Flames 'New' Arena II - 'No it's yours, I insist'

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Fake news, loans/city taxes, 33% or 52%, West Village, Victoria Park, Nenshi is liar, King is a car sales man.

Also based on the last thread I learned that because I’m on the Flames side, I am not really from Calgary :sarcasm:

Aug 3, 2010
Fake news, loans/city taxes, 33% or 52%, West Village, Victoria Park, Nenshi is liar, King is a car sales man.

Also based on the last thread I learned that because IÂ’m on the Flames side, I am not really from Calgary :sarcasm:

I honestly just don't believe you can be a Calgary taxpayer and still support the Flames so much. It's not just *your* contribution, but everyone around you - I'm not telling you not to buy season tickets and own a signed jersey of every player, I'm asking you to not do it with my cash.
Furthermore, CSEC has proven over and over again in the last couple of weeks that they stand firm with regards to an "us versus them" mentality, "them" being Calgary citizens and their money and their resources. Demands such as "the City should pay for pay-duty police" and "free transit to/from venue on Flames' nights" are ridiculous.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Regular on the Sabres board checking in.

Granted, I'm not as close to this matter as the posters here are, so by necessity I'm on the outside looking in. And what I'm about to say may not be popular...but when has that ever stopped me before? :rolly:

If the Flames want a new arena, they can pay for it their own damned selves! Why should the citizens of Calgary be held hostage in order to get their precious new arena built...and now with NHL commish Gary Bettman joining on the side of these who would squeeze the stone of Calgarians, Albertans and all Canadians(because, basically, any money to build the arena will need investments from the city, provincial and federal governments). The bottom line is this: The vast majority of Calgarians will NEVER set foot in that new arena, unless it's for a service-sector job that doesn't pay all that well-even with tips(and I speak from experience; I work such a job). AND it takes away money that can be used to benefit all Calgarians. It's neo-liberal city planning at its worst, and way too many cities have fallen for it; Detroit, Cleveland, etc.

Deadspin noted today(9/28) that Bettman gave interviews to the Herald and the Sun that essentially said vote mayor Naheed Nenshi out in mid-October, or the Flames get snuffed out and it'll be Nenshi's fault. My response, to quote The Princess Bride: "Bye! Have fun storming the castle!" Nenshi's wasn't that funny, but he was quoted by the Sun's Rick Bell as saying this to Bettman in a meeting the two had(where Bettman told Nenshi that if the negotiations were botched the Flames would leave and it would destroy the city): "That would be an awful outcome but it's not going to destroy my city. He intimated it is the end of a political career if you lose a hockey team."

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Flames no longer in NHL top 10
Earlier this week, King said the Flames are no longer among the NHL's top 10 revenue-earning teams.

Nenshi said Thursday that's true — the team is actually 11th in the 31-team league.

He said with additional revenues from a new arena, the Edmonton Oilers have traded places with the Flames.

The Oilers now sit in 10th spot.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/city-arena-nenshi-bettman-1.4312627

not all doom and gloom. another swing and a miss for Ken

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Flames no longer in NHL top 10
Earlier this week, King said the Flames are no longer among the NHL's top 10 revenue-earning teams.

Nenshi said Thursday that's true — the team is actually 11th in the 31-team league.

He said with additional revenues from a new arena, the Edmonton Oilers have traded places with the Flames.

The Oilers now sit in 10th spot.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/city-arena-nenshi-bettman-1.4312627

not all doom and gloom. another swing and a miss for Ken
How is it a swing and a miss when it was accurate? Since they are not a top 10 team in revenue they receive revenue sharing rather than paying into it. Which is exactly what he said. You're just reaching to shit all over King at this point in time.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Mostly because the way King expressed it was like he was trying to say we were one of the bottom teams and woe is us.

I though only the bottom half of teams got the cheques, not everyone outside the top 10

Nightrain

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary
I was reading up on the Bombardier vs Boeing dispute today and one guy said "currently the clearest way to maximize profit is to socialize the costs and to privatize the gains". While this is clearly true in the highly subsidized airline industry , I thought this sounds strangely familiar.

If Canadian Natural Resources brings so much in taxes, jobs and wealth to the city shouldn't we build them an office tower at taxpayer expense?

That said, I think there is a true benefit to the city and citizens of Calgary from the Flames and some non returnable funds should be paid, just no where near what Ken King and the owners are looking for.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Mostly because the way King expressed it was like he was trying to say we were one of the bottom teams and woe is us.

I though only the bottom half of teams got the cheques, not everyone outside the top 10
Well if we are #11 and receiving revenue sharing, then it would be outside of the top 10 wouldn't it? And King never made it sound like they were a bottom team, that was how you chose to interpret it. Because if you paid attention he stated they were no longer in the top 10, not bottom half of the league, not bottom third, not near the bottom, but no longer in the top 10. Which told me they were ranked 11-15

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Bettman really is butthole.

Goes to the end of the world and more to keep a team in the f***ing desert, but just completely shits all over Calgary about getting a new arena and talks about how we might get relocated.

Sorry our city doesn't fund the team because our fans actually show up to games and support our team.

You f***ing worm.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Bettman really is butthole.

Goes to the end of the world and more to keep a team in the ****ing desert, but just completely shits all over Calgary about getting a new arena and talks about how we might get relocated.

Sorry our city doesn't fund the team because our fans actually show up to games and support our team.

You ****ing worm.
The situations aren't remotely comparable. This is more like Atlanta, Winnipeg and Quebec City and not at all like Arizona, because wait for it..... they have an arena :banghead:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
How is it a swing and a miss when it was accurate? Since they are not a top 10 team in revenue they receive revenue sharing rather than paying into it. Which is exactly what he said. You're just reaching to shit all over King at this point in time.
King was very clearly trying to imply that the Flames are having difficulty making money. An 11th place team in the league for revenue generation is not having difficulty making money. I know you like playing devil's advocate, but King and CSEC are being complete corporate scumbags in these negotiations.

They won't explicitly state they're going to move the team, but at any opportunity they will imply the threat of doing so (and then claim they said nothing of the sort later). They refuse to release their own payment proposal for the new arena. They think that a deal being offered by the city, which is honestly giving them more than they deserve as it is, is somehow not good enough for them. I have yet to a single open, honest statement or move by the organization.

Reactions: ckg927 and Mobiandi

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
King didn't outright lie in that interview, no. Not like he did when he claimed the Flames would be paying for 133% of the new arena or whatever.

But he definitely implied one thing, which has turned out to not really be true. Every time King has tried to make some appeal to the public by playing the victim, the city has simply pointed out the flaws in the argument and left the team looking bad. This is that, yet again.

If the Flames' bottom line hasn't really changed, and the only reason they're now at #11 instead of #10 is because of another team making more money, and the only effect of this change is that they now get paid by the league instead of paying the league.... then doesn't that mean that they are now about to make slightly more money than they were before, all because of Edmonton? And he is attempting to make it seem like the well has suddenly gone dry, when in fact their financial situation has improved relative to last year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Well if we are #11 and receiving revenue sharing, then it would be outside of the top 10 wouldn't it? And King never made it sound like they were a bottom team, that was how you chose to interpret it. Because if you paid attention he stated they were no longer in the top 10, not bottom half of the league, not bottom third, not near the bottom, but no longer in the top 10. Which told me they were ranked 11-15

He also said they we're now a 'have not' the narrative he was trying to spin was clear as day.

Additionally, receiving revenue sharing doesn't mean a team isn't profitable. Which is again, what King was trying to spin.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The situations aren't remotely comparable. This is more like Atlanta, Winnipeg and Quebec City and not at all like Arizona, because wait for it..... they have an arena :banghead:

So do the Flames. The Saddledome is still 8 years younger than Rexall was when it was retired. This idea that we 'don't have an arena' is hilarious.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
So does Calgary.

So do the Flames. The Saddledome is still 8 years younger than Rexall was when it was retired. This idea that we 'don't have an arena' is hilarious.

We have an areana for now and being 8 years younger than Rexall means nothing, that place had been a shit holes for years. The Saddledome is the oldest rink in the league now and it needs to be replaced, the older it gets the more it will impact revenue streams.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
He also said they we're now a 'have not' the narrative he was trying to spin was clear as day.

Additionally, receiving revenue sharing doesn't mean a team isn't profitable. Which is again, what King was trying to spin.
They all try and spin things, which is why you just have to think. He wanted it to sound as dire as possible without lying, no doubt but he stated outside the top 10 in revenue, not bottom of the league. If someone assumed he meant bottom of the league that is because they never put enough thought into it. It's not King's fault people are idiots.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
They all try and spin things, which is why you just have to think. He wanted it to sound as dire as possible without lying, no doubt but he stated outside the top 10 in revenue, not bottom of the league. If someone assumed he meant bottom of the league that is because they never put enough thought into it. It's not King's fault people are idiots.
King knows exactly what he's saying will drum up fear in the uneducated who don't follow things as closely as some of us. That doesn't make them idiots. Gullible, perhaps, but not idiots.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
King knows exactly what he's saying will drum up fear in the uneducated who don't follow things as closely as some of us. That doesn't make them idiots. Gullible, perhaps, but not idiots.

Luckily cooler heads will prevail. Nenshi will win the election and the CSEC are going to be called on their bluff. They will either sell or come back to the table eventually.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
There is people following this closer than I am that made that assumption. They are indeed idiots.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If the Flames' bottom line hasn't really changed, and the only reason they're now at #11 instead of #10 is because of another team making more money, and the only effect of this change is that they now get paid by the league instead of paying the league.... then doesn't that mean that they are now about to make slightly more money than they were before, all because of Edmonton?
I was wondering this exact thing myself.

Luckily cooler heads will prevail. Nenshi will win the election and the CSEC are going to be called on their bluff. They will either sell or come back to the table eventually.
With the ineptitude of CSEC (Ken King's) statements, I almost wondered if he's lobbing softballs for Nenshi to hit out of the park on purpose, to increase his popularity. Unfortunately while that's a great movie script, it's not reality.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
:yo:

"Edmonton is the clear example of this. I mean, clearly, so much of Edmonton's flagging, sad, little ego is tied up in their hockey success that they needed to sign a scam of a deal to give a sweetheart arena over to (Oilers owner) Darryl Katz. And now all of a sudden the expectation is that Calgary is going to fall in line?"
"I'm afraid we're not that pathetic," she said. "We're just not that pathetic, as a city."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-political-panel-flames-nhl-bettman-arena-1.4313740?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->