Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Thank you MJ5!!!

N Da No, Everyone feels the same frustrations, but reality is it’s not going to be fixed by you complaining on this forum. How about you call or go see BB yourself and let him know how you feel.
Hate say it but I think it would be call. BB is a non-exsistant GM. Was in Sudbury and I think he is in Flint too. Sorry but he ruined Sudbury more than they already were by having two horrible drafts. I feel the pain of the faithful Flint fans.

WJ

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
How do you know that I haven't already confronted Barclay Branch (BB) to let him know how I feel? Have you? You yourself stated in your post that everyone is frustrated.

Just ask other longtime OHL fans and followers about BB, they will tell you all about him.
Season ticket holder in Flint and Plymouth..well aware of what’s going on but you’re beating a dead horse...posting your negativity countless times a day isn’t going to change anything

Reactions: Packman and MJ5

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Season ticket holder in Flint and Plymouth..well aware of what’s going on but you’re beating a dead horse...posting your negativity countless times a day isn’t going to change anything

I applaud your support of junior hockey in both Plymouth and now in Flint.

There's no use beating a dead horse if he's dead already. There is reason to point out facts when you have a situation like what's going on in Flint.

Do you know what really is going to change things? If and when Dellandrea gets dealt then you'll really see negativity and quite possibly result in what could very well be the dagger for this franchise.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well would you quit complaining so much?
We've dealt with this before. A new poster shows up, throws a bunch of "insider" rumors around, doesn't ever actually comment on any type of analysis of actual team or the individual play of the players, gets 90% of it wrong and disappears. It doesn't take a genius to see that this group will be missing the playoffs and key pieces will be moved before the deadline. Some....SOME of this has to be put on the coaches and players. This isn't quite on Wellwood just yet, but it is on the players to a degree. Just go look at their numbers from the final 25 games of last year and tell me the aren't underperforming as individuals. I know it's a broken record but guess who was in the box while Niagara scored their first goal, putting the team behind right from the beginning? That's not on Branch. Believe it or not, the team is improving. They're generating more offense, Ty is playing and looking like he should. Others are too. They're still just snake bitten right now and the rash of injuries and suspensions is piling on top of that. They're actually maintaining some possession and getting scoring chances on the PP now. That's a really good Ice Dogs team with a great goaltender. I'd put both in the Top 3 of the league right now. 88 shots in two nights isn't good, but it's game 3 for Wellwood and they finished the day missing Busby, McCourt, Kolyachonok, Phibbs, Rowe and Roberts. There is still a lack of effort shift to shift out of some players but it's no longer MOST of them. Unfortunately the longer this continues the harder it will be to break out of this funk and the mounting injuries are really holding them back. Put those 3 D in the lineup and they don't finish the weekend 2-1? That being said, Soo, London, Ottawa up next so I expect the streak to continue a bit.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Was great to see the team battle last night. Considering their record these boys are not giving up. Shows true character. It has to be difficult to not be on the winning side but let's all remember they have had a lot of adversity since the beginning.
Lost 2 top D to injury
Coach resigned
1 D unable to play in the US

Now that they are getting some consistency I have faith the W will be just around the corner.

I shake my head reading all the negative comments on this forum and on social media. Although no one likes losing, the players read these comments and it menatally affects them like it does all athletes. If you have nothing good to say dont say it. Keep it to yourself.
Yes I agree. I think many of us are guilty of it at times. For me, I’ve resigned to criticize the team’s play more as a collective when necessary and to be more considerate when commenting on or singling out specific players. These guys are not pro paid atheletes, they are young men and in many cases boys. One caveat though is the OHL is run like a business and is certainly not cheap, at least in most Canadian markets. $23.00 a ticket for an adult and that’s before you pay for the rest of your family, and then there’s the overpriced concessions.
Also, the management and the coaches unlike the players are compensated professionals. Therefore I believe we have the right to scrutinize, and if necessary critizice their decisions and call them into question with less discretion

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Most telling stat I’ve seen for this season....

GOAL DIFFERENTIAL

1. Niagara...+21
18. Sudbury...-9
19. Kingston...-21
20. Flint...-53

A goal differential 2.5 times that of #19, and 6 times that of #18.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Tough week coming up. At SSMarie, at London, home against Ottawa. Hopefully, we can surprise someone and get some points on the board.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Definitely injuries have played a major role this year along with 2 suspensions.
1. Busby hasn't played a game.
2. McCort played only 2 or 3.
3. Import D picked up from London (sorry can't spell his name yet) Only played 1 game due to immigration issues.
4. Gordeev 2 game suspension
5. Phibbs 2 game suspension
6. Roberts hurt on Sunday - no timetable on his return.
7. Both Vierling and Biaconi off to tournament (U-17). Will each miss 5 games I believe is the number.

So going into Wednesday down at least 3 D (could be 4 if import doesn't play) and down 3 Forwards. We just don't have bodies to dress at the present time. Friday game we would gain only 1 forward with Phibbs coming back from suspension. Possibly also have the import D playing since the game will be in Canada.

Is it possible to bring up any prospects? Why do we continue to handcuff ourselves? If the league is running the team, we need to at least fill body spots. I don't think we will be able to dress the max number of bodies on Wednesday!!! or at least for the time being with 2 players at tournament.

Oh and Ty will be gone for a tournament as well sometime.

We need to fill our spots. Worry about the cards later.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Definitely injuries have played a major role this year along with 2 suspensions.
3. Import D picked up from London (sorry can't spell his name yet) Only played 1 game due to immigration issues.
7. Both Vierling and Biaconi off to tournament (U-17). Will each miss 5 games I believe is the number.

So going into Wednesday down at least 3 D (could be 4 if import doesn't play) and down 3 Forwards. We just don't have bodies to dress at the present time. Friday game we would gain only 1 forward with Phibbs coming back from suspension. Possibly also have the import D playing since the game will be in Canada.

Is it possible to bring up any prospects? Why do we continue to handcuff ourselves? If the league is running the team, we need to at least fill body spots. I don't think we will be able to dress the max number of bodies on Wednesday!!! or at least for the time being with 2 players at tournament.

You left out Rowe. He has a fracture from that puck to the face so ........

Reactions: FirebirdsFan21

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Most telling stat I’ve seen for this season....

GOAL DIFFERENTIAL

1. Niagara...+21
18. Sudbury...-9
19. Kingston...-21
20. Flint...-53

A goal differential 2.5 times that of #19, and 6 times that of #18.

You've pointed out the wide disparity between the Firebirds and the next couple of bottom teams. It show just how much worse this team is from the other bottom teams.

Also, Flint has been outscored 7 to 36 in six road games, over 5 times, averaging 1.16 goals per game...That isn't going to win many games.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
OS fan here; Wow reading through this thread, it's unfortunate to hear the problem you are having dressing a full squad. I can't believe that your management hasn't made a deal to acquire our OA /LW#8 Lazerchuck (spelling). He would certainly help your forward group for the remainder of the season.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018

Excellent question you posed... Why do we continue to handcuff ourselves? If the league is running the team, we need to at least fill body spots.

The players and coaches have no control over this, this is strictly on the OHL.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Just a reminder to everyone. if you click on a posters name you will be presented with a list of options one of which is ignore. I have decided to avail myself of this option with a certain very annoying poster here. I would encourage everyone to use this feature whenever necessary.

Reactions: MJ5

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Just a reminder to everyone. if you click on a posters name you will be presented with a list of options one of which is ignore. I have decided to avail myself of this option with a certain very annoying poster here. I would encourage everyone to use this feature whenever necessary.

Just a reminder to everyone you may be able to ignore a poster, but you can't ignore the performance that Rolf Nilsen and the OHL has dealt on Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
N Da No, why do you sound so angry? None of us are happy with our start. I make points as well about our team that are not popular, but never as angry as you sound. What's up?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Seriously, Branch & Branch have been so bad I'm starting to see the bright side of having Rolf back. The last 3 seasons aren't on him. He's had no control although I suspect he's at least managed to keep Hakon on the team. After Hakon goes though, what's really the issue with Rolf? I'm a bit petty and vengeful so if I was Rolf I'd be looking forward to getting the reins back and turning the franchise around as a big middle finger to the Branch's.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Hopefully the upper hands are working on getting some AP's to fill the gaps for a few games. I believe Phibbs and Rowe are back on Friday. I do agree keeping a lean roster doesn't make sense at all and will only drain the other players who are healthy when situations like this arise. There will always be injuries, suspensions, and even illness.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
N Da No, why do you sound so angry? None of us are happy with our start. I make points as well about our team that are not popular, but never as angry as you sound. What's up?

I am not angry.

I am telling the truth as to whats going on here in Flint.

Are you denying and believe that everything is "honky dory" or even spout out that it is FAKE news?

If so you need to take a look at the standings. The standings will prove that whats occurring is NOT a rebuild and that Nilsen and the OHL are the ones to blame for this. This team last year after 14 games was 6-7-1. Same time this year this team is 0-13-1.

The good people in Flint who care about hockey in Flint are being taken advantage of. Like I said earlier Flint folks aren't stupid and this is definitely showing with all of the empty seats at the Dort.

The OHL did not have the "guts" and feared legal action from Nilsen if they would had revoked the franchise from him.

You tell me with all of the player transactions that this team has had since the OHL takeover, why is it that Hakon Nilsen is still on this team? Are you telling me that there is not another defensemen in the OHL who would have exceeded Nilsen's performance and even better it?

Rolf Nilsen and the OHL made a deal with each other and it sure has produced the worst hockey that Flint has seen in its history.

I repeat, I am not angry.

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
Season ticket holder here since the Firebirds have been in Flint. Don't tell me who to support, as I'm not telling you who to support.

Behind the players and coaches here. They don't deserve what they are confronted with.

Don't worry you won't miss me, I ain't going nowhere.

Too bad....was hoping you would

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
You're an idiot.....nhl teams have no say in trading the player. Ty wants to stay here...beat it with your bull crap rumors you spew because you have no life

I'm not going to call you a name as you did with me.

NHL teams do and have done in the past demand that a player be traded. Don't believe me just ask Will Bitten and the Montreal Canadiens.

NHL teams have a lot of $$$ invested in prospects/players, more so than what an OHL team has. They are going to do what they want to. They have the ability to pull a player from a team and place them elsewhere.

Don't believe me, ask Ty what he wants, then maybe you'll change your tune.

Reactions: domi55us

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
I'm not going to call you a name as you did with me.

NHL teams do and have done in the past demand that a player be traded. Don't believe me just ask Will Bitten and the Montreal Canadiens.

NHL teams have a lot of $$$ invested in prospects/players, more so than what an OHL team has. They are going to do what they want to. They have the ability to pull a player from a team and place them elsewhere.

Don't believe me, ask Ty what he wants, then maybe you'll change your tune.

What are you, Ty's billets?? If so, you should keep these comments off the board as it goes against being a "parent" during the season.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Hi. I'm a OHL fan, but not a Firebirds fan. I do think that the Flint franchise has great potential and can be a very valuable member of the OHL community. With the situation being that the franchise being under guardianship of the league, for lack of a better term ( and I admit I don't know the full legal ramifications of their stewardship ) Then David Branch and the league governors have some feduciary responsibility toward insuring the success of the franchise. Although Rolf might not be a model owner, he has invested significantly in the acquisition of the team, and the arena in which they play. If the league operates the team in such a way as to devalue the franchise, perhaps the owner would have a bona fide complaint legally speaking.
This franchise does have value, and the manner in which it's being operated is severely depreciating that value. Once the fans stop patronizing the team, it'll be a very tough sell to recover the trust & support. It's come to that stage, and maybe the only way to salvage the value would be a fan petition to the league outlining the level of dissatisfaction in the way things are going ? I don't know the financial break-even point or if the team is slipping from profitability toward a money-losing situation, but those attendance numbers have to be indicative of something along that trend.
The fans have proven that this is a viable franchise. It'll be a shame if the league manages to render it otherwise, through missmanagement.

Reactions: Savard18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad