Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Derek Ryan [3 years, $3.125M]

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Good news everyone.

We're also the team signing Czarnik that seems like a good low risk high reward acquisition.

Reactions: snipetype

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
When he says "left money on the table", let's hope it was a lot of money he left. Because if there was a 20+ team bidding war for a 3rd/4th liner, just think of how stupid this contract is going to look.

Really not looking forward to seeing how overpaid he will be.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
When he says "left money on the table", let's hope it was a lot of money he left. Because if there was a 20+ team bidding war for a 3rd/4th liner, just think of how stupid this contract is going to look.

Really not looking forward to seeing how overpaid he will be.

Literally what I said on the free agent board XD.

Seriously though, Treliving is not known for his amazing deals at free agency. If Ryan is 2.5 million or less, I'll be OK with the signing (though I have a bad feeling he'll be paid Stajan like numbers).

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Not sure if Bob is speculating. The 3 million AAV isn't confirmed, but that is looking to be an awful contract if so.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't understand paying him over $3M. I feel like that's one of those where whether you like the player or not, you have to let the other teams be the ones to make the financial mistake.

That said, the guy put up 38 points last year. If you feel that that's his level and that's what he's going to bring here for three seasons, it's not unfair value. If he was a guy who had put up 38 points for 5 years, it would be seen as a fair deal. The only difference is track record.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don’t mind it. We need a 4th line C. I’m not even sure Janko or Bennett are 3Cs yet.

As long as this is our only “big” move than I’m fine with it.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If he plays third line minutes and has opportunities to produce I'm fine with 3.5 x 3. If he's on the fourth line and notches 15 points or some shit while playing nine minutes a night this is a waste of money.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Guess Treliving didn’t learn anything from the Brouwer contract, and at least Brouwer had a track record. This contract already looks really ugly.

Ryan is the complete opposite of Brouwer.

Excellent possession stats and scoring chance rates and his eP/60 last season (1.59) would've ranked 5th on the Flames.

He'll provide great secondary scoring and will help on the PP

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ryan is the complete opposite of Brouwer.

Excellent possession stats and scoring chance rates and his eP/60 last season (1.59) would've ranked 5th on the Flames.

He'll provide great secondary scoring and will help on the PP

Will agree you with on this one. Brouwer contract looked terrible from the beginning, and the analytics could back that up. At least this guy has the underlying stats to provide a cushion. If he can put up 35 points on the 3rd line, I'll be able to stomach a 3 million AAV.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I sure hope you’re correct. Ryan’s lack of any real track record scares me.

His track record could also prove to be the reason why the Flames could end up getting good value out of this contract. If he had a track record of 5-6 previous years with the same type of season that he put up last year, he probably would've gotten north of $4M per season and nobody would've batted an eye.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
3 x 3.25 I am guessing. My thoughts on it will depend on how he does this season. I'll give him a chance. Probably 3RW with some centre duties such as faceoffs on the Bennett/Jankowski line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad