GDT: Flames vs Canucks in Calgary Oct 6/2018 8:00 PM MT ( CBC, SN360, CITY, SNW / Fan960)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Had we known that Dube and Czarnik were mainstays, its likely Bennett would've been traded this off-season. He's done after this season as a Flame though, and I do agree his talent is wasted on the 4th line, but its not as if he's played better than Dube or Neal (and there is no chance he is a center either).

He's played just as well as Dube. I personally want them together because their speed would kill other teams.

Disclaimer: I don't dislike Ryan as a player, I think he is fine, I just don't think he should be getting 15 minutes of ice-time especially over other players. He should be on our 4th line behind Bennett. Bennett at 12, Ryan down to 10 would be perfect for me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Geoff Ward MVP. He seems like he knows what he’s doing.

I think Ward gives them a few different looks and options for how to run the PP. When they look bad, it's the players failing to utilize the right one in the right situation. That goes for entries as well as in-zone play.

If he's a good PP coach, they should get better and better at recognition through practice and coaching. We shall see.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Sam Bennett with 7 minutes. Really? I thought Peters was in the business of developing young players

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's played just as well as Dube. I personally want them together because their speed would kill other teams.

Disclaimer: I don't dislike Ryan as a player, I think he is fine, I just don't think he should be getting 15 minutes of ice-time especially over other players. He should be on our 4th line behind Bennett. Bennett at 12, Ryan down to 10 would be perfect for me.

If Dube is shifted to center it could happen, but I don't think that is the plan for this year anyways since they already have a crap tone of natural centers on this team.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sam Bennett with 7 minutes. Really? I thought Peters was in the business of developing young players

I mean Valimaki got 13 minutes and Dube and Czarnik got a lot of minutes as well. but yeah, that 4th line was hardly played tonight.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Our PP looks like a mini break out. Four guys come to the blue line. One guy has the puck (the D or Johnny). One guy is the left, one on the right and one in the middle. And then there is someone in front. The guy with the puck tries to find the open pass as each guy goes at a different pace to confuse the D. Very interesting

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I mean Valimaki got 13 minutes and Dube and Czarnik got a lot of minutes as well. but yeah, that 4th line was hardly played tonight.
Czarnik turns 26 soon. Hardly a youngster.

That whole third line looked ineffective tonight. I'm not sure what the end goal here is with Bennett and Janko

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'll give Peters some slack right now for barely playing the 4th line until he can get comfortable with them like he is with Ryan and others, but it's super frustrating right now. I think if we can get out to an early multi-goal lead he'd play them more, but these past two games we've been trailing or tied for a lot of the time, also powerplays.

Neal is also a decent cycler, I'd like to see Bennett-Dube-Neal or Dube-Bennett-Neal for the third line. Bennett is a good face-off guy and we haven't actually seen what he can do as a center with actual linemates.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Weren't there people calling for his firing just a couple days ago?

Our fan base is pretty overreactive. The improvement from game 1 to 2 gives me hope. I was at the game. Pretty outstanding by the Flames. Smith has looked shaky two straight. Hopefully he round into form.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Czarnik turns 26 soon. Hardly a youngster.

That whole third line looked ineffective tonight. I'm not sure what the end goal here is with Bennett and Janko

Janko likely gonna develop on that 4th line and ulimately top out as a good #3 center. As for Bennett, he's done in Calgary after this season. Pushed down the depth chart and probably pretty demoralized at this point.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Best news of all though, we don't have to see Petterson's parents during breaks 90 f***ing times anymore for the upcoming games.

Like f*** off Sportsnet with that bullshit.

Reactions: Flamesfan62

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Janko likely gonna develop on that 4th line and ulimately top out as a good #3 center. As for Bennett, he's done in Calgary after this season. Pushed down the depth chart and probably pretty demoralized at this point.

I disagree. I think he’s playing some of his best hockey. Give him 20 games to simplify his game and get his confidence. Then give him a shot with Dube-Neal. Because Ultimately Ryan is a guy you want anchoring your 4th line I think

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For those bitching and crying about the 4th line.... The reasons they're playing so little is special teams and the fact that we've been tied or trailing in both games.

We've been down about 65 minutes in 2 games and leading for about 7 minutes. We've also have had 13 powerplay opportunities thus far. Those 2 things lead to your more offensive players getting more ice time

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Only two games in, but Ryan & Neal are starting to look like Stajan & Brouwer to me. Slow, ineffective and not really a fit within the line up.

Czarnik looks about as good as Bennett, its hilarous that one is getting top 6 minutes and PP time while the other gets 1-2 shifts a period.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Only two games in, but Ryan & Neal are starting to look like Stajan & Brouwer to me. Slow, ineffective and not really a fit within the line up.

Czarnik looks about as good as Bennett, its hilarous that one is getting top 6 minutes and PP time while the other gets 1-2 shifts a period.

BT is really a genius at FA signing. He finds the worst possible.

But on the positive side, Monahan, Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Lindholm look like stars. That's a pretty good core.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe Bennett isn't as good as you think he is?

No, it's not a maybe. He is not as good as many Flames fans think. His time to be a top player is over. He is noticeably behind the other young studs, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk and Lindholm.

Just glad we stole Lindholm from the Canes and forget about Bennett. He is closer to Lazar than the top 4.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Game winning goal
1046897642_slide.jpg

(Photo by Gerry Thomas/NHLI via Getty Images)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrano and TychoFan

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
For those complaining about Prout (warranted), Stone has been just as bad if not worse this entire time, stop giving him a free ride from scrutiny, he is atrocious out there.
IMO Stone had a good game. Prout on the other hand was gross, man. Hope to see Andersson out there soon.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Some observations and thoughts:

- Noah Hanifin needs to be better, he was good on Wednesday but struggled today(he will get better.)

- Mike Smith needs to be better, he made some timely saves(mostly that glove save) but he needs to be better(I am worried about the goaltending.)

- Ryan is getting to much ice time, he made mistakes that had Bennett made them, Bennett would have been benched.

- Neal needs to be better.

- Love Prout as a person(seems like a very nice guy) but he should only play when needed as a enforcer.

- I think this is the last season for Sam Bennett as a Flame, he is buried on the team and not getting enough ice time(I think it is only matter of time before Sam Bennett asks for a trade, he will do it quietly because he is the kind of guy that does not want that kind of attention, I think he gets packaged for a goaltender.) The Friedman thing about the Flames worried that trading Bennett is another St. Louis / savage situation and instead just burying him is absolutely criminal is true, I think he gets traded not because the teams wants to but because Sam Bennett wants to.

Reactions: lightstorm and Rubi

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't get complaining about Ryan's ice time and making claims someone else would he benched for mistakes.

Ryan was 7th in TOI among forwards, the only top 9 forwards with less were Czarnik and Dube. His TOI was probably a little high due to all our PP time. Also, we were waining and our PP was completely ineffective until the poor call on his disallowed goal, but from that moment on our PP started playing with more confidence and a chip on there shoulder.

Where is Tue proof of Peters benching anyone, especially Bennett for mistakes? The 4th line is playing less because we've been behind in games and there has been a ridiculous number of PP opportunities. In those circumstances 4th liners always lose ice time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad