Flames 'New' Arena II - 'No it's yours, I insist'

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The sad part is this could have all been accomplished 2-3 years ago and the Flames could be in their new arena by 2020-21. Oh well better late than never and council getting on board was the right decision.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You think that season ticket holders will spend their extra 2-10K on 1000 more dinners and movie tickets? That money will leave the city in the form of Vacations and purchases. Calgary has no alternative to the Flames. There's nothing else to do within city limits, especially without an arena.
1000 more dinners? It's extremely easy to blow $100 on dinner in this city, so even at the upper 10k you're referring to, that's 100 dinners (easily done) on the lower end, and 30-50 if you're eating at nice restaurants. Purchases probably put just as much money toward the local economy as the Flames do, since you're talking about an organization where the bulk of the money is spent on players, most of whom spend the offseason elsewhere, and half of the regular season in other cities as well.

There's also plenty of money to be spent on theatre, concerts, festivals, breweries, and other shit. If you think the Flames are the only game in town for entertainment you've just got sports tunnel vision.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
ok I am reading the infograph and read that part about the 155.1 mill in facility fees. Now is this and extra tax on tickets or part of the ticket price?? or is that just a better way for them to say ticket tax??

Also does the edmonton arena have an infograph like we do that i could look? I tried but failed to find anything useful

I am assuming it is a full on ticket tax. If I recall the discussions I had with others correctly, face value of the ticket is shared with the NHL. A facility fee would not have to be shared with the NHL and could be "remitted" directly to the city at the full value of the collected fee.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I’m not going to any Flames games this year guys. Instead, I am eating steak for EVERY meal.

Do you know how much steak you could get for $10K? My lazy calculations showed approximately 3 pounds of steak per day for a year at an average of $9 per pound. Co-op is currently selling AA striploin halves aged for 14 days for $7.99 per pound (not the greatest of cuts, but still acceptable cut). IIRC, ribeye goes for around $30 ish per pound, so a pound of ribeye a day is also doable.

Crazy tangent... does anyone know people who suck at BBQing and would burn hamburgers in the most brutal of ways. Then they'd tell you that they were just making them hockey puck style as if you were an idiot of the highest regard?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
So... should we all chip in a get a box in the new arena together?

"Reserved for Calgary Flames HF Board Users" ... has a ring to it

Reactions: DirtDiver

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
$10K in beef comes out to about 26.5 pounds per game at an average of $9 per pound.

$10K of lobster is about 23-24 lobster tails per game at approx $10 per tail.

The cap savings of 2.33MM for Stone amounts to 233K lobster tails at $10 each or 258,888 pounds of beef at $9 per pound.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
$10K in beef comes out to about 26.5 pounds per game at an average of $9 per pound.

$10K of lobster is about 23-24 lobster tails per game at approx $10 per tail.

The cap savings of 2.33MM for Stone amounts to 233K lobster tails at $10 each or 258,888 pounds of beef at $9 per pound.

Can't tell its the offseason around here at all lol

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad