Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
In the last week we have added players that are 6-2, 6-3, and 6-6. We needed some size and we got it. Teams will have to respect the size and hopefully think twice about taking liberties with our players.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
@OhlTrade: The Flint #Firebirds have acquired Quinn Yule from the Ottawa #67s in exchange for a Flint 8th round pick ('21)

Love the move for this.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
So, looking at some possible still available forward upgrades....

18yo C Ryan Suzuki-Barrie (expensive if available)
19yo LW Maxim Golod-Erie
19yo RW Chad Yetman-Erie (not sure he’d come as they traded his bro)
19yo LW Pavel Gogolev-Guelph (he’s already used his NTC, so unlikely)
19yo C Cam Hillis-Guelph (see Gogolev. Rumor they want to stay in Guelph)
18yo LW Arthur Kaliyev-Hamilton (be prepared to break the bank)
18yo C Tag Bertuzzi-Hamilton
18yo RW Cole Schwindt-Missy
19yo C Luke Moncada-North Bay
19yo C Aiden Dudas-Owen Sound (reportedly not on the market?)
19yo C Barrett Kirin-Owen Sound

Dream acquisitions- 1. Kaliyev 2. Gogolev 3. Suzuki -All unrealistic I think.

Doesn’t leave any real lights out goal scorers or forwards.
I’d probably lean towards Luke Moncada who has 20 goals in 38 games and is +/- even on North Bay. Tag Bertuzzi has been producing quite a bit recently and Chad Yetman can put the puck in the back of the net if available. Flint did trade his brother away in Firebird Year One which basically ended his OHL career though. Not sure he’d be thrilled to be here. Not much left and Kitchener just made a big upgrade as did Peterborough out East with Sudbury making a couple solid acquisitions too. I didn’t look at too many outside the box players on teams that might sell instead of buying or standing pat.
Kaliyev is my #1 dream acquisition, as well.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, if you’re watching what I’m watching, you’re seeing the West start to position itself. You’re seeing Saginaw and Windsor lining up to battle for the West and London and Kitchener line up for the Midwest. Flint looking like the odds on for a #4 or #5 seed. Good chance of a first round exit. Which would mean a huge waste of picks this year and a complete fumbling of players and assets. It looks like Branch is going to do exactly the last thing I wanted to see him do. Go for it this year, but half-@zz it enough so he doesn’t get it accomplished and wreck the assets for next year too.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Never know, could upset a big dog and make a run, with room to build for next year?

I can see what you are saying though. I am intrigued by the addition of size.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Disappointing. Love the D. Like the goalies. Like the forwards but if they wanna win even one series, they’re gonna need Ty, Jake and Ethan to find their goal scoring again. They’ve got spread out offense but no game breaking sniper. I don’t like their chances for post season success this year.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Disappointing. Love the D. Like the goalies. Like the forwards but if they wanna win even one series, they’re gonna need Ty, Jake and Ethan to find their goal scoring again. They’ve got spread out offense but no game breaking sniper. I don’t like their chances for post season success this year.
Well, I guess we can hope that with this defense, they can win a lot of games 2-1 or 3-2.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, I guess we can hope that with this defense, they can win a lot of games 2-1 or 3-2.
They have 3 lines worth of kids that CAN score, but they’re gonna need everybody chipping in a bit every night. They should be able to intimidate too. They might be the grittiest group in the West now? Maybe?

Reactions: dirty12

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
They have 3 lines worth of kids that CAN score, but they’re gonna need everybody chipping in a bit every night. They should be able to intimidate too. They might be the grittiest group in the West now? Maybe?
Well, hopefully now that the roster is full and bolstered, we end up with a squad that can play the game anyway you want to play it. And maybe, now that the roster is full, guys can concentrate on playing their own role, rather than having to do more than should be asked if each of them.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Final roster shows Bangs still, I thought he was done? Anyone know what’s up with him?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Final roster shows Bangs still, I thought he was done? Anyone know what’s up with him?
Heard early in the season that Bangs was retiring from hockey at the Major Junior level because of repeated concussions. I would assume that they are keeping him on the roster only because there's no real reason to remove him at this point, and should he change his mind, they probably would welcome him back, even if it's only to see what he'd bring in trade.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, hopefully now that the roster is full and bolstered, we end up with a squad that can play the game anyway you want to play it. And maybe, now that the roster is full, guys can concentrate on playing their own role, rather than having to do more than should be asked if each of them.
I do like the depth and I don’t think we’ve seen them play close to their potential as a group or individuals in some cases. They didn’t give up any MORE young prospects which is good.

Oksentyuk-Dellandrea-Durham
Keppen-Morgan-Wismer
Piercey-Roberts-Othmann
Kressler-Phibbs-Pierce
Yule-Giroux

Tucker-McCourt
Busby-Kolyachonok
Lalonde-Deline
Gretz-Harper
Mix those pairings up however you like. I love the D core.

Popovich
Cavallin

Wish that were reversed but if one falters, I’m confident in the other. I find it unlikely both will struggle if one of them does.

I just think in your “Go For It” year you need to be lights out at two of Forwards-Goaltending-Defense. I think they’re stacked on D and capable at forward and goal. If Poppy or Cav step up and catch fire, there’s certainly enough at forward to get the job done. If Poppy and Cav are just average though? It puts a lot of pressure on a forward group that has struggled to finish chances for 35+ games this year. They have been producing chances though and much of the group has shown in the past that they can finish. It’s just more of a gamble than I would have liked. Can I see them winning the West? Uhm, maybe? Can I see them getting bounced in the first round? Yup. Luckily nobody in the West REALLY loaded up but Saginaw’s acquisitions/returns are going to make them potent.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Oksentyuk-Dellandrea-Durham
Keppen-Morgan-Wismer
Piercey-Roberts-Othmann
Kressler-Phibbs-Pierce
Yule-Giroux

Tucker-McCourt
Busby-Kolyachonok
Lalonde-Deline
Gretz-Harper
Mix those pairings up however you like. I love the D core.

Popovich
Cavallin
I believe Kressler is most likely out for the remainder, so put Yule into that spot. Other than that, you've got the forwards lined up exactly as I do. I also think that if the other six D remain healthy and available, that Deline and Harper are hard-pressed to see much ice time moving forward.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I believe Kressler is most likely out for the remainder, so put Yule into that spot. Other than that, you've got the forwards lined up exactly as I do. I also think that if the other six D remain healthy and available, that Deline and Harper are hard-pressed to see much ice time moving forward.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking Yule-Pierce-(if healthy)Kressler And Gretz-Deline would be matchup based/last game performance based game day decisions. At least Windsor didn’t make any additions. There’s over 1/3 of a season to go. It’s NOT how I would have chosen to move forward with the org this year but I like the coaches and roster a lot, it’ll be fun to watch and I think they’re capable of proving me wrong but it’s going to be a tough task.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Think this lineup would have been really fun to watch a few years ago. Before they went to the 3 fighting majors and suspensions start. Dont think they would have taken crap from anyone. Still think they will be fun to watch and really tough. Go Birds

Reactions: dirty12

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

He had some concussion issues. Doctors told him it was probably time to hang the skates up and he did.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Should have just traded Cavallin to whoever for a new pair of leg pads for Popovich.

funny. For a fleeting second, the thought of moving Popovich to bring in Lodinia occurred to me; but, Poppy’s playoff experience is too important to the team. Besides, there must have been promises of at least top 9 minutes for Piercy to waive NTC in his draft year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad