Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Derek Ryan [3 years, $3.125M]

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Garbage contract. Flames finally finished the Stajan contract only to sign this one. He’s overpaid for what he brings and will be overused because he’s the coaches favourite.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
If the flames could put money away for a new arena instead of free agents this team would be going somewhere besides Seattle/10th in the west

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
edit: my bad, I couldn't see the post he was replying too

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Can already tell Ryan's gonna be the whipping boy. Let's watch him play before passing judgment, I don't think this contract came at a discount but he could live up to it if he plays well.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I've seen a lot of complaints from Canes fans about Ryan being overused and the coach's favourite (I fully believe the latter), but numerically speaking he seems to be right where he should be. He was 8th on the Canes in ES TOI/GP, and 8th in PP TOI/GP. That implies 3rd line minutes with 2nd PP unit time, which isn't really an issue IMO. It's pretty standard to have a 3rd liner on your PP if you run 4F/1D rather than 3F/2D.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I believe Ryan has the best 5v5 P/60 of anybody Tre has signed over his tenure here, maybe with the exception of Raymond whose game never got going after an early injury (and who had back problems dating back to 2011)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Doing some looking around here on Derek Ryan and I've always heard that he was only in the NHL because of Peters and things like that. But, doing some research and Ryan actually led the SHL in points and won MVP honors the season before he was signed by Carolina.

Since Ryan was 28 at the time, I would bet that he had more suitors than Carolina and he likely chose the 'Canes because of Peters.

edit: Upon further research, it sounds like Derek Ryan actually almost signed with Colorado before choosing Carolina. At least two other teams (Toronto and Washington) were also in the mix.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If Ryan could be 25 point guy driving the 4th line, I'd be happy with how much he makes.

Calgary desperately needs someone who can run that line, I hope he can do it

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Ryan could be 25 point guy driving the 4th line, I'd be happy with how much he makes.

Ryan also makes me feel better about us having insurance of a temporary middle 6 centerman if one of Monahan/Backlund/Jankowski are injured for a bit.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Since Peters likes to run 4 lines, I think we will see more of a 3a/3b set-up. I really think we will see a bottom 6 of:

Bennett - Jankowski - Czarnik
Frolik - Ryan - Brouwer

Depending on the night and how they play, either of the two lines could be the 3rd line.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah Ryan was a solid signing. He still makes more than I would like, but he’s going to be a very useful player for us no doubt.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

He’s doing that, and also #2PP and #2PK. Canes fans warned us that we are not gonna like him getting top6 minutes and #1PP, but the Flames have the depth to properly utilize him as a #4C

Reactions: Sk8M8

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Ryan is the complete opposite of Brouwer.

Excellent possession stats and scoring chance rates and his eP/60 last season (1.59) would've ranked 5th on the Flames.

He'll provide great secondary scoring and will help on the PP

Going into last off-season, Ryan was my number 1 UFA target for our bottom 6.

Man has he ever lived up to my expectations. Playing absolutely phenomenal hockey

Reactions: Sk8M8 and Kahvi

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

He's already up to 23. Putting up over 30 pts with Hathaway and bread as your wingers is pretty solid.

This thread needs a bump

Yes, it does, especially after what we and canes fans said about him. Thought we were getting anchored with another Stajan contract, but he's really proven me wrong.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wasn't a big fan of the contract, but unfortunately that's the market for UFAs, it's a better deal than guys like Beagle & Roussel signed. But, now that he's a Flame, as long as we aren't in cap jail what he makes is irrelevant. I've loved his play this year for us, he's done everything we asked of him, just took him a while to get going offensively.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He’s doing that, and also #2PP and #2PK. Canes fans warned us that we are not gonna like him getting top6 minutes and #1PP, but the Flames have the depth to properly utilize him as a #4C

I loved last offseason:

Flames fans: Awesome, this guy's an upgrade on almost everyone we had in the bottom 6 last year, he was a useful signing.
Canes fans: LOLOL. Enjoy Ryan on the 1st line with Gaudreau! Hahaha. Peters' love-child.
Flames fans: I don't think this guy will spend any time really in the top 6 barring injuries.
Canes fans: Wait and see hahahaha

Turns out our depth is what makes Ryan an awesome addition; great utility player.. and I wouldn't be scared for a minute if in a pinch the guy has to move up a line or two.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wasn’t crazy about the contract, I was fine with adding Ryan. To start the season he was pretty invisible for some time, but the last couple of months I have zero complaints whatsoever. He’s been a solid addition for sure!

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I too was skeptical about this signing but Ryan just quietly goes about his business without any fanfare. Really smart player and pretty good on both sides of the puck. He’s already done better than almost any other fourth liner in the last decade for the Flames lol.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad