Flames 'New' Arena II - 'No it's yours, I insist'

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
One would think it'd be better to properly service the first 12 stations or so of the line well, and expand later. Rather than poorly service the line across 12 stretched out stations that won't serve the majority of potential ridership well, and make expansion more difficult down the road (disrupt the now existing line length to add new stations).

We are talking about Calgary transit though, every time I am forced to drive by the Victoria Park/MacLeod intersection where the train comes out of the ground one intersection too early, creating a completely avoidable traffic jam.

But I am not a city planner so what do I know.

More than any Calgary city planner.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I am close to Evan Woolley by a family connection. I am not going to speculate on anything, but I can confirm that he is without a shadow of a doubt, a big Flames fan. I don't think he would want to lose the Flames either. I was planning on asking him about the Arena at Christmas, and could maybe share if it's not sensitive.
Sounds to me that he made the "political" decision to vote against the new event center knowing that spending that kind of money on a new arena for pro hockey players is unpopular in his ward (Ward 8 which is basically the downtown area) and that he knew that he would lose by a large margin. Politicians being politicians. Two faced... :naughty:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
But I am not a city planner so what do I know.

04f.gif

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
A thoughtless, hideous act by a dangerously incompetent council. We'll be paying for this disaster for decades while the rich Flames' owners whistle to the bank with the profits.

All of this while our police and fire departments are starved of necessary staff and resources.
I completely disagree with your opinion. I do find it odd that the $500M that the council has allocated to the expansion of the BMO Conference Center didn't get near this kind of push back.

but that's all I'm going to say.. I'm just going to sit back and :popcorn:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I completely disagree with your opinion. I do find it odd that the $500M that the council has allocated to the expansion of the BMO Conference Center didn't get near this kind of push back.

but that's all I'm going to say.. I'm just going to sit back and :popcorn:
Well, when our houses have burned to the ground without any response from the fire department we can send out thank you cards to the Flames.

I can hear the conversation now:
"Mommy, why did our house burn to the ground?"
"Because the rich Flames owners are more important than our safety Honey".
Brutal.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well, when our houses have burned to the ground without any response from the fire department we can send out thank you cards to the Flames.

Brutal.
Then I expect you were just a vociferously opposed to the $500 million that council is spending on the expansion of the BMO Conference Center?

Reactions: Nanuuk

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Brutal.

“Because daddy left the stove on while he was making ludicrous arguments and yelling at people on the internet with different opinions than him, honey”

Brutal

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Then I expect you were just a vociferously opposed to the $500 million that council is spending on the expansion of the BMO Conference Center?
Absolutely - and the northern green line. We can't afford frills right now.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
“Because daddy left the stove on while he was making ludicrous arguments and yelling at people on the internet with different opinions than him, honey”

Brutal
Well, we'll see who's being ludicrous when the city fails to recover the money they've thrown into the trough.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Absolutely - and the northern green line. We can't afford frills right now.
I'd love to see those posts expressing your opposition to the $500 million BMO expansion. You seem quite upset about the $275 million that Calgary is spending on a new event center... I expect you must have been frothing at the mouth when city council said they were going to spend almost double that amount on a refurbished convention center.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Brutal.

I don't think you understand where the money from the City is coming from if you think it takes away from the fire department.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'd love to see those posts expressing your opposition to the $500 million BMO expansion. You seem quite upset about the $275 million that Calgary is spending on a new event center... I expect you must have been frothing at the mouth when city council said they were going to spend almost double that amount on a refurbished convention center.
I have a problem with wasting money while tax revenues plunge. And they will keep plunging as the Calgary economy fails even more. I was having coffee today with a Dad who said that his kid has to look for another job because his company is collapsing, This city is heading for a cliff and nobody on council wants to take on the serious costs. They want to fiddle and fuss about the nickel and dime crap.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I don't think you understand where the money from the City is coming from if you think it takes away from the fire department.
All of our tax dollars go into the same pot regardless of how it's divied up after that. The money going into the pockets of Flames owners should be going into other, far more important services.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
All of our tax dollars go into the same pot regardless of how it's divied up after that. The money going into the pockets of Flames owners should be going into other, far more important services.

That's not how it works at all and extremely incorrect.

1. Federal, Provincial and Municipal are totally different pots. Think a dude, his dad and his uncle.
2. There's then subdivisions under all 3 which spend and save independently of the other divisions. Think the dude and other family members.
3. Taking a chunk out of the arena/infrastructure funds to pay for the Police/Fire department is like taking money from the kid's RESP to pay for some utility bills. It's funds that are earmarked for something specific that by law isn't supposed to be used for something else.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
That's not how it works at all and extremely incorrect.

3. Taking a chunk out of the arena/infrastructure funds to pay for the Police/Fire department is like taking money from the kid's RESP to pay for some utility bills. It's funds that are earmarked for something specific that by law isn't supposed to be used for something else.
Horrible comparison. Canceling the arena deal frees up money that can be reassigned to more important services.

But who cares right? As long as the billionaires win and everybody else suffers.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Horrible comparison. Canceling the arena deal frees up money that can be reassigned to more important services.

But who cares right? As long as the billionaires win and everybody else suffers.

It’s not a comparison. He’s literally explaining to you how taxes work in a simplistic way to make you understand

Whoosh though, apparently

Reactions: Fig and Nanuuk

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It’s not a comparison. He’s literally explaining to you how taxes work in a simplistic way to make you understand

Whoosh though, apparently
Well, it doesn't take much to know we're cooked as a city and this deal is one of the reasons why the free fall is going to be a lot worse than it should be. I hope people enjoy their new arena - it's coming at an ugly, frightful cost.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, it doesn't take much to know we're cooked as a city and this deal is one of the reasons why the free fall is going to be a lot worse than it should be. I hope people enjoy their new arena - it's coming at an ugly, frightful cost.

It definitely takes very little to come to that conclusion, yes. Extremely little.

The good news is that the conclusion is only possible with such little thought.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
And don't forget that our houses will burn to the ground, leaving families homeless, because the fire department didn't show up.

I liked that one... very dramatic.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

The only ugly thing here is that I'm fairly certain you're an older adult and still can't comprehend how taxes and cities work.

The money for the arena comes from a public projects fund or something (different name). But you're right, why improve our city when we can allocate $700 trillion into the fire department so a firefighter makes $79 million.

If the city didn't put this money into the arena then they build some other public project with the same money. How much 100's of millions were spent on the public library? I can honestly say I will likely never use it, however I support it 100% as it's good for the city.

Also, Fig's comparison is in actuality 100% accurate and correct.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The only ugly thing here is that I'm fairly certain you're an older adult and still can't comprehend how taxes and cities work.

The money for the arena comes from a public projects fund or something (different name). But you're right, why improve our city when we can allocate $700 trillion into the fire department so a firefighter makes $79 million.

If the city didn't put this money into the arena then they build some other public project with the same money. How much 100's of millions were spent on the public library? I can honestly say I will likely never use it, however I support it 100% as it's good for the city.

Also, Fig's comparison is in actuality 100% accurate and correct.
Money can be moved around so funds dedicated to the arena can also be used for other uses.

And your ageism is as repulsive as your willingness to see a city suffer so that billionaires can run off with more money than they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad