Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Flint still has 24 games left this season and only 6 points behind Kingston. In fact, over the last 10 games Flint has climbed 7 points closer to Kingston. You won't even come close to winning the Shane Wright lottery at this rate...

Correct, this team isn't as bad as the record.

A full season of Wellwood and I think this team would be in the playoffs . 7 or 8 seed, but they would be in the mix right now.

Reactions: icuwoot

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think with Wellwood convincing Cody Morgan to sign and possibly also Pierce and Deline (who has looked really good for a 16yo 6th round pick) he plans on being around next year one way or another. I don't see him convincing a 17yo 1st round kid to leave Windsor if he only sees himself being here for a couple months.

Reactions: Gensdef and icuwoot

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I think Rolf has done something similar to Saginaw in that he has had Larionov with him at some games. Not in any official capacity right now, but regardless, Igor of course has connections in both Jr and the NHL, so even if he could just come on as a adviser to Rolf, I think that would be a huge help in starting back on building the respectability that he needs to bring back to himself and the franchise...
But...Rolf has also had Terry Christensen hanging around again, as well. Let's hope he makes a wise decision here....Igor -or- TC???

Reactions: icuwoot

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Of course there is a HUGE HUGE difference NOW. My point was Saginaw was at one time a destination that players didn't want to go to. You just pointed out everything that happened to change that. Did you not understand the premise of my post? Rolf hasn't done a thing for 3 years. Point was everything is fixable if you just take your blinders off and think outside the box a little bit.
Did I ruffle your feathers by calling you out? You are the one that still doesn't understand! My original point was that without some experience, besides Rolf making the calls, I am afraid NHL teams and agents will not jump on board. I have no grand illusions like some, that Roof will make theright decisions. Congrats to Garber for making the right decisions in Saginaw!

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Did I ruffle your feathers by calling you out? You are the one that still doesn't understand! My original point was that without some experience, besides Rolf making the calls, I am afraid NHL teams and agents will not jump on board. I have no grand illusions like some, that Roof will make theright decisions. Congrats to Garber for making the right decisions in Saginaw!

It would be a travesty if the OHL gives back Rolf Nilsen this franchise.

You can't even compare Richard Garbers integrity and commitment to Saginaw to as what Rolf Nilsen has done for Flint/Genesee County.

Garber is a life long resident and lives within the city limits of Saginaw, who is a third generation owner of Garber Buick which dates back to 1907 in Saginaw, Michigan. In addition, Garber is involved with many philanthropic endeavors towards both Saginaw and the Great Lakes Bay Region to mention just a few of his contributions to the area.

I ask you why was Garber within the past three years while Nilsen has been suspended able to entice both Jimmy Devellano and Chris Osgood to be part of and investors in the Saginaw Spirit Hockey Club?

One cannot deny not only the difference of "Hockey Mentality" but also the results on the ice between the Spirit and Firebirds.

I REPEAT it would be a travesty if the OHL gives Nilsen back this franchise, when there is a group who has shown interest in purchasing the Firebirds and who has been in business in the Flint/Genesee county area for nearly 50 years. That organization has always exhibited respect and integrity and has done ever so much more for the area than what Rolf Nilsen could ever do.

And, PLEASE don't ask me who I think could do the better job than what Nilsen has done in Flint!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Correct, this team isn't as bad as the record.

A full season of Wellwood and I think this team would be in the playoffs . 7 or 8 seed, but they would be in the mix right now.
I think the future for next year and beyond will be played out this spring. Need to watch what Wellwood does. Does he get let go, does he resign, does he stay on? For me this is all a big tell on where this franchise is heading. Knowing Wellwood if he sees a future there he will gut it out, but if the future is already written and it is not good he may chose to move on. For me Wellwood is the present day barometer of this franchise.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I think the future for next year and beyond will be played out this spring. Need to watch what Wellwood does. Does he get let go, does he resign, does he stay on? For me this is all a big tell on where this franchise is heading. Knowing Wellwood if he sees a future there he will gut it out, but if the future is already written and it is not good he may chose to move on. For me Wellwood is the present day barometer of this franchise.

It's a night and day difference with Wellwood behind the bench.

Team was 0-7/8 with Oulahen.

Wellwood was hired on the 18th, started coaching beginning of November? (my dates might be off a touch, can't find when he was finally behind the bench after visa issues. )

0-15-1 when he finally took over the bench? Give him a month as his pre-season and camp.

So they were 3-26-1 through the end of November?

Since December 1st
5-7-2

And some of those early games were very winnable. They could definitely be in the mix.

I absolutely hope Wellwood is back next year.

I'll be buying tickets again. I'll keep supporting this team, and these kids.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Wellwood took over the Firebirds on October 26th at Sarnia where the Firebirds lost 4-2 to the Sting.

When Wellwood took over the Firebirds their record was 0-11-0-0 (0-6-0-0 at home and 0-5-0-0 on the road). GF 21 GA 65.

Wellwood's record with the Firebirds stands at 8-22-3-0 (7-8-3-0 at home and 1-14-0-0 on the road) GF 106 GA 168.

Actually, they were 3-23-1-0 at the end of November. 2-8-1-0 for December and currently 3-2-1-0 in January.

Definitely an improvement in regards to the Home record. Dismal in regards to the Road record. With 10 of the next 12 games on the road it will be a test as to how much they can/will improve on that.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Btw I am so impressed with Koly! He has continued to be good throughout the season....also Durham 30 goals? wow

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Btw I am so impressed with Koly! He has continued to be good throughout the season....also Durham 30 goals? wow

Koly is a stud, took a while for him to get his first goal, and you could see him pressing a bit. Finally got one, now has 3 in like 2 weeks. Been extremely impressed with him.

Reactions: LDN

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Wonder if Flint traveled down the highway to St.Catharines after the game tonight with the forcast calling for lot of snow in the area tomorrow.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, last night was their best chance for a win this weekend. Vella can't be letting Missy score on the 1st and 3rd goals the way they did. Oshawa won't be easy but Niagara is going to be really tough. Good to see Vierling get his second. Pierce to continue his strong start and Wismer putting himself on the score sheet frequently recently.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Flint good effort tonight especially the goaltender the Icedogs just wore them down good luck tomorrow in Oshawa drive safe not a bad crowd tonight considering the weather .

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
45 minutes of good effort. Cavallin played exceptional. The last 15 minutes Ice Dogs got to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad