Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Derek Ryan [3 years, $3.125M]

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Rising salary cap and the fact that we are probably using him as a 3rd liner means the salary is very reasonable. People wants depth then cry when we pay market value for it, are we still expecting 3rd liners to be paid pennies? Dont love the deal but lets not make it sound like we got robbed here

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
3 mil today isn’t 3 mil from 2014. It’s a short term deal too. I love the versatility this adds to the bottom 6 so long as Peters doesn’t overuse him like he did Carolina but I’m sure treliving will be clear on that.

Two RHS shots added to the bottom 6 with the versatility to play wing or center. Exactly what we needed, call it a day Brad. I like this lineup

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik
Magniapane-Ryan-Brouwer/Lazar

That line up seems to have the same issue as last year that if the top line isn’t going there is very little scoring.

I can’t see Ryan reproducing his numbers last year with 4th line minutes and Brouwer instead of Skinner.

Putting an AHLer with Bennett-Jankowski doesn’t seem like they will do much more.

We saw the 3M line lost the magic they had and with the other lines will again have to be dragged down with defensive zone starts/match-ups.

The Lindholm upgrade should help reduce the lumps the top line goes on but that forward group is far from being good enough to contend.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'd like this deal a lot more if it was two years. And a million less.

Guessing he'll be on the third line with Jankowski and Bennett. Can't be any worse than Hathaway was. Still would like to see the Flames be able to fill that position from within rather than paying a premium for a guy in his thirties to do it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Actually not true, Brouwer had a career year and hot playoff when they signed him.

He is just not a good player. BT failed to evaluated the talent properly.
Career scoring year, but from a possession perspective he'd been falling off for like 3-4 years.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
On TSN Ryan was interviewed briefly before he got disconnected (I think it was intentional as Tavares news was breaking lol), Duffy asked him where the Flames told him he would be playing. The call basically died here but he did say it would be in the middle 6 and they see him as moving up and down the lineup, then he was cut off. As Peters did with the Canes, our combos will be all over the map I am guessing.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
On TSN Ryan was interviewed briefly before he got disconnected (I think it was intentional as Tavares news was breaking lol), Duffy asked him where the Flames told him he would be playing. The call basically died here but he did say it would be in the middle 6 and they see him as moving up and down the lineup, then he was cut off. As Peters did with the Canes, our combos will be all over the map I am guessing.

Could see him being a rw on the 2nd line, but I would rather try Bennett in that position. Otherwise, I think he'll mostly be a 3rd liner.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Anyone else feeling real ‘meh’ about this team right now?

I dont know. I think BT tried hard. Give him the credit. He made the biggest trade of the off season so far.

Only a fool would have expected anything from the UFA

Overall, I think the changes were positive. The season is still going to depend on Smith which is pretty scary if you think about it.

And the development of Bennett and Jankowski is critical. If they take the necessary steps, the Flames is a playoff team. If they do not, do not expect much.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Could see him being a rw on the 2nd line, but I would rather try Bennett in that position. Otherwise, I think he'll mostly be a 3rd liner.

I could to and slide Frolik over to LW. That would be a really good shutdown line and would allow us to move Tkachuk up in the lineup.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Derek Ryan is only overpaid because of his track record, if he even puts up 30 points a year for the next 3 and never reaches the 38 he did last year it's still a good contract. The cap is $80 mil, the average salary just based on 22 players on a team and the cap is $3.6 mil, I know it's not that simple, but with the cap at $80 mil $3mil for a 30-40 point guy is decent.

I mean if he doesn't come close to his offensive numbers yeah it looks bad, let's see what he does in his first year before we **** all over this. When looking at the cap, it isn't that much money.

Edit: I should say for the record that I don't like this deal either, but it's no where near as horrific as Brouwers or other contracts.

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'll try not to hate this man because of his contract, and hopefully I don't have to. I just have very little trust in Treliving and our pro scouts when it comes to free agent signings.
Also don't really like the fact that our brand new head coach apparently has a lot of influence on trades and signings.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'll try not to hate this man because of his contract, and hopefully I don't have to. I just have very little trust in Treliving and our pro scouts when it comes to free agent signings.
Also don't really like the fact that our brand new head coach apparently has a lot of influence on trades and signings.

If you don’t trust Tre, maybe trust Peters?? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad