Flames 'New' Arena II - 'No it's yours, I insist'

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It definitely takes very little to come to that conclusion, yes. Extremely little.

The good news is that the conclusion is only possible with such little thought.
This conclusion also has years of civic service and research behind it. But what does that matter in a forum like this?

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Pretty sad research then. The bulk of the money 'from' the City is via a new ticket tax and the donation of city owned land. The CSEC will pay for one half of the costs and at the end of the day the City will own the Event Centre lock, stock, and barrel. So you have private investment being made on a facility that they won't own. This private investment will not only maintain the economic activity that the Flames, Hitmen, and other entertainment brings. It will also spur other construction and businesses to build in the area and revitalize Vic Park. There will be economic gains (and tax revenues) from that activity.

Meanwhile City Unions have their heads in the sand buying into that tired old rhetoric that they should be immune from economic downturn. Pay us. We don't care where you get the money just pay. Or else there will be catastrophic results.

Now I happen to agree with maintaining fire and police budgets. I also think that the City is a large corporation that should easily find savings from their $4B budget. The City Manager and his underlings should be fired if they cannot without playing the usual game of playing chicken little.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This conclusion also has years of civic service and research behind it. But what does that matter in a forum like this?

Oh yes, I'm forgetting those myriad cities that invested in a major sports team only to crumple into nothingness soon after. For some reason, I am only considering the mountain of evidence that suggests otherwise.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

The flat earth society's claims are also backed with a vast array of calculations and research that they will discuss with every average Joe they meet. But you don't see the same level of combat from them when an intellectual approaches them with 9.8 m/s/s.

I mean, its fine to have contrarian opinions. But to default to us being individuals who are lining billionaire's pockets the moment you're not getting the support and acceptance of your opinion you expected... that's grade school temper tantrum stuff. There are others on this site who agree with you that they don't want the arena, but want no part of the way you're trying to explain and justify your opinion.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Money can be moved around so funds dedicated to the arena can also be used for other uses.

And your ageism is as repulsive as your willingness to see a city suffer so that billionaires can run off with more money than they need.

Not sure you also understand what ageism is. Ageism would assume I have a bias against older people, which I don't. Ageism would assume I think your wrong because of your age, while in reality your wrong because your ignorant, regardless of age.

And if you think the city is suffering because they are paying $125 million outright for an arena and loaning (it means they get the money back, it comes from a ticket tax) another $125 million for the arena you're completely delusional and I mean completely.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm glad the arena is finally going through - it's long overdue and it's annoying that they were hung up over the Edmonton deal for so long.

At the same time, with how much the city's expanded over the years, the CTrain is ripe for further development. The fact that there still isn't a line that connects the airport to downtown Calgary is sad

Reactions: super6646

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm glad the arena is finally going through - it's long overdue and it's annoying that they were hung up over the Edmonton deal for so long.

At the same time, with how much the city's expanded over the years, the CTrain is ripe for further development. The fact that there still isn't a line that connects the airport to downtown Calgary is sad
Fun fact, the Green Line won't go to the airport either.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Couldn’t they just expand the blue line?
It's similarly far from the airport as the green line, but on the other side.

If I recall there was thoughts of a light rail cross-link between the blue and green line near the airport; that'd make the most sense, but be incredibly expensive. Not positive but I think the tunnel may have provided accommodations for it.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I have a problem with wasting money while tax revenues plunge. And they will keep plunging as the Calgary economy fails even more. I was having coffee today with a Dad who said that his kid has to look for another job because his company is collapsing, This city is heading for a cliff and nobody on council wants to take on the serious costs. They want to fiddle and fuss about the nickel and dime crap.
You do realize that this is going to be a large scale project and will keep hundreds, if not thousands of people working for at least a couple years?

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad