Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Derek Ryan [3 years, $3.125M]

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Guess Treliving didn’t learn anything from the Brouwer contract, and at least Brouwer had a track record. This contract already looks really ugly.
Brouwer had a track record of piggybacking on good players and being fed way more minutes than he should have. He'd been on the decline for years when the Flames signed him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure if Bob is speculating. The 3 million AAV isn't confirmed, but that is looking to be an awful contract if so.

Bryan Rust signed a home town discount of 3.5M for 4 yrs. Rust and Ryan put up the same numbers in the last 2 yrs. It's high for a bottom 6 player but that's what the market is today.

My take:

1) This is the cost of bad drafting and lack of depth in the system
2)It's not the worst signing but I really hate the Peters connection. Especially if what Canes fans are saying is true. This is more of a Peters signing that a BT signing.
Only good thing is BT will be gone next summer if Peters is trying to redo the Canes system here and failed.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Brouwer had a track record of piggybacking on good players and being fed way more minutes than he should have. He'd been on the decline for years when the Flames signed him.

Actually not true, Brouwer had a career year and hot playoff when they signed him.

He is just not a good player. BT failed to evaluated the talent properly.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Actually not true, Brouwer had a career year and hot playoff when they signed him.

I was disappointed not just that BT made the move, but that no advisor on his staff was informed enough to know what Brouwer was as a player. That's what pro scouts are for.

That said, that isn't a Calgary issue. This is a phenomenon that no team around the league seems to be safe from. Everyone has pro scouts, yet every GM is prone to acquiring guys whose reputation exceeds their ability, as is obvious to anyone actually watching.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Count down the days until Stajan's contract ends and then give out an even worse one to a worse player. Calgary Flames? Calgary Flames.

Has buyout written all over it. Gotta say my patience is starting to wear thin on Treliving.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Factually incorrect, Brouwer had 3 better years than his last year in St. Louis and had been a career 40 point player for 5 seasons.

I agree he sucks and I don't want him anywhere near this team, but you don't need to make things up to dog him, he's crap on his own.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Factually incorrect, Brouwer had 3 better years than his last year in St. Louis and had been a career 40 point player for 5 seasons.

I agree he sucks and I don't want him anywhere near this team, but you don't need to make things up to dog him, he's crap on his own.

Oh yeah , 3 f***ing points difference compared to his career high in the regular season and a playoff when he just had one less goal than Tarasenko and it's not a career year?

I hate Bouwer but I do not make thing up buddy. You on the other hand do not need to alter fact to crap on him. He is crap on his own.

Also, I was replying to the guy that said "He'd been on the decline for years when the Flames signed him". He was not. He was a the peak of his career. He was not very good but BT failed to see that.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Oh yeah , 3 ****ing points difference compared to his career high in the regular season and a playoff when he just had one less goal than Tarasenko and it's not a career year?

I hate Bouwer but I do not make thing up buddy. You on the other hand do not need to alter fact to crap on him. He is crap on his own.

Also, I was replying to the guy that said "He'd been on the decline for years when the Flames signed him". He was not. He was a the peak of his career. He was not very good but BT failed to see that.

I mean you're getting upset at me for point out facts.

Like I am negative I admit it, but you bring everything to a whole other level when it comes to negativity and the Flames. I don't think I have seen one post from you that had anything positive or even neutral when it comes to the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Count down the days until Stajan's contract ends and then give out an even worse one to a worse player. Calgary Flames? Calgary Flames.

Has buyout written all over it. Gotta say my patience is starting to wear thin on Treliving.
Talk about overreacting. I don't like the deal either, but even if he is gifted offensive zone starts like in Carolina, if he puts up 30+ points $3 million is still an average contract.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I mean you're getting upset at me for point out facts.

Like I am negative I admit it, but you bring everything to a whole other level when it comes to negativity and the Flames. I don't think I have seen one post from you that had anything positive or even neutral when it comes to the Flames.

That's an absolute lie but it's OK. Keep on spreading faked news and the hate.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The real melts will start when Peters has DR on the first PP unit.
If he does, it will be for a small amount of time like it was in Carolina. The way fans cry about a guy that was 8th in ES and PP TOI is hilarious to me.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
To be honest I'm a bit ambivalent about this signing. No big feelings either way.
This signing isn't going to make or break the team. No sense getting in a lather about what he may or may not do or what Peters may or may not do. Let's just wait and see.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think if used properly it could be an ok signing but I don’t trust the team to use him in the proper role. If he is used as the 3rd line center taking difficult match-ups and allowing Backlund to be more of a traditional 2nd line center and Jankoswki the 4th line centre I think it could be ok.

But it seems much more likely to be a dud contract than a good one.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Another useless plug, as long as he not getting too much PP time, it should be ok.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I don't understand paying him over $3M. I feel like that's one of those where whether you like the player or not, you have to let the other teams be the ones to make the financial mistake.

That said, the guy put up 38 points last year. If you feel that that's his level and that's what he's going to bring here for three seasons, it's not unfair value. If he was a guy who had put up 38 points for 5 years, it would be seen as a fair deal. The only difference is track record.

Didnt Canes fans say Peters force-fed him offensive minutes with skilled guys like Skinner?

Peters is going to over-utilize him, you just know it.

Might be a reason why he "left money on the table"

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
DR signs for 3 years at $3.125 mil AAV with Flames

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
$3.125???

Hard to think others were offering more than that as that seems like an overpay.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
$3.125???

Hard to think others were offering more than that as that seems like an overpay.

No matter how he did it, the guy almost scored 40 points last season.
Plays down the middle.
Has elite possession numbers.

There's a reason teams wanted the guy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
$3.125???

Roussel, a 3rd/4th liner got 3.25 over 4 years. Beagle a 4th liner got 3 million over 4 years. So it's on par with those, he'll even a better deal than those IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad