Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Derek Ryan [3 years, $3.125M]

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Roussel, a 3rd/4th liner got 3.25 over 4 years. Beagle a 4th liner got 3 million over 4 years. So it's on par with those, he'll even a better deal than those IMO

I am not sure other bad deals make this a good one.

I don’t think it is terrible just more money than a guy with one ok season getting favourable playing time and line mates should get.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I am not sure other bad deals make this a good one.

I don’t think it is terrible just more money than a guy with one ok season getting favourable playing time and line mates should get.
its this thing called MARKET VALUE, you might want to educate yourself on what it means

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
its this thing called MARKET VALUE, you might want to educate yourself on what it means

Just because it is MARKET VALUE on the first day in free agency doesn’t make it a good deal.

Plenty of terrible deals have been signed on July 1st that are in line with market value.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Contract looks brutal, but if he’s put in a position alongside Bennett/Jankowski, he’s got a good chance to replicate his numbers from last year. Thing is, there are definitely other players that would exceed those numbers if put in the same position.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Contract looks brutal, but if he’s put in a position alongside Bennett/Jankowski, he’s got a good chance to replicate his numbers from last year. Thing is, there are definitely other players that would exceed those numbers if put in the same position.

Like who?

I think it's a stupid deal money wise but Ryan is better than anybody the Flames have at this point on the bottom 6.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
That's a pretty yucky contract if he disappoints...

Personally, I generally apply the 100k dollars/point kind of deal. If he puts up 35 points, it looks fine (I admit my reaction late last night was a bit of an overreaction, but Tavares watch was f***ing killing me at that point). Idk if he can do it with Calgaries bottom six, but at least brouwer won't have to take 4 face offs in a row and lose ALL of them now...

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Started mentally preparing myself when I saw the Reaves dollar figure, hope he works out.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Like who?

I think it's a stupid deal money wise but Ryan is better than anybody the Flames have at this point on the bottom 6.
I should have prefaced that I only think Ryan even reaches that production because Bennett and Jankowski will take steps forward this year.

Thinking that way, I could see Mangiapane putting up ~35 points with Jankowski and Bennett. I didn’t say that it had to be within the organization either.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
RIP table.

Not too thrilled about the dollar amount, but I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

I dunno, if they use him as Versteeg’s replacement I suppose he could this money. I feel like it’s a pile of money for a guy his age who really has only played 2 seasons in the league.

What upsets me is we should have younger, cheaper guys coming to take the spot Peters is probably going to give Ryan. I also don’t see him getting 40pts with us. I anticipate he will get 20-25.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
The amount of fans who are upset with this is super confusing.

Only thing to possibly worry about with this contract is that he doesn't repeat his numbers from last season.

If he does, this contract will look excellent. Elite possession player, elite scoring chance rates, elite faceoff ability, and he should be good for 30-35 points.

If Ryan had 3-4 years of this type of play prior to being UFA, his contract would've easily been $4M+ and no one would've batted an eye.

We just upgraded our bottom 6/top 9 significantly and at potentially a good price.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I dunno, if they use him as Versteeg’s replacement I suppose he could this money. I feel like it’s a pile of money for a guy his age who really has only played 2 seasons in the league.

What upsets me is we should have younger, cheaper guys coming to take the spot Peters is probably going to give Ryan. I also don’t see him getting 40pts with us. I anticipate he will get 20-25.
25 points with top FO and possession numbers, would still earn a player a contract in the $3 million range

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
25 points with top FO and possession numbers, would still earn a player a contract in the $3 million range

I mean if he’s a Flame I’m sure not gonna cheer against the guy, so of course I’m gonna hope he succeeds here. I guess was counting on that we were gonna play someone cheap like Shore at 4C now that we are out of Stajan’s deal and try to sign a scoring winger for our top 6. This feels a lot to me like we signed Stajan all over again.

I just took my CBD, I’m just to chill on this and hope for the best.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I thought it would have been the fact that it appears Tre budgeted about $6 million to improve the team via free agency, if the Reaves rumours are true, and came home with Ryan and Czarnik, that would have angered you the most! On the bright side, there’s still cash to add a hidden gem, I’m calling Ennis.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Janks-Ryan
Brouwer-Lazar-Czanik
Hathaway/Foo

2nd line needs to return to form. I would prefer someone to step up to replace Frolik

Other than that, it's improved from last year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I thought it would have been the fact that it appears Tre budgeted about $6 million to improve the team via free agency, if the Reaves rumours are true, and came home with Ryan and Czarnik, that would have angered you the most! On the bright side, there’s still cash to add a hidden gem, I’m calling Ennis.

Looks like we might be getting Maroon?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
3 mil today isn’t 3 mil from 2014. It’s a short term deal too. I love the versatility this adds to the bottom 6 so long as Peters doesn’t overuse him like he did Carolina but I’m sure treliving will be clear on that.

Two RHS shots added to the bottom 6 with the versatility to play wing or center. Exactly what we needed, call it a day Brad. I like this lineup

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik
Magniapane-Ryan-Brouwer/Lazar

Bridge Janko, get lindholm in under 5 and sign Hanifin long term in the 5-6 range. 5 mil extra space for deadline deals

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
There’s rumours it could happen.

I hope not, not sure how he fits in. There’s only really a hole on the left side if they move tkachuk to 1st line RW. I’d like to see magniapane play close to full time next year. Maroon is slow too so I don’t think he’d fit with Backlund and Fro and the thought of him and janko paired together makes me throw up in my mouth a little

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
3 mil today isn’t 3 mil from 2014. It’s a short term deal too. I love the versatility this adds to the bottom 6 so long as Peters doesn’t overuse him like he did Carolina but I’m sure treliving will be clear on that.

Two RHS shots added to the bottom 6 with the versatility to play wing or center. Exactly what we needed, call it a day Brad. I like this lineup

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Czarnik
Magniapane-Ryan-Brouwer/Lazar

Bridge Janko, get lindholm in under 5 and sign Hanifin long term in the 5-6 range. 5 mil extra space for deadline deals

Line combinations

Chucky Monahan Linholm
Gaudreau Jankowski Lazar
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Ryan Lazar Czarnik

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I could see this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Frolik - Backlund - Lindholm