Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Firebirds PK on 380 PIM
Thru 10/30 the road pk was 10/20 = 56.5%
from Nov 1st to Jan 19 PK was 7/40 = 82.5%

Unless I'm seriously misreading it the Firebirds in fact do not have a problem with their road penalty kill at this time. Since Nov 1st their road PK would rank number 2 in the league. You may dismiss the fact that they are the least penalized team in the OHL but when you PP is the worst having a strong PK and giving up very few PP opportunities helps to make up for some of those lost PK goals. For example lets take a quick look at the most penalized team and see how thats working out for them.

Barrie Colts on 612 PIM
Thru 10/30 road PK was 8/39 79.4%
From Nov 1st to Jan 19 road pk was 15/70 78.5%

Thats 23 goals allowed because of penalties 6 more than Flint has allowed. It also is then entire differential between Barrie and Flints overall goals allowed. More telling however is Barries deficit in goals scored vs Flint of 33 goals. Think if they were't spending so much time killing penalties they might have scored a few more goals?

Point is there is no problem now with the PK on the road hasn't been for 3 months and being the least penalized team has clearly put W's in the win column for them. Just stop the disinformation please it is getting old.

Direct from the OHL.....

Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

You are seriously misreading the information that you have. Flint's Road PK is nowhere near #2 as you stated in your post. It currently ranks 19th.

Flint performance on road, although respective at 9-9-0-1 (good for 19 points/.500) is nowhere near the top four teams road records, Kitchener (11-6-2-2 good for 26 points/.619), London (13-7-0-1 good for 27 points/.658), Saginaw (11-6-2-0 good for 24 points/.632) and Windsor (12-6-2-0 good for 26 points/.650).

When it really comes down to it Flints performance on the road (including the PK) is what is really keeping them from being in the top four teams of the OHL Western Conference.

Reactions: TcNorth

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
What happened before the trade deadline doesn’t matter. Flint’s roster isn’t even close to what it was in December. Neither are many other team’s. Niagara and Barrie were decent squads in Oct-Dec. Theyre not now. So, throw away all that season long stats. The house just got a remodel, some repairs and a new addition. The market value has drastically changed.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Direct from the OHL.....

You are seriously misreading the information that you have. Flint's Road PK is nowhere near #2 as you stated in your post. It currently ranks 19th.

Flint performance on road, although respective at 9-9-0-1 (good for 19 points/.500) is nowhere near the top four teams road records, Kitchener (11-6-2-2 good for 26 points/.619), London (13-7-0-1 good for 27 points/.658), Saginaw (11-6-2-0 good for 24 points/.632) and Windsor (12-6-2-0 good for 26 points/.650).

When it really comes down to it Flints performance on the road (including the PK) is what is really keeping them from being in the top four teams of the OHL Western Conference.
You don't know how to read I said their PK is 82% since Nov 1st and it is. What is wrong with you I broke it down for you and all my information came from OHL website. Are you saying they weren't 7/40 since November 1st? Flint definitely had things they need to improve but their penalty kill and the number of penalties they re taking aren't on that list.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What happened before the trade deadline doesn’t matter. Flint’s roster isn’t even close to what it was in December. Neither are many other team’s. Niagara and Barrie were decent squads in Oct-Dec. Theyre not now. So, throw away all that season long stats. The house just got a remodel, some repairs and a new addition. The market value has drastically changed.

could not agree more.

Reactions: Toldyaso

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
You don't know how to read I said their PK is 82% since Nov 1st and it is. What is wrong with you I broke it down for you and all my information came from OHL website. Are you saying they weren't 7/40 since November 1st? Flint definitely had things they need to improve but their penalty kill and the number of penalties they re taking aren't on that list.

Reread my post, no where did I say that Flint was NOT 7/40 on the PK since November 1st as you stated.

However, are you in denial that Flint is currently rated 19th in PK on the road?

Speaking of November 1st, let me recall to all that the Firebirds were 10-3-0-0 before their November 1st game and in 1st Place in the OHL'S Western Conference along with cracking the Top 10 CHL Rankings for the first time since being in Flint.

Since then Flint has played 13-14-1-1 hockey (8-8-1-0 on home ice) that's why they now find themselves where they are today in the 6th spot of the OHL's Western Conference.

Cracking the Top 10 CHL Rankings for the first time was the beginning of Flints fall from being a top 4 position/first round home ice team.

There still is time left and the schedule is in their favor, so lets see what happens......if they rise, stay put or even fall further in the standings. Let me reminder you that Flint is just as close to being in first as they are being in last in the conference (12 point swing)......Anything is possible being in that position.

Reactions: TcNorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Reread my post, no where did I say that Flint was NOT 7/40 on the PK since November 1st as you stated.

However, are you in denial that Flint is currently rated 19th in PK on the road?

Speaking of November 1st, let me recall to all that the Firebirds were 10-3-0-0 before their November 1st game and in 1st Place in the OHL'S Western Conference along with cracking the Top 10 CHL Rankings for the first time since being in Flint.

Since then Flint has played 13-14-1-1 hockey (8-8-1-0 on home ice) that's why they now find themselves where they are today in the 6th spot of the OHL's Western Conference.

Cracking the Top 10 CHL Rankings for the first time was the beginning of Flints fall from being a top 4 position/first round home ice team.

There still is time left and the schedule is in their favor, so lets see what happens......if they rise, stay put or even fall further in the standings. Let me reminder you that Flint is just as close to being in first as they are being in last in the conference (12 point swing)......Anything is possible being in that position.

As Savard18 pointed out, a great October followed by Vierling wanting to be home; international tournaments for Othman, Kressler, Dellandrea, Kolyachonok, Oksentyuk; injury to Gretz and Kressler; it all means nothing now.
As of Jan 10, Flint is a different and improved team.

Last edited:

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Gotta love this fan base. Scorned lovers/employees, STH, handicapped, displaced, hockey fans.... all in one place, arguing about 16-19 years olds and they are performing while working on a specialized craft. While we sit at our 9-5's, overweight, overworked, and under appreciate that these are just kids. Not going to be NHL caliber numbers on basically "A" level hockey (if using baseball settings for development, "AAA/AA/A+/Extended ST, ETC").

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Gotta love this fan base. Scorned lovers/employees, STH, handicapped, displaced, hockey fans.... all in one place, arguing about 16-19 years olds and they are performing while working on a specialized craft. While we sit at our 9-5's, overweight, overworked, and under appreciate that these are just kids. Not going to be NHL caliber numbers on basically "A" level hockey (if using baseball settings for development, "AAA/AA/A+/Extended ST, ETC").

concerning scorned, over weight, under worked, under appreciate, and 9-5; speak for yourself.

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
.if they rise, stay put or even fall further in the standings. Let me reminder you that Flint is just as close to being in first as they are being in last in the conference (12 point swing)......Anything is possible being in that position.

Really? Tell you what, how about if they fall in the standings by the final regular season game, I will NEVER post in this thread again. If they rise in the standings, YOU never post in this thread again. Deal? You want in on this TC? You’re always touting how good your team Saginaw is and how close Flint is to being out of the playoffs. We on?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I didn’t see much, other than the 3rd period of the Kingston game. I know Cavallin didn’t have his best performance of the year, but the commentators said it wasn’t really his fault. I don’t know. I do know Luke is on the OHL site for Saves of the Week and also Plays of the Week. Congrats kid.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I didn’t see much, other than the 3rd period of the Kingston game. I know Cavallin didn’t have his best performance of the year, but the commentators said it wasn’t really his fault. I don’t know. I do know Luke is on the OHL site for Saves of the Week and also Plays of the Week. Congrats kid.
yes he got hung out to dry a bit and the team stopped playing. that was a send a message goalie change if you ask me. Message was received loud and clear. dominated the game the rest of the way after that. Popovich didn't really have to work to hard after he went in.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
well Grainor and Morrison are goalies that aren't up with the birds at the moment, Giroux is down with a lower league and or injured right now. Bangs I believe will not be playing again because of concussionsand hasn't been with the team all season. Harper and Pierce are the only ones active with the team at this time.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Really loving what Riley Piercey is bringing right now.

Glad to see Durham finally skating again, looks like the Durham from last season.

Power play still looks like absolute trash, but got the W.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Really loving what Riley Piercey is bringing right now.

Glad to see Durham finally skating again, looks like the Durham from last season.

Power play still looks like absolute trash, but got the W.
For real and for real. Durham had a huge breakup on a back check too. Piercey has been unreal. Now, I still think Vierling has a solid OHL career but right now he has 6gp 2g 2a 4pts and is -7. Piercey now has 7gp 5g 5a 10pts and is +8 with a fight and multiple hits. I don’t think Vierling has been in any scraps. Riley should be working his way into draft talks. As far as PP, it’s concerning. That will cost you big in the playoffs. Wellwood has fixed the D breakdowns. He’s improved 5 on 5 play and has the PK firing. He’s got the team playing disciplined. Only so much you can fix at once and they’re too good to have those PP numbers. It’s gotta happen before playoffs begin though or it’s gonna cause problems.

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
If a few other guys lift up their game like Ty and Durham have, could be a fun finish to the season. Really like Piercey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia