Flames Development Camp

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
How is Jones and Galliardi more physical? Avs fans were saying Jones was soft.

And we already had Sven and Brodie while Tanguay and Bouwmeester was on the roster. They didn't replace them, they only got a promotion.

And what good would it serve us to go on a Columbus-like run? Why not draft a star forward or defensemen with our top 5 pick, while trading Stempniak + Cammy at the deadline for more future assets.

In 3 years we could have Janko, Ekblad, Gaudrea, Monahan, Reinhart. as our forward core. We saw this year how Monahan could have easily become Drouin or Jones, so why waste that opportunity again?

Jbo, Tangs had 57 hits while Jones and Sob players had 87 and Sob only played 28 games. We absolutely got more physical. Seeing how many fans will talk **** about Tangs after he got traded makes me believe that fans will say anything about a former player to make themselves feel better so I don't think you can put a lot of stock into the Avs fans opinions.

If you are on the tank bandwagon that is your choice I personally find it a joke that fans would ever cheer for their team to lose. You ask whats the point of going on a Columbus like run maybe you should ask their fans which season they preferred as they have done both. Top 5 picks are never a guarantee and I find it funny as hell that apparently Jones the next Pronger and we got stuck with Monahan who isn't that good. I would have taken Monahan over Jones if those were the choices as I was very vocal at the fact that I didn't think Jones would ever live up to his hype.

Sven 100% got Tangs ice time once he got hurt he did replace him at the end of last year and he was great. Brodie took over the #1 defenseman role after Jbo was traded and while not as good was not out of his element. We are replacing Tangs and Jbo with Sven and Brodie and are replacing what Sven and Brodie were last year with Jones, Galiaradi, Sob.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As for Knight, I don't see him playing until after the Cammalleri trade. Where would he fit into a starting lineup? We have Cammalleri, Hudler, Backlund and Stajan, and moving those players to the wings only makes things more complicated. Maybe Hudler to the right would work out, but that also probably sacrifices his point production. Knight will be winning faceoffs for Abbotsford for a few months.

Well for starters Hudler has never been a center in the NHL and won't be here so that already makes a spot. Cammy is mostly a winger and given that we have Stajan and Backlund (who Feaster called a #3 center) with Feaster comments about needing another top 6 center makes me believe they no longer see Cammy as a top 6 option. Or center depth is most likely

Stajan
Backlund
Monahan
Knight

or if Cammy is used as a center because Monahan isn't ready

Cammy
Stajan
Backlund
Knight

Hudler is a LWer plain and simple he doesn't like the RW and isn't a center. Cammy can play all 3 forward positions and is a more effective winger then center. Feaster has already said that Knight has every chance to make the team and that he thinks he is ready not to mention he was given #10 at camp instead of a high non traditional hockey number meaning that Flames management see him using #10 with the big club this year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Jbo, Tangs had 57 hits while Jones and Sob players had 87 and Sob only played 28 games. We absolutely got more physical. Seeing how many fans will talk **** about Tangs after he got traded makes me believe that fans will say anything about a former player to make themselves feel better so I don't think you can put a lot of stock into the Avs fans opinions.

If you are on the tank bandwagon that is your choice I personally find it a joke that fans would ever cheer for their team to lose. You ask whats the point of going on a Columbus like run maybe you should ask their fans which season they preferred as they have done both. Top 5 picks are never a guarantee and I find it funny as hell that apparently Jones the next Pronger and we got stuck with Monahan who isn't that good. I would have taken Monahan over Jones if those were the choices as I was very vocal at the fact that I didn't think Jones would ever live up to his hype.

Sven 100% got Tangs ice time once he got hurt he did replace him at the end of last year and he was great. Brodie took over the #1 defenseman role after Jbo was traded and while not as good was not out of his element. We are replacing Tangs and Jbo with Sven and Brodie and are replacing what Sven and Brodie were last year with Jones, Galiaradi, Sob.

I'm not cheering for the team to lose. If you recall, I wanted a top 6 centremen and a top 4 defensemen during free agenzy frenzy. But because Feaster didn't want to "overpay" to fix huge holes -- to even go so far as to downgrade our top 6 play maker in Tanguay -- it seems to me like the playoffs is not the goal. And if it is, Feaster is crazier than ever.

Like I said, I would prefer a top 5 pick or a playoff spot, but being in between won't help us, nor has it helped us for the past 5 years.

What I find to be a joke is the clouded judgement surrounding this franchise. We are not Detroit and going to be in the playoffs for 20 consecutive years, nor are we Chicago and have a cup winning team. We are in a rebuild!! We're rebuilding our prospect pool, as well as our contending line-up. We didn't trade an allstar winger for a 100 pt replacement, nor did we trade an Olympian defensemen for an equal alternative, we traded them for draft picks. In fact, the stars have to align for the Flames to make the playoffs. Let's realistically examine our team:

1) The only goalie we have who has EVER played a day in the NHL is a 33 year old career back-up.

2) We have Backlund and Stajan as our number 1 and 2 centremen. Backs has 62 points in 170 games while Stajan 88 points in 207 games as a Flame. Both are 3rd line centres on most other teams.

3) Our top 4 has Brodie, Wideman, Giordano and Butler. These guys have to defend our unknown goalie position. None are known to be great defensive defensemen.

You can live in your dream world all you want. But don't criticize anybody else for wanting the only realistic opportunity for a successful franchise. Because don't get it twisted, that's exactly what I want for the Flames. To win a cup, or to be in the playoffs for 20 consecutive years. I'm willing to delay my immediate gratification to obtain that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I just remembered that Sven Baertschi was dealing with a groin injury after the season, which forced him to miss the Swiss team's magical run. Does anyone know if he was fully recovered from that during the camp? Was he at less than 100%? It would explain a lot if he was below form, especially his disappearance from the scrimmage yesterday.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Well for starters Hudler has never been a center in the NHL and won't be here so that already makes a spot. Cammy is mostly a winger and given that we have Stajan and Backlund (who Feaster called a #3 center) with Feaster comments about needing another top 6 center makes me believe they no longer see Cammy as a top 6 option. Or center depth is most likely

Stajan
Backlund
Monahan
Knight

or if Cammy is used as a center because Monahan isn't ready

Cammy
Stajan
Backlund
Knight

Hudler is a LWer plain and simple he doesn't like the RW and isn't a center. Cammy can play all 3 forward positions and is a more effective winger then center. Feaster has already said that Knight has every chance to make the team and that he thinks he is ready not to mention he was given #10 at camp instead of a high non traditional hockey number meaning that Flames management see him using #10 with the big club this year.

Wasn't Hudler playing centre all last year? I remember when we signed him he was being touted as the solution to our first-line centre problem. I suppose if we want to move him to LW we can, but it depends on whether it's more important to put him or Cammy in their natural position. I think it'll probably be Hudler moved though so we would see Cammy, Backlund, Stajan, Knight with Horak coming in to play fourth line after the deadline.

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
Wasn't Hudler playing centre all last year? I remember when we signed him he was being touted as the solution to our first-line centre problem. I suppose if we want to move him to LW we can, but it depends on whether it's more important to put him or Cammy in their natural position. I think it'll probably be Hudler moved though so we would see Cammy, Backlund, Stajan, Knight with Horak coming in to play fourth line after the deadline.

Maybe you're thinking of Cervenka? They were touting him as Jokinen's replacement initially. It was actually pretty funny how a 60 second google search revealed he had very little center experience in the KHL, was unlikely to win a faceoff, and was obviously better suited to the wing :laugh:

In any case, Hudler was mostly on the wing last year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Maybe you're thinking of Cervenka? They were touting him as Jokinen's replacement initially. It was actually pretty funny how a 60 second google search revealed he had very little center experience in the KHL, was unlikely to win a faceoff, and was obviously better suited to the wing :laugh:

In any case, Hudler was on the wing (pretty much) exclusively last year.

I'm pretty sure that Cervenka took faceoffs and was pretty proficient at it in the KHL. That was why we initially thought he was a centre. The truth was that he took faceoffs and then played positionally as a winger.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

In any case, Hudler was on the wing (pretty much) exclusively last year.

I do remember them talking about Cervenka like that, yeah, but also about Hudler. Funny, though, since he's listed as a centre on the website and everything.

Well, either way, the fact that he'll probably play left wing makes room for Knight, so my fears have been assuaged.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I do remember them talking about Cervenka like that, yeah, but also about Hudler. Funny, though, since he's listed as a centre on the website and everything.

Well, either way, the fact that he'll probably play left wing makes room for Knight, so my fears have been assuaged.

Mike Cammalleri has, for as long as I can remember, been listed as a centre in all of the NHL games. It happens. Apparently the guys who watch the Flames and the guys who do this sort of job where they note their positions only get together and meet quinquennially.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Mike Cammalleri has, for as long as I can remember, been listed as a centre in all of the NHL games. It happens. Apparently the guys who watch the Flames and the guys who do this sort of job where they note their positions only get together and meet quinquennially.

With Cammy it's at least understandable. Wasn't he also playing as centre during his first stint with the team (which made for the awesome Iggy-Cammy chemistry during that first year)?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
With Cammy it's at least understandable. Wasn't he also playing as centre during his first stint with the team (which made for the awesome Iggy-Cammy chemistry during that first year)?

Well, my memory is less than spectacular for that era, but I remember Iginla, Cammalleri and Jokinen being able to coexist on a line, so I'm not sure. I also remember how when Cammalleri stepped in to play centre last year (or the year before?), all the media types were talking about how he'd played that position in juniors as if that was the last time he'd played it.

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure that Cervenka took faceoffs and was pretty proficient at it in the KHL. That was why we initially thought he was a centre. The truth was that he took faceoffs and then played positionally as a winger.

Looked again, my mistake. He was fairly good at faceoffs in the K.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hey guys, I'm working on my final report for the camp as today wasn't really long enough to do much scouting, but I need to cool down. Some assclown elbowed his way into the conversation I was having with Rob Kerr after the camp finished, and I had to wait two HOURS for him to shut up or let me get a word in, and then Rob had to leave, so I'm pretty ****ing peeved right now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

No, left-wing with Langkow or Conroy down the middle. And the chemistry died when Jokinen was brought in.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
No, left-wing with Langkow or Conroy down the middle. And the chemistry died when Jokinen was brought in.

I do believe Lombardi may have started the season at #1C too IIRC.

Also the short lived "good fellows line" of

Cammalleri - Lombardi - Bertuzzi

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Man, I remember almost every single play dying on his stick for the longest time. So painful to watch.

I remember his hat trick against the Leafs. Especially the goal where the puck flipped over their D's heads and he skated around and poked it in.

But yeah, I remember it being a very strained partnership between Iginla and him. Don't forget, though, that we made the playoffs. More than we've been able to say for a while.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I remember his hat trick against the Leafs. Especially the goal where the puck flipped over their D's heads and he skated around and poked it in.

But yeah, I remember it being a very strained partnership between Iginla and him. Don't forget, though, that we made the playoffs. More than we've been able to say for a while.

We were a playoff team when we added Olli. We didn't need Jokinen to get that far. And then we had a massive collapse and managed to grab 5th.

We have missed every year since then.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We were a playoff team when we added Olli. We didn't need Jokinen to get that far. And then we had a massive collapse and managed to grab 5th.

We have missed every year since then.

It's true, it's just funny to remember that as bad as we seemed post-allstar break, we were still a playoff team, while now being a playoff team seems like an unreachable and elite status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad