Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Hi. I'm a OHL fan, but not a Firebirds fan. I do think that the Flint franchise has great potential and can be a very valuable member of the OHL community. With the situation being that the franchise being under guardianship of the league, for lack of a better term ( and I admit I don't know the full legal ramifications of their stewardship ) Then David Branch and the league governors have some feduciary responsibility toward insuring the success of the franchise. Although Rolf might not be a model owner, he has invested significantly in the acquisition of the team, and the arena in which they play. If the league operates the team in such a way as to devalue the franchise, perhaps the owner would have a bona fide complaint legally speaking.
This franchise does have value, and the manner in which it's being operated is severely depreciating that value. Once the fans stop patronizing the team, it'll be a very tough sell to recover the trust & support. It's come to that stage, and maybe the only way to salvage the value would be a fan petition to the league outlining the level of dissatisfaction in the way things are going ? I don't know the financial break-even point or if the team is slipping from profitability toward a money-losing situation, but those attendance numbers have to be indicative of something along that trend.
The fans have proven that this is a viable franchise. It'll be a shame if the league manages to render it otherwise, through missmanagement.

Purple...you bring up some very valid points. I likewise believe that Nilsen has a valid claim that the actions of the OHL since their take over of the team has devalued the worth of the franchise.

There are many here on this board who are attempting to defend this poor excuse of a hockey team. Fortunately, there are more people in Flint who are not on this board, but well aware of the situation going on in Flint. They are making a statement by staying away from the Dort.

I ask those defenders, how many years of rebuilding will it take (1, 2, 5, 10) before you realize what the rest of us already know now.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not going to call you a name as you did with me.

NHL teams do and have done in the past demand that a player be traded. Don't believe me just ask Will Bitten and the Montreal Canadiens.

NHL teams have a lot of $$$ invested in prospects/players, more so than what an OHL team has. They are going to do what they want to. They have the ability to pull a player from a team and place them elsewhere.

Don't believe me, ask Ty what he wants, then maybe you'll change your tune.

Dallas could have Ty watch games from the stands next season to force a trade and burn a year of ELC if they want. Though I doubt a ‘pro’ organization would want to mess with the kid’s development

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Purple...you bring up some very valid points. I likewise believe that Nilsen has a valid claim that the actions of the OHL since their take over of the team has devalued the worth of the franchise.

There are many here on this board who are attempting to defend this poor excuse of a hockey team. Fortunately, there are more people in Flint who are not on this board, but well aware of the situation going on in Flint. They are making a statement by staying away from the Dort.

I ask those defenders, how many years of rebuilding will it take (1, 2, 5, 10) before you realize what the rest of us already know now.

LOL

I don't see anyone defending anything the league has done. Pretty sure everyone would love to see a competitive team. Everyone here is frustrated with the team, most people here (Minus TCFlint), I think are season ticket holders. I'll continue to buy season tickets as long as the team is here. I do a lot of business locally, and I want to see this team have success.

Just to come to a message board and continue to complain about everything over and over and over and over and OVER, ITS OLD. WE GET IT! YOU AREN'T HAPPY! I don't hate my life tho, and don't like the never ending negativity. Nothing said here is going to change anything. I don't see Rolf or Barclay on here taking suggestions.

The front office is a bit bare, Jeremy Torrey has multiple jobs, if you are such an expert on everything and know how to fix everything, you should probably head up head to the Dort with your resume and ask for a job.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Dallas could have Ty watch games from the stands next season to force a trade and burn a year of ELC if they want. Though I doubt a ‘pro’ organization would want to mess with the kid’s development

If he's watching games from the stands, it wouldn't burn a year of his ELC, only if he plays in 10+ NHL games

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Hi. I'm a OHL fan, but not a Firebirds fan. I do think that the Flint franchise has great potential and can be a very valuable member of the OHL community. With the situation being that the franchise being under guardianship of the league, for lack of a better term ( and I admit I don't know the full legal ramifications of their stewardship ) Then David Branch and the league governors have some feduciary responsibility toward insuring the success of the franchise. Although Rolf might not be a model owner, he has invested significantly in the acquisition of the team, and the arena in which they play. If the league operates the team in such a way as to devalue the franchise, perhaps the owner would have a bona fide complaint legally speaking.
This franchise does have value, and the manner in which it's being operated is severely depreciating that value. Once the fans stop patronizing the team, it'll be a very tough sell to recover the trust & support. It's come to that stage, and maybe the only way to salvage the value would be a fan petition to the league outlining the level of dissatisfaction in the way things are going ? I don't know the financial break-even point or if the team is slipping from profitability toward a money-losing situation, but those attendance numbers have to be indicative of something along that trend.
The fans have proven that this is a viable franchise. It'll be a shame if the league manages to render it otherwise, through missmanagement.
What we are witnessing is the true arrogance of David Branch running amok by allowing his son to run this franchise into the ground. The very definition of nepotism. I fail to see the difference between what Branch is doing and why Rolf Nilsen had his ownership suspended. If anything this is worse.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Hopefully the upper hands are working on getting some AP's to fill the gaps for a few games. I believe Phibbs and Rowe are back on Friday. I do agree keeping a lean roster doesn't make sense at all and will only drain the other players who are healthy when situations like this arise. There will always be injuries, suspensions, and even illness.

Phibbs for sure. Rowe haven't heard about being for certain.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
OS fan here; Wow reading through this thread, it's unfortunate to hear the problem you are having dressing a full squad. I can't believe that your management hasn't made a deal to acquire our OA /LW#8 Lazerchuck (spelling). He would certainly help your forward group for the remainder of the season.

He was traded to Missagua this afternoon.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I am not angry.

I am telling the truth as to whats going on here in Flint.

Are you denying and believe that everything is "honky dory" or even spout out that it is FAKE news?

If so you need to take a look at the standings. The standings will prove that whats occurring is NOT a rebuild and that Nilsen and the OHL are the ones to blame for this. This team last year after 14 games was 6-7-1. Same time this year this team is 0-13-1.

The good people in Flint who care about hockey in Flint are being taken advantage of. Like I said earlier Flint folks aren't stupid and this is definitely showing with all of the empty seats at the Dort.

The OHL did not have the "guts" and feared legal action from Nilsen if they would had revoked the franchise from him.

You tell me with all of the player transactions that this team has had since the OHL takeover, why is it that Hakon Nilsen is still on this team? Are you telling me that there is not another defensemen in the OHL who would have exceeded Nilsen's performance and even better it?

Rolf Nilsen and the OHL made a deal with each other and it sure has produced the worst hockey that Flint has seen in its history.

I repeat, I am not angry.
I think you would be better served writing or calling Rolf, Barclay, or league headquarters, instead of going after Flint Hockey Fans if they do not agree with you. We do not know who you are, but supposedly you have the only facts.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Where is this coming from? Is the arena big enough?
I heard Papista is currently doing something with soccer. They tried that a couple years ago in Arena 2 and NObody showed. If I'm not mistaken it was a half way decent league but I know zero about that sport. I wouldn't rule it completely out but I still don't see a viable location where the Firebirds would move to and soccer has already failed so.... Phibbs suspension will be over after Wednesday for sure but I'm not sure about Rowe. I heard Rowe has a fractured cheekbone. If that's true and he gonna play, I'm guessing it'll be with a cage.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Where is this coming from? Is the arena big enough?

He's going to be announcing an outdoor team that will play at Atwood. That's supposedly a pretty high level of soccer. But I'm not sure how true that is, but there will be a soccer team there.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Don’t think Soccer would work anywhere in this area...so many people that have kids that play on their own teams

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Don’t think Soccer would work anywhere in this area...so many people that have kids that play on their own teams
Yeah, I tried to convince some friends of mine who have kids that play soccer to go support and check out the team that was at the DFCU (WazaFlo or something...so dumb) to no avail. Good luck trying to convince suburban soccer parents that they can actually go to Atwood and not get murdered. Kettering/Powers/City of Flint/U of M Flint are really trying but it's gonna take awhile.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Yeah, I tried to convince some friends of mine who have kids that play soccer to go support and check out the team that was at the DFCU (WazaFlo or something...so dumb) to no avail. Good luck trying to convince suburban soccer parents that they can actually go to Atwood and not get murdered. Kettering/Powers/City of Flint/U of M Flint are really trying but it's gonna take awhile.

Surprisingly they had some solid crowds for the womens team that played at Atwood this past year. Mostly girls who were in college or just out of college I think. Depending on the level of soccer, I think it could work. If its some low level stuff like Detroit City FC, I can't see it working. I've heard a couple different leagues mentioned on where the team might be playing, not sure which is correct.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
We've dealt with this before. A new poster shows up, throws a bunch of "insider" rumors around, doesn't ever actually comment on any type of analysis of actual team or the individual play of the players, gets 90% of it wrong and disappears.

I hope this wasn't towards me Savard18. If you remember correctly I was and am verified by the moderators as being an "insider". Some forum members don't like that fact and me for whatever reason, which is ok and they'll always push back for whatever reason. I still follow this thread along with others within the organization, including players. BTW, if you believe that Dom just found this thread last month then you need to have your head checked. He's followed this thread since day one and still does.

To confirm N Da No, It is 100% correct that Ty, Ty's parent's and Dallas want him out of Flint, sooner than later. Someone said on here that NHL teams have no say with trades or with team decisions and their prospects.. This is absolutely false.

To leave with a positive spin. Wellwood is a good coach that the players respect and can relate to. I think once he puts his system in place and gets some of his players back that this team will be decent. He seems like a young Gruden

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I think you would be better served writing or calling Rolf, Barclay, or league headquarters, instead of going after Flint Hockey Fans if they do not agree with you. We do not know who you are, but supposedly you have the only facts.

I have done already what you have suggested. I didn't bother to call or write, I spoke directly to both Rolf Nilsen and Barclay Branch face to face. And as to the league headquarters I have numerous contacts in Scarborough who keeps me informed as to whats going on in regards to Flint's situation. Knowledge of the hiring of Wellwood before it was announced, Dallas's demand in regards to Ty and Kolyachonok's immigration status. So that's why I only have facts.

This immigration situation with Kolyachonok is disgusting. If you really knew what was going on all Flint Hockey fans WOULD agree with me and NOT disagree with me as you supposedly stated in your post.

Reactions: domi55us

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I am not angry.

I am telling the truth as to whats going on here in Flint.

Are you denying and believe that everything is "honky dory" or even spout out that it is FAKE news?

If so you need to take a look at the standings. The standings will prove that whats occurring is NOT a rebuild and that Nilsen and the OHL are the ones to blame for this. This team last year after 14 games was 6-7-1. Same time this year this team is 0-13-1.

The good people in Flint who care about hockey in Flint are being taken advantage of. Like I said earlier Flint folks aren't stupid and this is definitely showing with all of the empty seats at the Dort.

The OHL did not have the "guts" and feared legal action from Nilsen if they would had revoked the franchise from him.

You tell me with all of the player transactions that this team has had since the OHL takeover, why is it that Hakon Nilsen is still on this team? Are you telling me that there is not another defensemen in the OHL who would have exceeded Nilsen's performance and even better it?

Rolf Nilsen and the OHL made a deal with each other and it sure has produced the worst hockey that Flint has seen in its history.

I repeat, I am not angry.
I will take your word for it, but tone is hard to determine in these kind of forums.

Last edited:

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I hope this wasn't towards me Savard18. If you remember correctly I was and am verified by the moderators as being an "insider". Some forum members don't like that fact and me for whatever reason, which is ok and they'll always push back for whatever reason. I still follow this thread along with others within the organization, including players. BTW, if you believe that Dom just found this thread last month then you need to have your head checked. He's followed this thread since day one and still does.

To confirm N Da No, It is 100% correct that Ty, Ty's parent's and Dallas want him out of Flint, sooner than later. Someone said on here that NHL teams have no say with trades or with team decisions and their prospects.. This is absolutely false.

To leave with a positive spin. Wellwood is a good coach that the players respect and can relate to. I think once he puts his system in place and gets some of his players back that this team will be decent. He seems like a young Gruden

Healthy...I agree with you 100 percent Wellwood is not only a good coach, but a super human being and good guy. He has proven both on the ice while playing and being behind the bench coaching that he is a winner. He does remind me of a young Gruden. But look what happen to Gruden in Flint. He went on to winning an OHL championship and is now an assistant coach in the NHL with the Islanders. The Firebirds had an asset in Gruden and look what they did to him. I just hope that Wellwood does not meet the same fate in Flint, because if he does I'm certain that he will likewise become successful elsewhere.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Speaking with some folks, they have heard from players that Ty definitely keeps to himself in the dressing room and is very quiet, which only tells me it’s just a matter of time before he is gone.

domi55us

Nov 20, 2017

Absolutely NHL teams have all the say where these kids play. If you remember Detroit was the reason Villi was traded to Missasaga. I was told while in Saginaw last week that Hunter Holmes has requested to be traded and that Owen Sound was looking at him. So let’s see if that becomes true in the next few weeks if the losing continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad