly's recruiting to get Oksentyuk here this year changed a lot of peoples outlook on this season.

The moves for Popovich and Lalonde, the dead line deal for Tucker and Piercy, both have been very good.

Yule 3G 4A in 15 games as a 4th liner? YES PLEASE! He's giving some very valuable PK minutes as well. For an 8th rounder?

Remember all the talk about how bad the power play was? It's up to 14th now. #2 power play on the road in the OHL.

During the 15 game streak PP is operating at 32%, PK at 86%.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Glad to see Gretz get his 2nd last night. It’s been a tough road for him over the last couple years. Big game tonight and I’m really looking forward to it. This one isn’t just another one of 68. I took a look at Peyton Grainer’s number and they are ridiculous.....I think it was .943 save % and 1.77GAA but it’s only over 6 games so not exactly a great sample size. Looks like he’s the BUG there but a pretty good one apparently.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
credit to Flint for turning it around, but thank London, Guelph and Hamilton for the help it being constant trading partners. Joe Stefan is the one heavily involved in the deals, so he should take most of the credit.

Reactions: TcNorth

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
credit to Flint for turning it around, but thank London, Guelph and Hamilton for the help it being constant trading partners. Joe Stefan is the one heavily involved in the deals, so he should take most of the credit.
Well I don’t doubt Stefan is heavily involved and his scouting and assessments are a major part of this team’s success along with Wellwood but every team has trading partners and makes trades and has key components of their playoffs runs arrive from other teams. The Windsor-Cody Morgan deal was huge for this team’s turnaround and the Barrie-Tucker/Piercey deal has been integral to the team’s current streak. That’s just how it works in this league or any other.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

You can’t possibly be implying that Stephan did deals with Burnett who groomed B.Branch in OSH, Bel/Ham for nearly 15 years?
Your post is plagiarism of a cub post

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
This team would still be really good even with Hakon getting a regular shift. If you wanna point fingers, there’s all the injuries, Ouhlahen, youth.... to try and say that the improvement is because of Hakon being gone is petty and childish. I’m sure Rolf doesn’t read or care about this thread and is completely fine with Hakon having what appears to be a decent start to his pro career in Norway.

Why was Hakon here for four years? Your smart enough Savard to know what was going on. All those trades that Flint made during the time Hakon was here. Why not Hakon? You telling me that the organization could not have released Hakon and found another defenseman that would have been more of an asset than what Hakon was to the club? What did Hakon give the fans of Flint during his time here? One playoff win.

Rolf DOES care, what Rolf wants is to own a team that his son, Hakon can play on. Let's see how this turns out. After the years that Flint fans went thru they certainly do not deserve to have Rolf with sole control of the franchise to once again become the laughing stock of the hockey world and the OHL is well aware of that and I hope will not allow that to happen.

Get Rolf completely out of the picture, which is going to be difficult with building ownership and THEN you will have heard the last of me talking about Rolf Nilsen.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Why was Hakon here for four years? Your smart enough Savard to know what was going on. All those trades that Flint made during the time Hakon was here. Why not Hakon? You telling me that the organization could not have released Hakon and found another defenseman that would have been more of an asset than what Hakon was to the club? What did Hakon give the fans of Flint during his time here? One playoff win.

Rolf DOES care, what Rolf wants is to own a team that his son, Hakon can play on. Let's see how this turns out. After the years that Flint fans went thru they certainly do not deserve to have Rolf with sole control of the franchise to once again become the laughing stock of the hockey world and the OHL is well aware of that and I hope will not allow that to happen.

Get Rolf completely out of the picture, which is going to be difficult with building ownership and THEN you will have heard the last of me talking about Rolf Nilsen.
They’re in a 15 game win streak. I couldn’t give a F less what happened last year or the year before. How do you think they landed all those draft picks and Brennan Othmann and Braeden Kressler? What? Are you worried Rolf is gonna bring back a 22yo Hakon to play in the O? He was one of 20+ players that were here during the streak. Dellandrea, Busby, Keppen etc have only brought the club 1 playoff win too. I’m focused on now and the rest of this season. Be thankful you’re not watching Derian Hatcher owned Sarnia or the end of Sudbury’s 4 year rebuild.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
They’re in a 15 game win streak. I couldn’t give a F less what happened last year or the year before. How do you think they landed all those draft picks and Brennan Othmann and Braeden Kressler? What? Are you worried Rolf is gonna bring back a 22yo Hakon to play in the O? He was one of 20+ players that were here during the streak. Dellandrea, Busby, Keppen etc have only brought the club 1 playoff win too. I’m focused on now and the rest of this season. Be thankful you’re not watching Derian Hatcher owned Sarnia or the end of Sudbury’s 4 year rebuild.
like i have said before what is past is past. Not going to worry about the future. If there is hockey in the future great if not i will do something else. I am though sure as heck going to enjoy the great team we have in the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad