Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Derek Ryan [3 years, $3.125M]

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Honestly trending towards 30 points in a fourth line role while playing lots of PK time is really impressive. I agree with the logic behind having Janko play bigger minutes but Ryan is the better player as of right now.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I loved last offseason:

Flames fans: Awesome, this guy's an upgrade on almost everyone we had in the bottom 6 last year, he was a useful signing.
Canes fans: LOLOL. Enjoy Ryan on the 1st line with Gaudreau! Hahaha. Peters' love-child.
Flames fans: I don't think this guy will spend any time really in the top 6 barring injuries.
Canes fans: Wait and see hahahaha

Turns out our depth is what makes Ryan an awesome addition; great utility player.. and I wouldn't be scared for a minute if in a pinch the guy has to move up a line or two.

To be fair, Peters doesn't seem like the same coach in Calgary as he was in Carolina. No offense to the Canes, but I guess his hands were indeed tied in terms of the personnel he had at his disposal. I guess Hanifin, Ryan and Lindholm were all indeed shoehorned into odd slots in Carolina which allowed Carolina to tread water/succeed, but not the best situation for the players themselves. In Calgary, the consistency of role and position is allowing these guys to thrive.

EDIT: I think it's also worth saying, that Ryan is a great guy to have in the bottom 6 not only for his success there, but the type of mentorship he can offer the kids. I think quite a few will develop into decent face off takers and just watching Ryan do well even though he's undersized, I think that along with the Jagr training would help those guys do well.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
To be fair, Peters doesn't seem like the same coach in Calgary as he was in Carolina. No offense to the Canes, but I guess his hands were indeed tied in terms of the personnel he had at his disposal. I guess Hanifin, Ryan and Lindholm were all indeed shoehorned into odd slots in Carolina which allowed Carolina to tread water/succeed, but not the best situation for the players themselves. In Calgary, the consistency of role and position is allowing these guys to thrive.

EDIT: I think it's also worth saying, that Ryan is a great guy to have in the bottom 6 not only for his success there, but the type of mentorship he can offer the kids. I think quite a few will develop into decent face off takers and just watching Ryan do well even though he's undersized, I think that along with the Jagr training would help those guys do well.

I think this is kind of a stretch, but he probably serves as an important lesson in humility to top draft picks like Tkachuk, Hanifin, Lindholm and Monahan as a guy who too damn near the longest of roads to the NHL.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think this is kind of a stretch, but he probably serves as an important lesson in humility to top draft picks like Tkachuk, Hanifin, Lindholm and Monahan as a guy who too damn near the longest of roads to the NHL.

I don't think it's a stretch to think that if Peters sits hit crew down and gets the bottom 6 to practice face offs against the likes of Lindholm and Ryan that we'd get a huge boost in possession numbers in the bottom 6. I wouldn't be surprised if he does this already. Peters was constantly preaching the importance of face offs before the season began.

I don't disagree with your humility comment, but I don't think we have issues with the top picks getting too full of themselves. Our top players are undrafted (Gio) and a 4th round pick (Gaudreau). We also have Bennett as a top pick who is very hard on himself. If anything, with the culture we have, it's perhaps more along the lines of making sure the top picks don't push themselves too hard to the detriment of the team and themselves because they think they need to carry the mail because of the fact they were high picks.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Bump. Ryan is one point back from his career high despite playing largely the 4th line for most of the season.

Funny to go back and read the first page or two of this thread after how pivotal he's been in the 2nd half for us.

Edit: Dug into it a little more. He's played far less time this year on average too. 15:36 on average last year. 13:42 on average this year. Last year he started 65% of his shifts in the offensive zone. This year 35%. Dude is the definition of a late bloomer.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I believe Ryan has the best 5v5 P/60 of anybody Tre has signed over his tenure here, maybe with the exception of Raymond whose game never got going after an early injury (and who had back problems dating back to 2011)

At 1.79 P/60, Derek Ryan is currently producing at the same rates as:

William Nylander
Niko Hishier
Nazem Kadri
Eric Staal

What a beast.

Bump. Ryan is one point back from his career high despite playing largely the 4th line for most of the season.

Funny to go back and read the first page or two of this thread after how pivotal he's been in the 2nd half for us.

Edit: Dug into it a little more. He's played far less time this year on average too. 15:36 on average last year. 13:42 on average this year. Last year he started 65% of his shifts in the offensive zone. This year 35%. Dude is the definition of a late bloomer.

There are some players, especially two-way speed-oriented skilled centers, that IMO are better suited to defensive zone starts. It's simple really, you get about 150 feet of open ice to make a play, instead of just cycling ad nauseum with an offensive zone faceoff.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
At 1.79 P/60, Derek Ryan is currently producing at the same rates as:

William Nylander
Niko Hishier
Nazem Kadri
Eric Staal

What a beast.

There are some players, especially two-way speed-oriented skilled centers, that IMO are better suited to defensive zone starts. It's simple really, you get about 150 feet of open ice to make a play, instead of just cycling ad nauseum with an offensive zone faceoff.

Entirely true. I just think it's crazy that he's not bad on the cycle either.

Just can't think of many examples where a guys ice time drops, OFZ starts drop like his and he still produces.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I love this guy, the perfect utility player that we've been missing for years. He does everything very well, and wins faceoffs. Couldn't be happier for us and him.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Having scoring issues with your Hockey team? Can't seem to get anything out of your bottom 6? Poor results from your 3rd and 4th lines hampering an otherwise healthy and happy forward core? Call Dr Ryan and book your consultation for a depthendectomy TODAY!
-ectomy is a removal of something, and the only thing Dr. Ryan has removed is our concerns. I think it should be depthoplasty.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I love it when these old threads get bumped and some people have to eat a hearty helping of crow others look like prophetic geniuses.

I'm neither. I took the easy road and sat on the fence. ;)

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I love it when these old threads get bumped and some people have to eat a hearty helping of crow others look like prophetic geniuses.

I'm neither. I took the easy road and sat on the fence. ;)

In the back of my mind I felt that the Ryan signing was a good one, but people on this board were so viciously against it that I decided to take the middle ground and not post a hot take. I should've just gone for the hot take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad