Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Cavallin stood on his head at times in that one and won that game. Came up with a few huge saves.

Hoping we see more of him moving forward.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Great to see Cav get the start and a star. I thought he looked great. Good to see Pierce stand up for a teammate and take on the biggest and one of the toughest fighters in the league. Brave, and your teammates owe you dinner for that one. That’s the Ty Dellandrea they need every night. The feed on the first goal was as nice as the OT goal almost. Congrats to Evgeniy on extending the streak. The last two nights I was reminded how good Kressler is for a 16yo and how good Tucker is on the blue line. 4 outta 6 against Saginaw and Windsor ain’t bad but they coulda created a little more separation. The schedule eases up soon though if they keep their foot on the gas.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Well what do all the Flint supporters think about your first Trade Deadline as a true contender? Did you do enough to shore up the holes and go for it? I still think the West has a lot of teams that could be the “sole survivor” in the West. Saginaw maybe has rose to the top but I think Kitchener if they play to their potential could be tough come playoffs? Anyway good luck the rest of the way and enjoy the run to the playoffs!

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Great to see Cav get the start and a star. I thought he looked great. Good to see Pierce stand up for a teammate and take on the biggest and one of the toughest fighters in the league. Brave, and your teammates owe you dinner for that one. That’s the Ty Dellandrea they need every night. The feed on the first goal was as nice as the OT goal almost. Congrats to Evgeniy on extending the streak. The last two nights I was reminded how good Kressler is for a 16yo and how good Tucker is on the blue line. 4 outta 6 against Saginaw and Windsor ain’t bad but they coulda created a little more separation. The schedule eases up soon though if they keep their foot on the gas.
I was pretty upset with the effort on friday. Wasnt happy that the blew a 3-1 lead last nite. With your prospective of 4 out 6 pts from 2 of the top teams in the league. It really wasnt bad. They definitely have to keep improving.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well what do all the Flint supporters think about your first Trade Deadline as a true contender? Did you do enough to shore up the holes and go for it? I still think the West has a lot of teams that could be the “sole survivor” in the West. Saginaw maybe has rose to the top but I think Kitchener if they play to their potential could be tough come playoffs? Anyway good luck the rest of the way and enjoy the run to the playoffs!
I like the players they acquired a lot. Been a big fan of Tucker for awhile and Piercey won me over real quick. Not super familiar with Yule’s Game but I can assume. I was a proponent of going for it more next year but it is what it is and it’s not a BAD group to build around. I wish Branch would have acquired an elite goal scorer though. I also would like to see Cavallin given more of an opportunity to take the starters role. The group is a bit bi-polar and have highs and lows. If Dellandrea, Durham, Keppen, Oksentyuk etc. play to their capabilities then this group can go far. Right now, I can see this group getting hot and finding their way into a Western Conf, OHL final or even Memorial Cup Tourney. I can see them struggle to finish chances and Ty and Jake never come around and get bounced in the first round. We’ll have a little clearer idea of what to expect over the next couple weeks.

Reactions: Toldyaso and Buttsy

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Not familiar with Yule either, but looking at his stats he’s definitely not a pure goal scorer which I hoped Flint would have acquired. He’s got size, we will have to see what else? Sometimes change can be good as we have seen in the Morgan scenario.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Same as the others...they could have made things a lot easier on themselves by acquiring an elite-level scoring winger (thinking Kaliyev here). Maybe they tried and the price was deemed to be too high, but they burned a good amount of assets to acquire the guys they did, so why not go all the way...??? Anyway, they're better than they were last week, and the D-core looks exceptional. They can make a deep run, but they're going to have to work for it.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I need to find the time to come up and see and game. Always sucks this time of year cause you never know what type of weather you're going to get. Sounds like the birds have gotten bigger and heavier which can wear teams down. Hoping they can atleast get past the first round. If anything its a good building block for the future.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Next 5 on the road against some very very tough opponents. Ottawa, Peterborough, and Guelph are all top notch teams. Even Kingston and The Soo are improved. We need to keep our heads above water in the standings. The better teams find a way to win some on the road.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Now here's the last thing I expected to read about in Junior hockey. I thought the top programs had nutritionists who managed the players diets. Whoops! Knight’s goalie suspended after failing drug test
“Inadvertently taken a supplement containing a banned substance found in a product purchased from a reputable retailer.” Eight games kinda seems like a lot. Every athlete nowadays is taking all kinds of supplements for strength, cardio and recovery. I hope they’re giving all these kids lists of banned substances with examples of products that contain them.

Last edited:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
...and I already used that one like two months ago and I’m sure I wasn’t the first.
But did you spell it misQue? I don't think you did. I remember when you used it. Londons first meeting with flint when the boys chased Myskiw from the goal in the second period after 4 Myskiws. ;)

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Only caught OT and the shootout but WOW. Post Deadline vs the best teams in the league Flint is 2-1-1. They can hang but life will be much easier if they can claw their way into the #3 spot or higher. The 4-5 is shaping up to be a battle between two teams. Cavallin looked amazing in what I saw and Ty and some others looked good in OT. No skills competition in the playoffs but I wouldn’t want to face Ottawa in any kind of OT.

Reactions: Toldyaso

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Very good game versus an outstanding team. The point was needed as we are 8 points from 4th place and 4 points from 9th place with games in-hand. Every point counts.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Missed it the game last night, but by the highlights this morning Cavallin had a good night. Just a bit sloppy in the defensive end didn't do Cavallin any favors last night, not much he could do on the 4 goals.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Missed it the game last night, but by the highlights this morning Cavallin had a good night. Just a bit sloppy in the defensive end didn't do Cavallin any favors last night, not much he could do on the 4 goals.

you might not be giving the ‘67s enough here. When their top players get one clean pass off in the o-zone, there’s quite often one or two more coming with the puck ending up in the net in a blink of the eye. When the play is not there, the ‘67s generally don’t give it up, they are most difficult to create offence against.
Having said that, teams with depth like Flint give the ‘67s fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad