Flames Development Camp

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
it just hit me that gaudreau- monahan is our kane-toews. hopefully mcdavid can center baertschi.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
it just hit me that gaudreau- monahan is our kane-toews. hopefully mcdavid can center baertschi.

For the last time, we can't draft McDavid if we get the 30th overall pick for the next few years. :sarcasm: The way it's going, I would love to get McDavid though, people make him sound amazing.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For the last time, we can't draft McDavid if we get the 30th overall pick for the next few years. :sarcasm: The way it's going, I would love to get McDavid though, people make him sound amazing.

I'm not even hopeful that we get him. I just don't think we'll be bad enough for enough time to have high odds, and I can't see us winning the lottery from, say, 8th or 9th overall.

I'm just crossing my fingers he ends up in the East.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I'm not even hopeful that we get him. I just don't think we'll be bad enough for enough time to have high odds, and I can't see us winning the lottery from, say, 8th or 9th overall.

I'm just crossing my fingers he ends up in the East.

Me neither, I don't think we will ever get a 1st overall pick. And knowing our luck, the Oilers will get him. >.>

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
even if we draft around 5th overall in 2015 it would be great. that draft is loaded with talent. jack eichel, barzal, strome

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monahan and JG makes me happy.
I agreed months ago with one of the posters here... Monahan would be only a ~50-60 point center in the NHL, however if he got a high skill winger, he could push 70... Calgary might have just hit the lab and figured out the chemistry here.

If Poirier develops properly... something like:
JG - Monahan - Emile
would be nasty. Hands, speed and hockey sense up and down the lineup... additionally, Monahan and Emile are truly full ice players.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think we'll be more in the running for the 1st overall than people think. With Kipper, Iginla, Bouwmeester in our healthiest line-up that I can remember in a long time, we were pushing for the basement. Less games to play is also a factor. We were good down the stretch that's just the mystery of the game. For some reason basement dwellers are the worst spoilers, likely because there's no pressure and nothing but fun once you're out of it.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I'm super impressed with our 'unknown' selections of Kanzig and Harrison. Both seem like smart players and both are very big and physical. They made a much bigger impact at camp than a lot of guys who have more experience and hype than them.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I like the fact we have tough, hard to play against defenceman coming up. Seiloff and Kanzig on our back end would be a nightmare for opposing forwards. Both would likely have to be on a line with a good skilled d man. If they were together the puck may not leave our own zone but there would be badly hurt forwards implanted in our boards.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm super impressed with our 'unknown' selections of Kanzig and Harrison. Both seem like smart players and both are very big and physical. They made a much bigger impact at camp than a lot of guys who have more experience and hype than them.

Great sequence for Tim Harrison during the game. Threw a really big hit, drew a penalty, scored a goal. Not bad for a shift's work.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend/watch any of the camp but I keep hearing great things about Tim Harrison on the board from you all. Could someone try to summarize his camp? What kind of player is? Even try to gauge his potential? Seems like a great pick from all I have been reading.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend/watch any of the camp but I keep hearing great things about Tim Harrison on the board from you all. Could someone try to summarize his camp? What kind of player is? Even try to gauge his potential? Seems like a great pick from all I have been reading.

Very physical, solid defensively, decent offensive player. He reminds me a far bit of Glencross when we first signed him. His potential is 4th liner with a bit of offense.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I like the fact we have tough, hard to play against defenceman coming up. Seiloff and Kanzig on our back end would be a nightmare for opposing forwards. Both would likely have to be on a line with a good skilled d man. If they were together the puck may not leave our own zone but there would be badly hurt forwards implanted in our boards.

I'm okay with the latter. I like the idea of Calgary becoming a ****-kicker dynasty. ;) And we've got Breen too...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Side note, opened the gate for Berra when his hands were full and no trainers were around, asked for his stick and he gave me one. Got it signed too!

I'm still chuckling over that. I should have gotten Ortio to sign the puck he almost he me with at the end there. We'll see how many sticks you get tomorrow :laugh:

I'm looking forward to doing my end of camp write up. A few guys are going to get some glowing reviews.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I think we'll be more in the running for the 1st overall than people think. With Kipper, Iginla, Bouwmeester in our healthiest line-up that I can remember in a long time, we were pushing for the basement. Less games to play is also a factor. We were good down the stretch that's just the mystery of the game. For some reason basement dwellers are the worst spoilers, likely because there's no pressure and nothing but fun once you're out of it.

I agree, we our very weak down the middle, defense has holes and our goaltending is unknown. I would not be shocked to see us battling for the lottery pick the next 2 years.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Kipper was a main reason that we did as poorly as we did. I love the guy and respect everything he did as a Flame but last season he was a disaster. With the competition for NHL jobs between Ramo,MacDonald,Berra, and an outside shot of Ortio I think our goaltending will be much better.

I am not saying we will be great or anything but I think we will end up drafting 7-10.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Kipper was a main reason that we did as poorly as we did. I love the guy and respect everything he did as a Flame but last season he was a disaster. With the competition for NHL jobs between Ramo,MacDonald,Berra, and an outside shot of Ortio I think our goaltending will be much better.

I am not saying we will be great or anything but I think we will end up drafting 7-10.

His stats were bad, but realistically, he only played in half of our games. Also, despite the bad stats, a very significant portion of the goals he allowed were due to defensive breakdowns, not just soft goaltending. There was a pattern of those that continued regardless of which netminder was guarding the twine.

That said, I agree with your final assessment. I think that we may experience a little bit of a surge just from sheer youth as opposed to tired, veteran legs, and especially when you consider how many green and maliable players will be learning Hartley's system with the benefit of a full training camp.

I think we'll be hungrier and more energetic, and I think that will balance out the perceived loss of talent.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Kipper had a bad year, but Irving/Taylor/Macdonald were no better. Given that neither Berra or Ramo have played a day in the NHL, while playing behind a team always on the defense because of poor face-off/possession time, all while have no legit #1/2 pairing defensemen, we're suppose to have better tending?

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
how was jankowski in the game today. do you guys think he will make the nhl or is he still a long shot. Im hoping he proves every one wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00