Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
45 minutes of good effort. Cavallin played exceptional. The last 15 minutes Ice Dogs got to them.
Yep, it was actually about 48 minutes of the best hockey I've seen the team and Cavallin play all year. Staying right in there with one of the league heavyweights. Little concerned they might be worn out going into today's game against another powerhouse with a superstar netminder. Hopefully Wellwood can work a little magic. The Keppen-Morgan-Wismer line has looked good. It's nice to Wismer getting chances and producing. For those that haven't noticed, Morgan has played 8 games in Flint. He has 6 points and is +6 in 8 games!

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Once again these boys amaze me....

Attachments

• 20190120_115512.jpg
    20190120_115512.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 86

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Yep, it was actually about 48 minutes of the best hockey I've seen the team and Cavallin play all year. Staying right in there with one of the league heavyweights. Little concerned they might be worn out going into today's game against another powerhouse with a superstar netminder. Hopefully Wellwood can work a little magic. The Keppen-Morgan-Wismer line has looked good. It's nice to Wismer getting chances and producing. For those that haven't noticed, Morgan has played 8 games in Flint. He has 6 points and is +6 in 8 games!

Unfortunately, 48 minutes of the best hockey doesn't always guarantee a positive outcome. It's those 12 minutes that this team is lacking with the youth and talent on this team.

Going into this weekend with three games on the road and a dismal road record for this team (now 1-21-0-0) it didn't look promising. All it takes is for one solid game by the kids to change that (60 minutes of effort and not just 48).

Look at the schedule after tonight's game in Oshawa...two more road games next weekend in Kitchener and Owen Sound. After that, it doesn't get easier coming home with games with London and Saginaw. Then, once again on the road again for 5 games. If 8-35-3-0 isn't bad enough this could even get "scarier."

No guarantee tonight that the Birds will end up facing that "superstar" goaltender that you mentioned. Oh, by the way, who is that "superstar" goaltender you referred to? Sure would be nice to have someone like that in the net for Flint.

Last edited:

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I’m still waiting for the supposed “sources”. Should I hold my breath? Should I call in some investigative report to figure out these lame duck sources? You claim to want hockey to stay in Flint but everytime you speak, it says otherwise. What is your issue against this team. We know you disagree with the ownership. We all don’t like that situation. And we all hope it can be turned around. Just be happy they are being competitive and not rolling over. These kids have fight and are being coached up. Which is what you want from a developmental league.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I’m still waiting for the supposed “sources”. Should I hold my breath? Should I call in some investigative report to figure out these lame duck sources? You claim to want hockey to stay in Flint but everytime you speak, it says otherwise. What is your issue against this team. We know you disagree with the ownership. We all don’t like that situation. And we all hope it can be turned around. Just be happy they are being competitive and not rolling over. These kids have fight and are being coached up. Which is what you want from a developmental league.

I DO want hockey to stay in Flint, But with the ownership and people who are managing this team currently there is no way that they will be able to as you say "turn it around" and achieve success. Do you think 8-35-3-0 is achieving success?

How many more years are you going to put up with the "hockey mentality" that has been established in Flint where players continuously asked to be traded and players refuse to report.

How many more lies will it take from management before you realize that you have been duped?

These kids who are playing in Flint this year have gone thru more than what any other junior team in the Canadian Hockey League has. The problem is not with the KIDS or coaching staff. The problem is with the ADULTS who are running this team.

Open up your eyes, this team is drawing nearly 500 less fans per game this year from last. The Flint/Genesee county public are sending a message that they don't like whats going on at the Dort and are proving it by staying away.

When are you going to speak out about it? After the lights are turned off and there is no more OHL hockey in Flint?

That is my ISSUE with whats going on in Flint.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Cavallin looked really good and confident through 40 minutes today. Made several big saves. But then lost all confidence when the Gens scored a couple quick ones in the 3rd. I assume that's been his problem all year? Hopefully he can gain some confidence as the team starts to be healthy and win more

Reactions: three dog night

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Toldyaso needs to have the last word and that is fine. Not a good Firebirds weekend and next weekend looks tough too. They just need to keep working hard.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Cavallin looked really good and confident through 40 minutes today. Made several big saves. But then lost all confidence when the Gens scored a couple quick ones in the 3rd. I assume that's been his problem all year? Hopefully he can gain some confidence as the team starts to be healthy and win more
Yeah, that's mostly been it. He'll be lights out for awhile and make big saves off defensive breakdowns. A couple will get by him and the defensive breakdowns will continue and he'll start letting some by. Both scenarios have improved lately and the lack of confidence (?) rarely carries over to the next start for Cavallin. It's getting better and clearly the post-deadline Niagara and Oshawa squads are superior to ANY line-up they faced pre-deadline or since. Even with Oshawa throwing us a softie by starting Hughes. It's just momentary lapses now, where early on it was 60 minutes of back door goals, major miscues and often lack of effort. It's getting better, I was really happy with how the boys (and especially Cavallin) played for 40-50 minutes against the Dogs and Gens.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Yeah, that's mostly been it. He'll be lights out for awhile and make big saves off defensive breakdowns. A couple will get by him and the defensive breakdowns will continue and he'll start letting some by. Both scenarios have improved lately and the lack of confidence (?) rarely carries over to the next start for Cavallin. It's getting better and clearly the post-deadline Niagara and Oshawa squads are superior to ANY line-up they faced pre-deadline or since. Even with Oshawa throwing us a softie by starting Hughes. It's just momentary lapses now, where early on it was 60 minutes of back door goals, major miscues and often lack of effort. It's getting better, I was really happy with how the boys (and especially Cavallin) played for 40-50 minutes against the Dogs and Gens.

It's not fair to blame last nights loss solely on Cavallin. He had nothing to do with the Firebirds being fully out played and out shot 18-9 in the third period.

Did you notice last night that the Birds were standing up showing the in tenseness of being into the game at their bench for most of the first and second period? After that first goal that Oshawa scored in the third period to tie the game up it seemed to deflate them. All of the players for the rest of the period were sitting down and were not exhibiting the energy on the bench that they were doing during the first and second periods.

This team gave up 14 third period goals in the three games this weekend. Not many teams who end up giving up nearly an average of 5 goals in the third period end up winning games.

Face it, there is a reason that this team is 8-36-3-0. You can blame injuries, youth, inexperience, bad breaks, short benches and so on. But when it really comes down to it, it is the level of talent on this team and the obstacles (in which the players have no control over) that exists in Flint that has prevented this team to show any consistent improvement BOTH at home and on the road.

Expect for this to continue till the end of the season, especially on the road.

At least there was one person in Canada who was grateful that the Firebirds were there at the right place and the right time...Good job boys.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
It's not fair to blame last nights loss solely on Cavallin. He had nothing to do with the Firebirds being fully out played and out shot 18-9 in the third period.

Did you notice last night that the Birds were standing up showing the in tenseness of being into the game at their bench for most of the first and second period? After that first goal that Oshawa scored in the third period to tie the game up it seemed to deflate them. All of the players for the rest of the period were sitting down and were not exhibiting the energy on the bench that they were doing during the first and second periods.

This team gave up 14 third period goals in the three games this weekend. Not many teams who end up giving up nearly an average of 5 goals in the third period end up winning games.

Face it, there is a reason that this team is 8-36-3-0. You can blame injuries, youth, inexperience, bad breaks, short benches and so on. But when it really comes down to it, it is the level of talent on this team and the obstacles (in which the players have no control over) that exists in Flint that has prevented this team to show any consistent improvement BOTH at home and on the road.

Expect for this to continue till the end of the season, especially on the road.

At least there was one person in Canada who was grateful that the Firebirds were there at the right place and the right time...Good job boys.
Was impressed with the team for all 3 of the first 2 periods but then they fell apart in the 3rd in all 3 games.
If the boys are no longer motivated then it is Wellwood's job to get them back up.
I agree that we will see much of the same in the 2nd half of the season but honestly do you have to always post the record. Everyone knows what it is...

Reactions: jprenkert

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Was impressed with the team for all 3 of the first 2 periods but then they fell apart in the 3rd in all 3 games.
If the boys are no longer motivated then it is Wellwood's job to get them back up.
I agree that we will see much of the same in the 2nd half of the season but honestly do you have to always post the record. Everyone knows what it is...

Posting the record (8-36-3-0) is a reminder as to the PROGRESS this franchise is achieving. If things don't change in the future we could all be seeing a record of (0-0-0-0)...Does everyone not realize that?

Oh, and by the way Hennig...Costa Papista is no longer with the Firebirds.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
she is intentionally being disruptive. that's why she does it. Just a mean hateful person in need of therapy if you ask me. That's the last I have to say about it. checking out!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Eric Uba ranked 150th by NHL Central Scouting so it looks like he has a decent chance of being drafted.

I remember watching his very first game in the Soo and I've been impressed with him ever since. It's nice to see a later round pick having success in Flint. That needs to happen more often and the team will find more success.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Eric Uba ranked 150th by NHL Central Scouting so it looks like he has a decent chance of being drafted.

I remember watching his very first game in the Soo and I've been impressed with him ever since. It's nice to see a later round pick having success in Flint. That needs to happen more often and the team will find more success.

Kudos to Uba on making the NHL Central Scouting list at 150. It makes it even more special when you have the experience of seeing a player at an early stage in their hockey playing career and now see him with the potential of being drafted by an NHL team.

This sends a strong message to other aspiring young hockey players, that a player even though being drafted in later rounds can one day achieve his dreams of being selected in the NHL draft.

We need to see more of this and not a player who makes a roster because of favoritism or nepotism by taking up a spot on a roster who is taking away the opportunity of other aspiring young hockey players.

Lots of hard work and determination Eric. I wish you the best.

Reactions: 419HockeyGuy

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Smereck playing in the ECHL All Star game tonight
No shi... I had checked his stats earlier in the year. Haven't looked lately. Thanks for the heads-up. I only missed the first 15 minutes or so.

Ok. Maybe I don't understand how the ECHL All-Star games works. I usually ignore All-Star Weekends. I turned it to NHL and there was 5 minutes left in the 1st. Or at least, that's what the scoreboard said. Then I noticed it was 3 on 3. Then when the period ended, they went to a shootout. First shooter scores. Next shooter misses. Game over.

Last edited:

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
she is intentionally being disruptive. that's why she does it. Just a mean hateful person in need of therapy if you ask me. That's the last I have to say about it. checking out!
Are you referring to me as being disruptive and hateful. I really hope not as I am not sure how posting what I did is disruptive to the point where I require therapy.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Are you referring to me as being disruptive and hateful. I really hope not as I am not sure how posting what I did is disruptive to the point where I require therapy.
Nope was referring to someone else who takes a perverse joy posting the teams win loss record at the end of each TL;DR wall of text Thread crap she deposits. Sorry for any confusion.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
You know, you guys are on pace to be ahead of the 2014-2015 Sudbury Wolves. They posted a 12-54-1-1 record for 26 points. Those that dwell on the negative have to realize that there have been worse teams as recently as that. For the record I still think you guys will easily get above 30 points and may overtake Kingston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad