GDT: Flames vs Canucks in Calgary Oct 6/2018 8:00 PM MT ( CBC, SN360, CITY, SNW / Fan960)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
experienced at faceoffs and being good at faceoffs are two completely different things and Ryan is very good at faceoffs
True. To be honest I wouldn't really have an issue with Bennett-Backlund-Ryan on the 2nd PP with Neal and Hanifin.
I like Bennett's drive and ability to go after loose pucks along the boards. He really fights for those pucks. I also prefer Hanifin over Brodie on the PP. I think Hanifin has better hands.

I could see something like:

Bennett
Ryan-Backlund-Neal
Hanifin

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
LMFAO.... we'd have to package a hell of alot with Bennett to land Nylander

I never commented on the other piece, it should be obvious it would need to be a substantial add.

My point being that TO seems like they are set on not paying Nylander what he feels he’s worth in comparison to Mathews and Marner. If they can’t get a number that works, it might make them more willing to deal him. If TO got a young player like Bennett with upside and who’s going to be a whole hell of a lot cheaper and perhaps Andersson or our 1st rounder, it might be enough to get them to consider it. We also know Treliving has kicked tires on Nylander so it wouldn’t shock me considering it is appearing more likely that Bennett could be dealt at some point.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I really wouldn't want Nylander on the team. I think he's good when he has the puck but without it he's fairly useless. He's soft.... just like his Dad.
They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I believe that. Look at our own Chucky.

Plus, how inflated are his numbers playing for the last couple of years on a team with Matthews, Marner, and JVR?
I also don't think he's worth what he's asking for.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly folks. This is what happens when you have a deep team. Not everyone gets ice time.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
You have to remember its been just two games and they are still trying to build chemistry on the lines. The 4th line may have generated some more dangerous chances, but we have to call a spade a spade here, they never finish them, they have no history of finishing them either. But, that 3rd line also had some good scoring chances, but we were unable to convert, but unlike Bennett & Janko, Neal and Ryan have shown they can produce at a higher level.

Creation of chances is great, but it's not good enough, they need to show they can finish.

Is this a joke?

Bennett's best season was 36 points in 77 games as a rookie. Given sub-par linemates ever since.

Ryan's best season was 38 points in 80 games as a 30 year old. Leeched off Carolina's best players.

Ryan also finished off as many chances as Bennet has so far, with double the ice time and PP time.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Czarnik has been better than Bennett and Ryan. He's also got one of the best shots on the team. I don't really know why Bennett needs to be on PP2 he's never really been good at it. I'd prefer to just move him to 3LW and make Dube the 3C. I think that line would be a great cycle line.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik
Bennett-Dube-Neal
Frolik-Jankowski-Ryan (Ryan takes faceoffs)

Gio-Brodie
Hanafin-Andersson
Valimaki-Stone

Reactions: Bounces R Way

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Bennett would look good with Horvath and Boeser, replacing Baertchi.

Wonder if Van has anything Tre likes.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Czarnik has been better than Bennett and Ryan. He's also got one of the best shots on the team. I don't really know why Bennett needs to be on PP2 he's never really been good at it. I'd prefer to just move him to 3LW and make Dube the 3C. I think that line would be a great cycle line.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik
Bennett-Dube-Neal
Frolik-Jankowski-Ryan (Ryan takes faceoffs)

Gio-Brodie
Hanafin-Andersson
Valimaki-Stone
I like that a lot. I think I’d switch Neal and Czarnik though. The 3rd line could use a little more creativity

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I like that a lot. I think I’d switch Neal and Czarnik though. The 3rd line could use a little more creativity
Maybe. I like Tkachuk and Czarnik together a lot they have a lot of chemistry.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Maybe. I like Tkachuk and Czarnik together a lot they have a lot of chemistry.

This team has scored 9 goals in 2 games; and easily could have scored 12-15.

Not sure why we’re looking to reinvent the wheel here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wouldn't depth mean that we can roll our lines more evenly?

The lines are being rolled pretty even, the difference has been the increase in Specialty teams. This team has been on the PP or PK for more than and a half of hockey in two games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Me too, just not sure where Neal would fit the best
There is this right handed centerman that centered Skinner for 61 goals the last couple years, that might be a good fit. But unfortunately not all chemistry is magical and instant.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wouldn't depth mean that we can roll our lines more evenly?
When you are constantly on the PP and trailing in games, it makes it more difficult to roll lines. Depth doesn't mean you can rely on the 4th line to be a scoring line.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
There is this right handed centerman that centered Skinner for 61 goals the last couple years, that might be a good fit. But unfortunately not all chemistry is magical and instant.
I wonder what kind of chemistry Stajan would’ve had with Skinner and Williams....

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I personally wouldn't want to go for Nylander. Probably would be a Lindholm+ or Hamonic+++ deal, and with Nylanders contract demands? Yeah, I think our RW issue has been fixed at this point so no thanks.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Unless there's a possible trade for a goalie that would make sense, we should probably just stand pat for a while.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I personally wouldn't want to go for Nylander. Probably would be a Lindholm+ or Hamonic+++ deal, and with Nylanders contract demands? Yeah, I think our RW issue has been fixed at this point so no thanks.
They’d want Tkachuk. Either way, contract wise it would boil down to one or the other, unless one of them can play net.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Nylander was a need for the organization before Lindholm, Neal and Czarnik came along. Top that off with Frolik as the 4th line RW and you don't really see a fit for Nylander, especially at the price that the Leafs are going to be asking for.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The lines are being rolled pretty even,

Eh,

5v5 TOI
Jankowski: 12.57
Ryan: 20.72
Bennett: 13.25
Dube: 19.68
Neal: 24.48

Expected Goals %
Jankowski: 46.05
Bennett: 58.59
Ryan: 31.4
Dube: 32.79
Neal: 56.94% (his numbers with Ryan-Dube are awful but his numbers away from them are great)

So even though Jankowski and Bennett are the pair that have actually been reasonably above water, they're getting more than 50 percent less ice time at 5 on 5 than Dube and Ryan.

The numbers may change as the lines develop chemistry, but at this point neither Ryan nor Dube's resumes have any reason to indicate we should force this chemistry.

Ryan was most likely signed to be our #4 center with the ability to fill in as a #3 in case of injury to Bennett and Jankowski. Instead he has become our David Desharnais in terms of a soft, mildly skilled player getting way too much icetime with a stellar winger (just as Desharnais had Pacioretty, Ryan got Skinner and now Neal).

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
This team has scored 9 goals in 2 games; and easily could have scored 12-15.

Not sure why we’re looking to reinvent the wheel here.

They played two games against arguably the worst defense in the league. Bottom 3 for sure.

I'd wait to see how they fare against Nashville and StL before getting all complacent.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Eh,

5v5 TOI
Jankowski: 12.57
Ryan: 20.72
Bennett: 13.25
Dube: 19.68
Neal: 24.48

Expected Goals %
Jankowski: 46.05
Bennett: 58.59
Ryan: 31.4
Dube: 32.79
Neal: 56.94% (his numbers with Ryan-Dube are awful but his numbers away from them are great)

So even though Jankowski and Bennett are the pair that have actually been reasonably above water, they're getting more than 50 percent less ice time at 5 on 5 than Dube and Ryan.

The numbers may change as the lines develop chemistry, but at this point neither Ryan nor Dube's resumes have any reason to indicate we should force this chemistry.

Ryan was most likely signed to be our #4 center with the ability to fill in as a #3 in case of injury to Bennett and Jankowski. Instead he has become our David Desharnais in terms of a soft, mildly skilled player getting way too much icetime with a stellar winger (just as Desharnais had Pacioretty, Ryan got Skinner and now Neal).

Not worth looking at possession numbers over a two game period. That would be folly, and as a statistic faux pas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad