Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Evan Morrison getting the start in net today.
I didn't realize it was an early start until there was like 6 minutes left in the 3rd. I turned it on to see Gordeev heading towards the box. Shocking. So, how did Morrison actually look? I can see the stats but that only tells part of the story. I saw the 3rd goal. Fly by traffic as the shot was coming in. I noticed Gordeev in the box for two goals. Vierling with 5pts in 4 games now. I have no idea what the issue was or what turned the light switch on, but it is good to see.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
But yet it is ok for the OHL to ruin the team? Branches have done way worse than Rolf.[/QUOT

This all comes back to Rolf, if he would have not taken the actions that he did, the OHL would not have suspended Nilsen and took over the operation of the club. This is why Nilsen cannot be allowed to assume control of the Firebirds once the suspension is lifted.

The OHL is just playing out the schedule doing nothing to improve the situation. They are taking advantage of the good people of Flint. You'll hear from David Branch and the OHL come the end of the season and what they have to say I'm sure hockey fans in Flint won't like.

Stop and think, why do you think Papista, Christensen and Oulahen left after going thru the turmoil of the past four years?

Why was Wellwood not offered a contract past the current season?

Unless, someone shows up to buy this team, OHL hockey in Flint will be history...3-27-2.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Was glad to see a strong debut for Morrison yesterday. He was named the 3rd star, and was a reason they stood a chance in that game.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
But yet it is ok for the OHL to ruin the team? Branches have done way worse than Rolf.

To the general public eye, they haven’t.

To those that are invested enough to keep track of a junior teams future draft picks, absolutely. Unfortunately, that’s the minority.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I don’t understand Gordeev and the stupid penalties he takes, yet Wellwood still puts him out on the ice at the end of the game?? Sit his a%% and let him think about the unnecessarily penalties he takes almost every game. With Wellwood still keeping him in the game isn’t teaching him anything. I’m guessing the Leafs scouts are watching and seeing how Babcock runs his team, my bet is IF (and thats a big IF) the Leafs ever did sign him, I’m pretty sure Babcock would not only sit Gordeev, but push him down in the line up to send him a message. What was he the 2nd highest in penalties last year?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don’t understand Gordeev and the stupid penalties he takes, yet Wellwood still puts him out on the ice at the end of the game?? Sit his a%% and let him think about the unnecessarily penalties he takes almost every game. With Wellwood still keeping him in the game isn’t teaching him anything. I’m guessing the Leafs scouts are watching and seeing how Babcock runs his team, my bet is IF (and thats a big IF) the Leafs ever did sign him, I’m pretty sure Babcock would not only sit Gordeev, but push him down in the line up to send him a message. What was he the 2nd highest in penalties last year?
...and he earned almost all of them 2 minutes at a time via holding, hooking, slashing, delay of game, interference etc. Often choosing an ill-advised moment to commit them. I really thought he was going to round into form this year and be an imposing force on the blue line and likely a dominant D as a returning OA. Yet, he seems to have taken a step back. He chooses to go end to end 4-5-6-7 times a game, leaving his forwards standing flat-footed at the blue line. He does a decent job at entering the zone but rarely produces more than a low percentage shot while his forwards are still trying to catch up from a standstill as he raced past them. He'll often get a shot off but no one is yet in position for a second opportunity. He glides behind the net as the goalie kicks the rebound out for the opposition to scoop up and breakout while he lumbers behind the play. His point shots get blocked too often, leading to a break the other way. He'll fail to keep the puck in at the blue line once or twice a game. His outlet passes far too frequently fail to find a forward, easily being turned over in the neutral zone if not right onto to opposition stick while still in the zone. His reach sometimes pays off and I like the fact the he'll throw or attempt to throw a hipcheck or two. He's solid along the boards, often digging pucks out. I was fairly disappointed to see him completely get punked out by Douglas when Windsor last visited. He wanted no part of someone who was actually his size. Opposing fanbase's seem to dream about acquiring and I hope that if he's moved this year, a GM who'll overpay can be found. I would rank him behind Kolyachonok and McCourt and I think Busby quickly starts to outperform him too if that kid ever manages to stay healthy for more than week. Another thing that's been bugging me is Wellwood pulling the goalie. I know. I know. Down by one goal, you have to. Does he though? How many times has Flint been within a goal this year in the dying minutes and pulled the goalie? 9? 10? Not once have they scored to tie it up. They just can't produce the offense. Not 5 on 5 and no better 6 on 5. It just gives the opposition a chance to celebrate one more time and further demoralize the team. They've let in an EN nearly EVERY time the goalie has been pulled. I get you kind of have to do it but I wouldn't be doing it unless there's under a minute left and the puck is definitively in the offensive zone.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Another thing that's been bugging me is Wellwood pulling the goalie. I know. I know. Down by one goal, you have to. Does he though? How many times has Flint been within a goal this year in the dying minutes and pulled the goalie? 9? 10? Not once have they scored to tie it up. They just can't produce the offense. Not 5 on 5 and no better 6 on 5. It just gives the opposition a chance to celebrate one more time and further demoralize the team. They've let in an EN nearly EVERY time the goalie has been pulled. I get you kind of have to do it but I wouldn't be doing it unless there's under a minute left and the puck is definitively in the offensive zone.

It did work once. And because it did, for every 10 times it doesn't the coach will keep pulling the goalie for that once chance it will work again.

The 6-5 OT loss to Sarnia end of Oct, they pulled Cavallin and about 20-25 seconds later scored to tie. Lost in OT.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
There is absolutely no accountability and no structure which is why Wellwood continues to coach the way he does.

HealthyScratch1

Not Who You Think
Aug 4, 2016
Dort
I do not know much about Rolf Nilson. Does he have the kind of wealth necessary to buy an NHL franchise?
I believe his networth is north of 1-1.5 billion. I’d bet he’s eyeing a coast team though(think #4). The Florida ECHL team is a few miles from his American operations. I don’t think the NHL would ever give him a franchise.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I believe his networth is north of 1-1.5 billion. I’d bet he’s eyeing a coast team though(think #4). The Florida ECHL team is a few miles from his American operations. I don’t think the NHL would ever give him a franchise.
Are the Everblades still owned by Karmanos? I'd be surprised if he sold another franchise to Rolf. If he doesn't own them anymore, they've got an owner that's only had the club for short time. I'd also hope the ECHL does a little more due diligence on prospective owners than the OHL. Rolf has built a reputation in the hockey world. Poor Hakon. Being shoe horned into another league he's not going to be able to handle.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Are the Everblades still owned by Karmanos? I'd be surprised if he sold another franchise to Rolf. If he doesn't own them anymore, they've got an owner that's only had the club for short time. I'd also hope the ECHL does a little more due diligence on prospective owners than the OHL. Rolf has built a reputation in the hockey world. Poor Hakon. Being shoe horned into another league he's not going to be able to handle.

Yes, the Florida Everblades are still owned by Peter Karmanos. He officially put both the Everblades and now Hertz Arena up for sale in 2013. The only interested/serious parties were firms who wanted to demolish the arena and utilize the land for prime real estate. The arena is right off I-75 between Fort Myers and Naples which makes the property attractive for real estate investors. The arena was built in 1998 and seats about 7,200. It is in very good condition and has been used during the off-season as a hurricane shelter for Lee county. Matter of fact, most recently Lee County is exploring purchasing the arena.

Lee County exploring purchase of Hertz Arena

Lee county would own the building and the current ownership of the Everblades would operate and keep the ECHL franchise active.

When Nilsen brought the OHL to Flint, one of the questions a colleague of mine asked him was why Flint? Why not the Everblades who were up for sale right in the backyard of his business in Cape Coral. They did not get a response from him. What they did get from him to avoid answering their question was Nilsen evacuating inside of a closet. That's when my colleague and I realized that something was not right. Two months later Hakon was drafted by the Firebirds and we got an answer as to why Flint and not the Everblades.

Nilsen is going to have a hard time trying to find any league who is willing to give him a team. There won't be much due diligence with him, because his past actions and reputation will automatically keep him away from any reputable league .

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
When Nilsen brought the OHL to Flint, one of the questions a colleague of mine asked him was why Flint? Why not the Everblades who were up for sale right in the backyard of his business in Cape Coral. They did not get a response from him. What they did get from him to avoid answering their question was Nilsen evacuating inside of a closet. That's when my colleague and I realized that something was not right. Two months later Hakon was drafted by the Firebirds and we got an answer as to why Flint and not the Everblades.

Nilsen is going to have a hard time trying to find any league who is willing to give him a team. There won't be much due diligence with him, because his past actions and reputation will automatically keep him away from any reputable league .

Rolf Nilsen is not the first owner of any sports team to have their child on a team. Let's all remember that Rolf did not ruin the Flint Firebirds......So what he fired the coaches and caused some backlash his first year....BUT he has had nothing to do with the operations of the team since then.

STATS
2015/2016 (NILSEN)
20W
42L
4T
2016/2017 (OHL)
32W
28L
3T
2017/2018 (OHL)
20W
43L
3T
2018/2019 (OHL)
3W
27L
2T

Money talks and he will own another team. There may be some stipulations but it will happen.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Rolf Nilsen is not the first owner of any sports team to have their child on a team. Let's all remember that Rolf did not ruin the Flint Firebirds......So what he fired the coaches and caused some backlash his first year....BUT he has had nothing to do with the operations of the team since then.

STATS
2015/2016 (NILSEN)
20W
42L
4T
2016/2017 (OHL)
32W
28L
3T
2017/2018 (OHL)
20W
43L
3T
2018/2019 (OHL)
3W
27L
2T

Money talks and he will own another team. There may be some stipulations but it will happen.

Nilsen has EVERYTHING to do with the OPERATIONS, if he were not funding the cost of OPERATING the team there would be no OHL team in Flint and you would not be able to BRAG that Flint at 3-27-2 is the worst team in all of Canadian Junior Hockey...No Nilsen, No OHL.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
10 2nds and 10 3rds, won't settle for anything less.

I really hope that was sarcasm.

The last two similar trades were Konecny and Thomas. I'm including all conditionals according to the database here just for simplicities sake.

Thomas went for Hamilton's 1st rounder (McMichael), 4 2nds and 1 3rd
Konecny (and Sam Studnicka and a 3rd) went for Sarnia's 1st rounder (Chmelevski), Chase Campbell (plug in forward), 5 2nds, 3 3rds, and 2 5ths

You're probably looking at someone's first round pick along with 3 2nds and 2 3rds. You can probably bumped that up to another body (18 yr old) and 2 more seconds if you package him with Gordeev. That's being optimistic. It could be lower. Seems like prices are a little less steep compared to other years but who knows.

Looking at who has the picks and the players to give up (or are willing to give up) he'll probably either go to London or Ottawa IF something happens.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I really hope that was sarcasm.

The last two similar trades were Konecny and Thomas. I'm including all conditionals according to the database here just for simplicities sake.

Thomas went for Hamilton's 1st rounder (McMichael), 4 2nds and 1 3rd
Konecny (and Sam Studnicka and a 3rd) went for Sarnia's 1st rounder (Chmelevski), Chase Campbell (plug in forward), 5 2nds, 3 3rds, and 2 5ths

You're probably looking at someone's first round pick along with 3 2nds and 2 3rds. You can probably bumped that up to another body (18 yr old) and 2 more seconds if you package him with Gordeev. That's being optimistic. It could be lower. Seems like prices are a little less steep compared to other years but who knows.

Looking at who has the picks and the players to give up (or are willing to give up) he'll probably either go to London or Ottawa IF something happens.
I would hope for a few additional conditionals regarding Gordeev playing as an OA if he were included, but what you're mentioning sounds reasonable.

Reactions: hockjock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->